Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Still trying to get a grep -c that works Post 302188105 by popeye on Tuesday 22nd of April 2008 04:04:27 PM
Old 04-22-2008
Sorry ...

This line is also included in sub ..

chomp(my @strings = <FILE2a>);

Hosed my cut and paste.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How the for loop works?

Hi, I have a landing area where some files keep on coming after irregular intervals of time. From this landing area, I need to move files to another directory for processing. For this, I am using a for loop to find certain kinds of files in the landing area. Now my question is, suppose I start... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelaksh
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How ls | wc -l works?

ls displays files in tabbed output. Say a directory contains 3 files. ls will list all 3 in one line. So, I expect ls | wc -l to give 1, but it counts the nr of files and gives 3. Can someone explain how this works? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
3 Replies

3. Programming

how this works?

pls explain me how this works.... DECODE (SUBSTR (field, 1, 1),'''', '''''' || field || '''','''' || field || '''') here field is a column in an oracle table.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

>./a.pl works, >a.pl - does not

When I try to execute script, I get message: >aa.pl zsh: command not found: aa.pl but >./aa.pl works OK. What to change in environment to force the former way to work? Thank you, Alex Z (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzol
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how it works ? sftp

Hi, I am curious about this script , how it is running ..? #!/bin/sh echo "OK, starting now..." ftp remotehost <<EOF When I run , it is asking OK, starting now... Password:Name (remotehost): SHould I enter only password ? and explain me how it works.. thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How this works?

I have a program............ #include<stdio.h> #include<unistd.h> main() { if(fork == 0) { printf("Hi every body:p!!!!!!!!!!"); } } This program works with out any error. here fork is not a system call. It just act as a variable.But how it works without declaring it? What data type it... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: carolsanjeevi
19 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need a visual grep tool that works on windows via sftp

Hi, Could you please suggest a tool that connects like WINSCP/Putty and allows me to search a remote Unix directory for a certain text pattern (grep) ? Regards, Bhanja. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhanja_trinanja
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep works on Linux but fails on Solaris

Hi, On linux i have the below command working fine. grep -o '<name>.*</name>' deploy.tmp | sed 's/\(<name>\|<\/name>\)//g' deploy.tmp But the same is failing on Solaris uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-23 sun4v sparc sun4v Can you tell me how can i get it work on Solaris ?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep -q not works with multiples grep in same line

Hi, I'm trying to make a grep to see if exists occurrences with a sentence like these: grep -qi "message" file0 | grep -i $date | grep -vi "exception" echo $? 1 If I execute without -q modifier I can find occurrences. Someone could help me please? Thanks and sorry for my English! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mierdatuti
1 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)