Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Knowing the half will get you into trouble - describe your disasters Post 302188536 by benefactr on Wednesday 23rd of April 2008 05:55:52 PM
Old 04-23-2008
Knowing the half will get you into trouble - describe your disasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Miller
"Perhaps" ?

Ignorance is bliss.
Knowledge is power.

But just a handful of facts will get you in trouble faster than you can say 'help!'

About 10 years ago, fresh back from my first unix class, I did something that seemed innocent at the time. Fortunately, it was at about 4:40 on a Friday afternoon. I say fortunate, because about a minute later my phone started ringing, and I ended up spending most of the weekend in the office fixing my error.

Bottom line: Get professional help.
Curious, what did you do?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

describe unix commands in english

the following unix command ls | grep'?cw1' | wc -l converting it to english is it going to be like list the result of the search '?cw1' in number of lines is that correct ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: props
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Describe what this line of code would do

I am confused about what this line of code would do. I understand all the pieces but not the final outcome. Anyone that could help? find / -type f -xdev -mtime 0 -size 100000 -exec ls -lht {} /; 2>/dev/null (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NickNine
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I'm not sure how I would describe this

Some software, when you install it, prompts you for variables, such as the username for the software, or the password you are setting for the software's root account. I would like to know if it is possible to do such a thing, and if yes, how? basically, I would like my installer script to prompt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bakes
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DEscribe this command

Hi all. can you please tell me (root) NOPASSWD: ALL what this command means (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mindtee_abhi
1 Replies

5. Solaris

can someone describe

What is openboot prompt is this some kind of shell , and where is located :p (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
2 Replies

6. Solaris

How to manage solaris zone from disasters ???

Hi I have a requirement like we are creating a zone in which we are installing oracle and in the global zone we are installing our project related software.. Now my question is how to manage the solaris zone from any faults happen?? like it may be Memory,Network etc............ I want to know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

please describe me some simple command

Hi everyone I'm new here and I don't know some command of unix, please help by describe me how it work, I study unix command by myself and can't search exactly means so...Thanks :D sqlplus -s /nolog @${SQLFILE} ${file_type} >> ${OUTPUT_FILE} date "+%Y%m%d%H%M%S" $/usr/bin/echo "INFO : $1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zound617
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can someone describe the process of pre-emption in UNIX?

I never understood what exactly it is that preempts a process in a preemptive multitasking system. For example, round-robin, SRTF, or preemptive priority-based algorithms. I understand how the algorithm works, but what exactly triggers the preemption? I know in the case of round-robin... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
4 Replies
CHFN(1) 						      Linux Reference Manual							   CHFN(1)

NAME
chfn - change your finger information SYNOPSIS
chfn [ -f full-name ] [ -o office ] [ -p office-phone ] [ -h home-phone ] [ -u ] [ -v ] [ username ] DESCRIPTION
chfn is used to change your finger information. This information is stored in the /etc/passwd file, and is displayed by the finger pro- gram. The Linux finger command will display four pieces of information that can be changed by chfn : your real name, your work room and phone, and your home phone. COMMAND LINE Any of the four pieces of information can be specified on the command line. If no information is given on the command line, chfn enters interactive mode. INTERACTIVE MODE In interactive mode, chfn will prompt for each field. At a prompt, you can enter the new information, or just press return to leave the field unchanged. Enter the keyword "none" to make the field blank. OPTIONS
-f, --full-name Specify your real name. -o, --office Specify your office room number. -p, --office-phone Specify your office phone number. -h, --home-phone Specify your home phone number. -u, --help Print a usage message and exit. -v, --version Print version information and exit. SEE ALSO
finger(1), passwd(5) AUTHOR
Salvatore Valente <svalente@mit.edu> chfn October 13 1994 CHFN(1)