Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications How to automatically detect command failure Post 302188706 by ashok2008 on Thursday 24th of April 2008 05:10:22 AM
Old 04-24-2008
How to automatically detect command failure

I have a shell script. In this script I executes various command and my requirement is such that if any command fails I've to terminate the shell script.

To achieve this objective I'm checking the value of $? after each command and if its value is greater thaen I 'exit' the script.

Is there any way through which I can avoid the if condition on $? after each and every command as It a pain to put if condition after every command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

failure of at command

This is my first posting. I am not a very sophisticated UNIX user. I am trying to have an existing control string trigger another process at 4:00 p.m. My command looks like this on System V.4 UNIX. at -f /scriptname 16:00 I have added the users to /etc/cron.d/at.allow and at.deny is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DKuester
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to detect installations

Hi I'm wondering how I can find all the files which were installed on certain date? For example: I'm looking for alle the files which were installed on the 11.09.06 on the system. Does somebody know how to do this? Thanks Reto (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goldenglobe
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy command failure

A cp command failure occured on our production system. A shell script copies a source file to a temporary directory - cp <source file on mount point 1> <dest path on mount point 2> The same script ran successfully for another file, about 3mins after the failure. The script did not have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mynix
1 Replies

4. Solaris

make command failure

Hi After downloading and compiling new ntp source for Solaris 10 I used the make command on the ntp directory. I received the following output: bash-3.00# make (bk version) >/dev/null 2>&1 && \ cd . && \ x=`bk -R prs -hr+ -nd:I: ChangeSet` && \ y=`cat version... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaife720
2 Replies

5. AIX

how to detect removable disks or volume in AIX using command

Hi I am new to AIX and any help regarding the same would be really appriciated, thanks In advance. My priority issue is how to detect from command line that the volume / disk on AIX machine is a USB or removable disk /volume and if possible can we list out details for that disk / volume (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mak_mailbox
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to detect kind of command for root only?

Dear all, Please help me clarify why i cannot run command in /sbin directory (ex: /sbin/fdisk -l )! I've checked permission on files which belong /sbin directory with execute permission. However, i still cannot run with normal user. Sorry for my English. thanks all, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: all4cfa
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep command to detect presence of script run

i have this line of code on a korn shell script to detect the presence of script run: ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` sometimes this returns either 1, 2, or 3. when it returns 2 or 3 that tells us that there are more than 1 script of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tomcat failure detect via shell

Team, I am able to get ERROR message from my shell script, but sometime few severe error happen that tomcat server not started or not responding. How do we can detect it via shell script ? here is my snippet I used for my case tail -n0 -F $catalinaPath | while read line; do if echo... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghanshyam Ratho
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Htop - How to detect exact command running at background

Hello, I am running a python file from terminal and I wish to see which code is running at background. When I use htop, I see just a few commands, unable to see entire command. htop > report nano report Output: ^ Following parts of ffmpeg line is not shown by htop. Just showing... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
7 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Detect and run command upon mouse movement

I am trying to find a way to run a command upon any movement of a mouse. The 1st statement shows the mouse co-ordinates. So it can detect mouse movement. xinput test 9 First list input devices: $ xinput list If possible, I would like to use it in a bash script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
2 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)