Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to set the name of the group and the owner while creation of the file? Post 302188342 by nehak on Wednesday 23rd of April 2008 07:54:08 AM
Old 04-23-2008
How to set the name of the group and the owner while creation of the file?

How to set the name of the group and the owner while creation of the file?

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root sys 1202 Dec 5 2002 abc.awk

like here i need to set the name of root and sys to xxx xxx

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

owner and group in Linux

I am bit unclear of how Linux was set in the real world, please advise me how it's supposed to be. When I log in as root and do a ls -l, I find: /boot, /, /var, /usr, /tmp, /home, /u01, /u02, /u03 and of of this partition is owned by root and the group also belong to root. Is that the way it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lapnguyen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't change owner and group of a linux file

Hi, I don't know how the owner & group of a login file in redhat linux 7.2 changed to bache like, -rwxr-xr-x 1 bache bache 17740 Jun 20 02:05 login I am trying to change the owner and group to root by using #chown root login #chgrp root login But i am getting the error ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File creation and auto-group assign

How do I make a file automatically get assigned a group that the user that created it is in? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhinge
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How UNIX admin set up this? how files of 744 of other owner can be removed by another owner?

Hi all, We have some files are under 744 permissions and the the owner is say owner1 and group1. Now we have another user owner2 of group2, owner2 can remove files of the owner1 and the permission of those files are 744, unix admin told us he did some config at his side so we can do that. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGunMan
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv warning set owner/group: Operation not permitted

Hi, Thanks for looking into this. I am running into below situation in free BSD. I have a file in /tmp/sample.txt with owner as 'xyz' and group as 'wheel' I am moving it to my home dir/newsample.txt whihc has owner 'xyz', but group 'someother' with below command, getting warning, but it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramanaraoeee
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a file where the owner and group is not root

Hi, I'm the root user on my computer, but I'm writing a script that does a lot of file handling. Every time I create a file or directory it automatically requires root privileges. Is there a way I can just create a file that the user can access without a password? For example in my script I... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
20 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the Group Owner Name

Hi all, How can i find the group owner name...??? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansahr143
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the group owner for a file

How would I find out who the group openers is of a file? For example: > ls -l myfile -rwxr-xr-x 1 myronp hawks 20125 Oct 20 20:50 myfile How do I return just hawks. I could do this with a series of cut or awk, but is there a more direct way. The ls -g is better, but still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dad4x
1 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

To identify the group owner

If I have to identify the group owner of an AIX group, what is the command to be used. Example: there is an mqadm group, how do I find the owner of this group? Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
6 Replies

10. AIX

Files without owner and group

Dears it is normal that the below binaries stay without any owner and group I have checked it in many servers and the like the below /usr/lpp/bos.net/inst_root/etc/ipsec# ls -lrt total 248 -r-xr-xr-x 1 987 987 13589 Jun 29 2005 default_group -r-xr-xr-x ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
5 Replies
Config::Model::AnyThing(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      Config::Model::AnyThing(3pm)

NAME
Config::Model::AnyThing - Base class for configuration tree item VERSION
version 2.021 SYNOPSIS
# internal class DESCRIPTION
This class must be inherited by all nodes or leaves of the configuration tree. AnyThing provides some methods and no constructor. Introspection methods element_name() Returns the element name that contain this object. index_value() For object stored in an array or hash element, returns the index (or key) containing this object. parent() Returns the node containing this object. May return undef if "parent()" is called on the root of the tree. container_type() Returns the type (e.g. "list" or "hash" or "leaf" or "node" or "warped_node") of the element containing this object. root() Returns the root node of the configuration tree. location() Returns the node location in the configuration tree. This location conforms with the syntax defined by "grab()" method. composite_name Return the element name with its index (if any). I.e. returns "foo:bar" or "foo". Annotation Annotation is a way to store miscellaneous information associated to each node. (Yeah... comments) These comments will be saved outside of the configuration file and restored the next time the command is run. annotation( [ note1, [ note2 , ... ] ] ) Without argument, return a string containing the object's annotation (or an empty string). With several arguments, join the arguments with " ", store the annotations and return the resulting string. load_pod_annotation ( pod_string ) Load annotations in configuration tree from a pod document. The pod must be in the form: =over =item path Annotation text =back Information management grab(...) Grab an object from the configuration tree. Parameters are: "step" A string indicating the steps to follow in the tree to find the required item. (mandatory) "mode" When set to "strict", "grab" will throw an exception if no object is found using the passed string. When set to "adaptative", the object found at last will be returned. For instance, for the step "good_step wrong_step", only the object held by "good_step" will be returned. When set to "loose", grab will return undef in case of problem. (default is "strict") "type" Either "node", "leaf", "hash" or "list". Returns only an object of requested type. Depending on "strict" value, "grab" will either throw an exception or return the last found object of requested type. (optional, default to "undef", which means any type of object) "autoadd" When set to 1, "hash" or "list" configuration element are created when requested by the passed steps. (default is 1). grab_non_available When set to 1, grab will return an object even if this one is not available. I.e. even if this element was warped out. (default is 0). The "step" parameters is made of the following items separated by spaces: - Go up one node ! Go to the root node. !Foo Go up the configuration tree until the "Foo" configuration class is found. Raise an exception if no "Foo" class is found when root node is reached. xxx Go down using "xxx" element. xxx:yy Go down using "xxx" element and id "yy" (valid for hash or list elements) ?xxx Go up the tree until a node containing element "xxx" is found. Then go down the tree like item "xxx". If "?xxx:yy", go up the tree the same way. But no check is done to see if id "yy" actually exists or not. Only the element "xxx" is considered when going up the tree. grab_value(...) Like "grab(...)", but will return the value of a leaf or check_list object, not just the leaf object. Will raise an exception if following the steps ends on anything but a leaf or a check_list. grab_annotation(...) Like "grab(...)", but will return the annotation of an object. grab_root() Returns the root of the configuration tree. grab_ancestor( Foo ) Go up the configuration tree until the "Foo" configuration class is found. Returns the found node or undef. model_searcher () Returns an object dedicated to search an element in the configuration model (respecting privilege level). This method returns a Config::Model::SearchElement object. See Config::Model::Searcher for details on how to handle a search. dump_as_data ( ) Dumps the configuration data of the node and its siblings into a perl data structure. Returns a hash ref containing the data. See Config::Model::DumpAsData for details. warp_error Returns a string describing any issue with Config::Model::Warper object. Returns '' if invoked on a tree object without warp specification. AUTHOR
Dominique Dumont, (ddumont at cpan dot org) SEE ALSO
Config::Model, Config::Model::Instance, Config::Model::Node, Config::Model::Loader, Config::Model::Dumper perl v5.14.2 2012-11-09 Config::Model::AnyThing(3pm)