Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Tape Status shows 2 Hard errors and 5 Underruns on new tape Post 302188896 by Skyybugg on Thursday 24th of April 2008 01:23:56 PM
Old 04-24-2008
Tools

I have similar issues with one of two Compaq boxes running SCO.
I got hard errors but no under runs. I do get the end of medium errors too. I have a dat 4 tape drive that only needs one cleaning 2 or 3 times a week to get it to work. I am replacing my tapes now, even though my tapes are less than a year old. Maybe the tapes are buggering the drive. My drive has been replaced twice by HP.
sounds like you are not alone.
SkyyBugg

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO 5.0.5 Tape Drive errors

hi guys, I.m trying to remove and add a new tape drive by using the mkdev tape command and when i try to update the Kernel this is what i'm getting, i386ld: Symbol Sdsk_no_tag in /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Eb/etc/conf/pack.d/blad/s pace.o is multiply defined. First defined in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Space free on tape /delete a single file on tape

Hi, I' using a sun solaris server, I would like to known if there is the possibility to control how many space is free on a tape and how I can delete a single file on a tape. Thanks DOMENICO (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mt command shows /dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device

Hello guys, on my Red Hat machine the /bin/mt status command gives the output dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device. This messages comes up after the Server has been rebooted. Anybody an idea? Thx masterofdesaster (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterofdesaste
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Hard Error:DAT Tape Drive

Well I have just added new tape drive to my server (lto) However I am getting few errors in using it. I have checked status with #iostat -En : giving me few hard errors, few soft errors and execution error. Also tape status is not visible as "no sense" its coming as "no additional sense". I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
5 Replies

6. AIX

Tape status command

We sometime run backups to tape in the background using the cron. Is there a command that will show me how fast the information is being written and or how much data has been written? I know if we enter the information via the command prompt or smit it shows the speed and amount written. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
2 Replies

7. AIX

Tape drive write status

Is there a command on AIX that will show the write status of a tape? We have sysback running via a cron job backing up to a tape. I want to be able to check the progress of the backup. I need a command that will show ne the progress of the backup or the speed of the backup while it is taking... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check tape drive status on HP-UX

Hi all, We have an ESL tape library with legato networker software. From GUI - networker administrator, i can see that 3 of our tape drives are in service mode. How can i view the same thing by issuing commands in HP-UX. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
1 Replies

9. AIX

Ejecting tape on AIX & Some Tape commands

I am trying to use this command to eject the tape mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload but it gives me error mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload mt: 0511-575 unload is not a recognized subcommand. Usage: mt Subcommand Valid subcommands are: weof eof fsf bsf ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling tape errors in script

AIX 7.1 Here's the script #!/bin/ksh find . -print > filelist.txt backup -ivqf/dev/rmt0 < filelist.txt > backup.log if ; then echo "Backup to tape failed!" >> backup.log else echo "Backup to tape successfull!" >> backup.log fi mail -v -s "Backup report" maillist < backup.log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: landog
4 Replies
st(1M)																	    st(1M)

NAME
st - shared tape administration SYNOPSIS
device_file DESCRIPTION
The command provides users with a command-line interface to check the status of a shared tape device or to reclaim a shared tape device from a host system that has failed while holding a reservation on the shared tape device. The command can also be used for the same pur- pose on shared library robotic devices. To use the command you must have root user id. Please see examples below for usage. Options recognizes the following options and arguments: Specifies the tape device file or sctl/esctl pass-through device file for the shared tape/library device. This parameter is mandatory and will report an error if device_file is omitted. Allows the user to reclaim a shared tape device or shared library robotic device in the case where a host failed while holding a reservation on the shared device. This option causes a bus device reset to be issued to the device specified by the option. Prints out the current status of the shared tape/library device specified by the option. RETURN VALUE
returns 0 upon successful completion and 1 otherwise. EXAMPLES
The following shows three examples of output from the above command. The above output indicates that the shared device is reserved by another host and is therefore unavailable at this time. The above output indicates that the shared device is not ready for use at this time. The above output indicates that the shared device is ready for use at this time. To reclaim a shared tape/library device from a failed host, the following command can be used: WARNINGS
The option must be used with care. When reclaiming devices, it must be ensured that the host from which the device is being reclaimed has in fact failed, as data may be lost as the result of reclaiming a device that is currently in use by another host. AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard. SEE ALSO
mt(1), scsi(7), scsi_ctl(7). st(1M)