Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Horribly old stuff: SMS disks for IBM PC 850? Post 302188002 by dlundh on Tuesday 22nd of April 2008 12:34:29 PM
Old 04-22-2008
Horribly old stuff: SMS disks for IBM PC 850?

Hi.

I'm trying to reinstall AIX 4.3.3 (ML9) on an IBM PC 850 PowerPC machine but I have trouble getting an SMS diskette that will let me set the CD as bootable.

The SMS diskette I have is 1.26 and it either crashes or lists Hard Disk 0 some 20 + times (and nothing else) on the screen you choose the boot drive from.

Is there a newer (or older?), less buggy, version of SMS for PC 850? There is, to the best of my knowledge no problem with the hardware in the machine. I can use both CD-ROM and diskette from AIX on the machine right now.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

new IBM pseries and new disks

Hello Gurus, i'm quite new person in AIX world, actually i'm SAP consultant. But due to my job faced with AIX. Trying to configure new server for installation SAP. We have 4 disks one of them (hdisk3) has VG rootvg. How i can extend rootvg with another disk? i tried: # extendvg rootvg hdisk0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapbcer
2 Replies

2. High Performance Computing

IBM Scheduler for High Throughput Computing on IBM Blue Gene P

A lightweight scheduler that supports high-throughput computing (HTC) applications on Blue Gene/P. (NEW: 06/12/2008 in grid) More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Sol10 on primepower 850

I've got a console that seems to be hung. all other services (ip, etc) work perfectly. in fact, its still in production... we just don't have console access. so i there are two consoles on this guy.. scfc0 and scfc1. using iompadm from fujitsu, this is what i got: # ./iompadm -c FJSVscf3 info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pupp
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

IBM RAID disks

We have a Red Hat linux server running on IBM x445 hardware. There are external disks in an IBM EXP300 disk enclosure. The system is running RAID 5. One of the four IBM disks (73.4 GB 10k FRU 06P5760) has become faulty. The system is still up and running OK because of the RAID. In that same EXP300... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdudley
3 Replies

5. AIX

Wanted: Thinkpad 800 systems (820, 850, 860, etc) (ppc 603e)

Hello everyone, I'm working on a for-fun project where I'm assembling a mass of various old computers, including a number of earlier UNIX workstations. They will be on display at a number of east coast conferences (HOPE, Shmoocon, etc). I'm trying to find a Thinkpad 860, 850, 820 or one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: telmnstr
1 Replies

6. AIX

IBM Virtual Machine OS on intel x86 and x64? IBM AIX OS on IBM Virtual Machine?

Hi There, I have zero information and zero knowledge for IBM virtual machine except Amazon cloud and VMware ESXi (Only Linux OS available). Anyone could provide me the following answer - Can IBM VM been deploy on X86 and X64 (Intel Chip)? If answer is yes any chance to deploy AIX OS... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenyung
13 Replies
FDFORMAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       FDFORMAT(1)

NAME
fdformat -- format a floppy diskette SYNOPSIS
fdformat [-f device] [-t type] [-n] [-B nbps] [-S nspt] [-T ntrk] [-C ncyl] [-P stepspercyl] [-G gaplen] [-F fillbyte] [-X xfer_rate] [-I interleave] DESCRIPTION
The fdformat utility formats a floppy diskette. With no arguments, it formats the default floppy device with the default density parameters (as provided by the floppy diskette device driver). As the each track of the floppy diskette is formatted, it is read to verify the format was successful. The fdformat utility does not create a filesystem of any kind. Use tools like newfs(8), newfs_msdos(8), or mformat(1) (part of the pkgsrc/sysutils/mtools package) depending on what filesystem type you want to use on the floppy disk to do so. Available command-line flags are: -f device Format the floppy using device instead of the default /dev/rfd0a. -t type Format the floppy using parameters for the diskette named type in /etc/floppytab instead of the device default parameters. -n Do not verify each track as it is read. -B nbps Set the number of bytes per sector for the formatted diskette. -S nspt Set the number of sectors per track for the formatted diskette. -T ntrk Set the number of tracks (heads) per cylinder for the formatted diskette. -C ncyl Set the number of cylinders for the formatted diskette. -P stepspercyl Set the number of motor steps per cylinder for the formatted diskette. -G gaplen Set the sector gap length for the formatted diskette. -F fillbyte Set the fill byte for the formatted diskette. -X xfer_rate Set the bit transfer rate for the formatted diskette. -I interleave Set the interleave factor for the formatted diskette. SEE ALSO
fdc(4) (amiga, i386 and sparc ports) HISTORY
The fdformat utility appeared in NetBSD 1.3. BUGS
Some floppy drive units have physical diskette format sensors which automatically select a diskette density for reading. Such drives can format at alternate densities, but they cannot successfully verify the formatted diskette except at the diskette's normal density. BSD
July 22, 2006 BSD