Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris cannot telnet/ftp to solaris machine by straight cable makes problem .. Post 302188226 by mahadib on Wednesday 23rd of April 2008 02:54:11 AM
Old 04-23-2008
cannot telnet/ftp to solaris machine by straight cable makes problem ..

Hi All,

1. modify /etc/default/login file as

make commented # console=

2.put my laptops ip at both

/etc/inet/ipnodes and /etc/host file

still i can login via telnet/ftp through a DB9-serial cable, but when i tried
through a lan stratight cable directly connected that machine to my laptop;
cannot do. this is ultra A25 machine runned with solaris10.

please makes me ensure , where i am wrong. i am a newbie here.. I also got another suggestion as follows. is this okay?

-------------------------------------
By default , the solaris inetd deamon does not log the IP address of the machines that are connecting to Solaris Server . To enable the logging of all the IP addresses of machines connecting to the server and the connection time the following changes can be incorporated

1. cd /etc/init.d
2. vi inetsvc
3. Change the last line in the file, ie
/usr/sbin/inetd -s &
to /usr/sbin/inetd -s -t &

4. Stop and Start that script

./inetsvc stop
./inetsvc start

5. vi /etc/syslog.conf
6 . Add the following line
deamon.notice /var/adm/name_of_log_file ( the two fields should be seperated by tabs )

7. touch /var/adm/name_of_log_file
8. kill -HUP syslogd

After these changes are made all connections that are started through the inetd deamon ( Telnet , FTP ) etc will be logged to the new file created

This is also very useful for auditing purposes with NTP protocol enabled which gives us a consistent time throughout the enterprise, accountability can be implemented in the organisation.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Telnet Problem with Solaris (SunOS 5.7)

Hi, I have been facing a telnet problem with our SunOS 5.7 box. Initially we were facing porblems in login both from the console as well as through telnet. The machine was hard-booted after which login from console is possible, but telnet connection is not. The error that is displayed is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj_gopal
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Cable Modem on Irix Machine.

Ok I am new to this and wondering if there is any way of connecting a cable modem to an SGI that is running IRIX 6.5 and how to do it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Acidjack
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris 9 - Ftp problem

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with a Solaris 9, FTP problem. The problem is this. One of our scripts recently attempted to send files to a MS server, using FTP, and some error occurred. Because the script didn't trap for errors we didn't know about the problem until things started... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 9.0 (x86 on AMD Opteron) reboots after i FTP through Telnet

Hi All, I have installed Solaris 9 on on an AMD Opteron based server. The server is rebooting after i perform the following: - Logon to Solaris 9 AMD box through telnet or putty - ftp to any other box suppose box A where the FTP server is running - After logging in to the box A through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsvarma
1 Replies

5. Solaris

strange problem regarding zip/unzip from window to solaris machine

Hi , I faced a very strange problem when I unzip a zip file on my solaris workstation. Actually I wanted to transfer a folder, say it TEST which contains some sub-folders inside it from windows to solaris machine. So I zipped this folder to TEST.ZIP on my windows machine. Then from my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj Kumar Arora
11 Replies

6. Solaris

Unable to login using ssh,telnet onto my solaris machine with solaris 10 installed

Hi, I am unable to login into my terminal hosting Solaris 10 and get the below error message "Server refused to allocate pty ld.so.1: sh: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory " Is there anyways i can get into my machine and what kind of changes are required to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

7. Solaris

installation problem solaris,windows,suse on same machine

Hi all, Previously I had both opensuse 11.3 and Windows XP SP2 on my PC, there was no problem at all.I was able to access all documents in Windows from opensuse. Now when I wanted to install solaris 10 on the same machine there were 2 problems ... 1. Windows is not accessible from solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: M.Choudhury
3 Replies

8. Hardware

Serial connection CAT5 instead of RS232 and Null Modem or Straight cable.

Hello, I want to connect a VT520 terminal to p3 linux box. I have two questions regarding the connection. First, is it possible to use RJ45 instead of RS232 cable. (with DB9 pin to RJ45 and DB25 to RJ45 converter). Second point is that; do i need null modem cable or straight cable... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP While transfering files to local machine to remote machine

Hi Am using unix Ksh Am getting the problem while transferring zero size files through the script . When i transfer zero size files from local machine to remote machine manually i can able to do it . My question its beause of zero size files am not able to transfer through script ? or its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
2 Replies

10. Linux

Unable to connect to Server machine from a client machine using ftp service

Hi, Could you please help me with the below issue.. I'm running RHEL6 OS on both server (192.168.0.10) and client machines (192.168.0.1). I'm trying to connect to server from the client machine using ftp service. I have installed vsftpd daemon on both the machines. I'm getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
4 Replies
iptos(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  iptos(4)

NAME
iptos - Defines the IP Type Of Service (TOS) for FTP and Telnet SYNOPSIS
/etc/iptos DESCRIPTION
The /etc/iptos file configures the Type Of Service (TOS) of the Internet Protocol (IP) used by FTP and Telnet. The TOS field in the Internet datagram is to specify how the datagram should be handled. It is a mechanism to allow control information to have precedence over data. Generally, protocols that are involved in direct interaction with a human should select low delay, while data transfers that involve large blocks of data need high throughput. Finally, high reliability is most important for datagram-based Internet management functions. In the Tru64 UNIX operating system, the ftp and telnet applications and the ftpd and telnetd daemons allow the configuring of TOS values. These applications check to see if the /etc/iptos file exists; if the file exists, the applications obtain the TOS value from the file and use that value to set the TOS field. If the /etc/iptos file does not exist, the applications default to the following TOS values recom- mended by RFC1060: Low delay High throughput Low delay Users who want to configure their own TOS values for the TOS field should provide the /etc/iptos file. Note Most IP routers do not differentiate based on TOS, and therefore providing values other than the default would have no affect. You should not change the default values for FTP and Telnet. Each entry should consist of a single line of the form: Application Proto TOS-bits aliases The entry fields contain the following information: The name of an application TOS entry. The protocol name for which the entry is appro- priate. The TOS value to be set for the entry. A list of aliases that exist for the entry. Items on an entry line are separated by any number of blanks, tabs, or combination of blanks and tabs. A number sign (#) indicates that the rest of the line is a comment and is not interpreted by routines that search the file. Blank lines in the file are ignored. Valid TOS entry names are ftp-control and ftp-data for FTP and telnet for Telnet. The TOS value for the entry should be one of the following hexadecimal numbers, corresponding to TOS bits: Low delay High throughput High reliability If you need to disable the use of TOS bits, because you are having troubling communicating with a TCP/IP host that doe not conform entirely with the IP specification, you can disable the TOS bits by using the the following settings in the /etc/iptos file: # # Format of this file: # Application Proto TOS-bits aliases # ftp-control tcp 0x0 ftp-data tcp 0x0 telnet tcp 0x0 EXAMPLES
The following example shows typical entries in the /etc/iptos file: # # Format of this file: # Application Proto TOS-bits aliases # ftp-control tcp 0x10 ftp-data tcp 0x08 telnet tcp 0x10 RELATED INFORMATION
RFC1060, ftp(1), telnet(1), ftpd(8), telnetd(8) delim off iptos(4)