Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Put the output of grep in a variable Post 302188396 by Dave Miller on Wednesday 23rd of April 2008 10:55:43 AM
Old 04-23-2008
Hmmm...

I would have said:

myvariable=`grep mystring myfilename`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capturing the output of grep as integer variable

Hi, I have an expression using grep and nawk that captures the ID number of a given Unix process. It gets printed to screen but I don't know how to declare a variable to this returned value! For example, ps -ef|grep $project | grep -v grep | nawk '{print $2}' This returns my number. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babariba
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to store output in variable when put in background

Hi, How do I store following command output: export RESULT=`date` & It works when I do : export RESULT=`date` But what I need is when command put it background, I also need that output going to RESULT variable. Is there any way ? Thanks Sanjay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
1 Replies

3. AIX

Put one ligne from a file a variable

Hi everybody I looking the put the result of a commane to a Variable i explain here is my command: FJTS_UK:root:common@ukaix3:/> cat sortie | grep "^"| awk '{ print $1}' 15 FJTS_UK:root:common@ukaix3:/> sortie is a texte file I want to put the result of commande in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kykyboss
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect the grep output into the variable

i want to redirect the grep output into the variable but i am not able to get it i tried veri=`grep -i $1 "${logdir}"* | grep -i adding | grep -iv equation | tail -1 | cut -d ':' -f 1` vari=$(grep -i $1 "${logdir}"* | grep -i adding | grep -iv equation | tail -1 | cut -d ':' -f 1) BUT NOT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with assigning output of grep + awk to a variable

Hi All, I am getting the output for the following command when i run it on the unix console. --------------------------- grep `whoami` /etc/passwd | awk '{print ($1);}' | cut -d ":" -f3 ---------------------------- But i made it into a script and tried to print the variable, its... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meheretoknow
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put output into an array

I'm trying to take the output of an environment that has multiple strings ex. # echo $SSH_CLIENT 192.168.1.1 57039 22 I need that IP... so I can set it to another environment. Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put output of one command into a variable

Hi, Let say I have these 3 files (state, list and myscript). I want to be able get the sample output like below when I run myscript. Any one know how to fix the code? TIA. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > cat /home/state CA > cat /home/list CA 100 50 20 AUS 120 61 10 > cat myscript... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker_789us
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls | grep (i dont know what to put here)

Dear users, I googled for a while, but i have got a lot of different answers regarding a simple unix command. lets say there are a lot of files in a directory. How can i list the files in a directory whose file types is "text"? Thank you in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevincobain2000
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of a Grep(Which already has a variable) into a Variabale

Hi All, I have a an array, in which i need to loop through all the variable and check each variable individually for a pattern. For ex #!/bin/ksh set -A FileNames $(</Temp/AllNames) echo "Total array elements :" ${#FileNames } for i in ${FileNames} do # if the "${i} | grep Last"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baranisachin
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I must use first sentence from a file to put into variable

i am having some bash script which must use first sentence of the file. For example i have file which content is: test 213 So I must use word test into my bash script, and put it into variable. I am using a one variable named value value=$(</home/rusher/test.txt) so instead using test.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
1 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE bytes --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The SIZE argument is an integer and optional unit (example: 10K is 10*1024). Units are K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y (powers of 1024) or KB,MB,... (pow- ers of 1000). SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: '+' extend by, '-' reduce by, '<' at most, '>' at least, '/' round down to multiple of, '%' round up to multiple of. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/truncate> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) truncate invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TRUNCATE(1)