Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to cut first 3 characters of each line in a file Post 302189184 by bisla.yogender on Friday 25th of April 2008 07:37:18 AM
Old 04-25-2008
You can also try:

#!/bin/bash
cat sample1.txt| while read line
do
cut -b -3 |tee result.txt
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut first 4 characters from a line

Please let me know how to cut first four characters from a line in UNIX after grepping the file.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushikraman
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut 1st 2 characters off all line1st in file

I know this sounds simple, but I have a logfile with > something > something_else > another_entry ... how do I cut the first 2 characters off the left side? I tried to use cut -c 1-2 somefile > someotherfile but that just cut gave me the 2 left characters, I want to cut those out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i cut first line of a file

i want to cut first line of a file and use it.It should remove that line from file content.Plz help me (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arghya_owen
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut between characters of a file

Hi All, Need to convert file names to upper case using tr command in Unix. In a folder -> /apps/dd01/misc there are two files like: pi-abcd567sd.pdf pi-efgh1.pdf The output of should be like: pi-ABCD567SD.pdf pi-EFGH1.pdf I have used the command to work as below: for f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to cut first 21 and 32-25 characters from file

Guys, can you help me in doing cut first 21 and 32-35 characters from file. I tried with cut -c to cut first 21 characters ,It is succeeded. But i need both first 21 and 32-35. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
1 Replies

6. AIX

How to cut a flat file according to a certain number of characters?

hello everybody i am looking for a shell to cut a flat file (with a long unique line) according to a certain number of characters and redirect every result to an output file. here is an example MyFile : 12 3 456 12 3 456 12 3 456 ..... and i took every 9-characters including BLANKS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastlane3000
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut last 13 characters and take the rest of the file name

Hi, I would like to cut last 13 characters of a file name and take the rename the file name as follows: Input: A.DAT20110517033732 Output: A.DAT I have tried the following command and cut last 13 characters. echo A.DAT20110517033732 | awk '{print substr($0, length($0)-13)}' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut certain characters for each line in a file

Hi Everyone, i have a file 1.txt <a><a"" dd>aaaaauweopriuew</f><">!(^)!</aa></ff> <a><a"" dd>bbbbbuweopriuew</f><">!(^*)!</aa></ff> i know i can use perl -p -i -e "s/>aaaaa/aa/g" 1.txt perl -p -i -e "s/>bbbbb/bb/g" 1.txt to acheive only keep the first two characters of the five characters,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the variable from the line and use it to find the file and read the content of that file

Hi, I am working on one script..I am having files in the below format file 1 (each line is separated with : delimeter) SPLASH:SPLASH:SVN CIB/MCH:MCH:SVN Now I want from file 1 that most left part of the first line will store in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the first 100 characters of file

Hello all, I have a file and would like to cut the first 100 characters of the first line. I tried it with the ‘cut’-command: cut –c100- $file > $file.tmp But this does not work, because it will cut the first 100 characters of each line. But I need to cut them only from the beginning of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
6 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)