Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sending mail in the dead.letter file Post 302188215 by era on Wednesday 23rd of April 2008 02:30:55 AM
Old 04-23-2008
Yes, you can delete it if you don't want to keep it. It's basically just a mechanism for recovering lost messages in case there was a bug in the mail software or something. It will probably reappear if you use buggy mail software, but at least now you know what it's for.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dead.letter

HI, I am pretty new to Unix...but here is 1 serious problem...atleast for me..:-) now..the dead.letter file in /var/tmp has been growin continuously..n i dont know why..I ve even killed the sendmail process..but the dead.letter file keeps on increasin..Can anyone tell me where do I start... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unisam
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to attach a txt file while sending mail

Hi, I need to attach a txt file while sending mail thru Unix. Please help me out in this.. -Charan. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

spooled file getting distorted when sending through unix mail

Hi Folks, I'm spooling a file through sqlplus and sending using mailx but the output got distorted in MS-outlook. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chgopi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is dead.letter ??

Hi all can you please help me what is dead.letter file ? when it is created ? for the first time i have seen this file getting created in my current directory? I am using SunOs. Any IDEA ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reading a file and sending mail based on content of the file

Hi Gurus, I am having an requirement. i have to read a list file which contains file names and send mail to different users based on the files in the list file. eg. if file a.txt exists then send a mail to a@a.com simillary for b.txt,c.txt etc. Thanks for your help, Nimu (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimu1979
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

dead.letter issue

Hi, I have created a script that has some sql queries in it. It seem to work fine and e-mails me the output file but when i use this command 'col email format a20' it creates a dead.letter file and i never get the e-mail I am using mailx -s command to send out the e-mail. Any help would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shawnk
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending email message in colour and bold letter

The code echo -e "\033[34m Test \033[0m Mail" when i execute this command line i get proper output but when i mail the output of this command through sendmail it doesn't appear. Basically I want to send email message in diffrent colours, bold letter using shell script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baps
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx -s not sending the file to mail address

Hi All, OS:Red Hat Linux 4 86x64 Below is my shell script which is not sending mail to the mail recipient: #!/bin/bash export MAILLIST="xyz@yahoo.com" cd <path_to_the_script_perf_report.sql> sqlplus / as sysdba @perf_report.sql if then cat <path_to_the_script/*MONTHLY*REPORT*.lst... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
6 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Send mail from dead.letter

Hi, Can someone pls tell me how do i mail the contents of my dead.letter to my mail id. The problem is that the content is a multi-part message in MIME format. How do i get the original message mailed to me. i used uuencode, but that does not work, says "uuencode not found" Any help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file and sending mail by shell scripting?

hi I need help urgently...i need to write a shell script which can solve the following problem....its urgent plz help me out coz m totally newbie in shell scripting.... the problem is: Suppose I have a folder called logs. whenever some error occurs some correspondence error file is generated. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
4 Replies
BIFF(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   BIFF(1)

NAME
biff -- be notified if mail arrives and who it is from SYNOPSIS
biff [ny] DESCRIPTION
Biff informs the system whether you want to be notified when mail arrives during the current terminal session. Options supported by biff: n Disables notification. y Enables notification. When mail notification is enabled, the header and first few lines of the message will be printed on your screen whenever mail arrives. A ``biff y'' command is often included in the file .login or .profile to be executed at each login. Biff operates asynchronously via the comsat(8) service. If that service is not enabled, biff will not do anything. In that case, or for syn- chronous notification, use the MAIL variable of sh(1) or the mail variable of csh(1). SEE ALSO
csh(1), mail(1), sh(1), comsat(8) HISTORY
The biff command appeared in 4.0BSD. BUGS
su(1), and biff don't seem to get on too well. This is probably due to the tty still being owned by the person using su. This can result in ``Permission denied'' messages when attempting to change the biff status of your session. Please report bugs to netbug@ftp.uk.linux.org including diffs/patches, compiler error logs or as complete a bug report as is possible. Linux NetKit (0.17-pre-20000412) July 31, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17-pre-20000412)