Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How not to let field overflow ? Post 302187904 by davenorm on Tuesday 22nd of April 2008 08:09:00 AM
Old 04-22-2008
how about a different approach...

simple answer is no!

you could write a script that
1)asks the user to input values for each parameter one by one
2)then recreates the aforementioned file with the user input values - that way they don't even have to open the file in the first place - which is a better way of ensuring that noone trashes the file

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printer buffer overflow

I have an Oki-Page 14ex with 4MB of RAM. Whenever I print large documents or a several small documents, I get a buffer overflow. Can anyone help? Thanks. If there is any additional information you need, please feel free to ask. Tim (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AltatemTC
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line overflow??

Hi everybody, I have a problem. I'm trying to ftp a file to a remote system. my shell that wrote is look for a data in a area and when it there its starting the ftp.:) At this point it works. Then it does cd $quelle ftp -n test <<EUF user anonymous test image put W* EUF and so... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peterh
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH arithmatic Integer overflow

Guys, I have two big numbers to multiply. In doing do I am getting integer overflow. I managed to multiply number but this number is useless as KSh does not recognise it as a valid number. Here is what I am doing $ expr 999999999999 \* 100 276447132 I got the right value by doing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_sri
2 Replies

4. Programming

warning: integer overflow in expression

I have the following expression: #define GB (1024 * 1024 * 1024) #define TB (1024 * GB) #define MAX_SIZE (3 * TB) off_t current_size; And then the expression... if (current_size > MAX_SIZE) { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tantric
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Problem with stack overflow

Hi, I get a problem with stack overflow on HP-UX, when running a C program. Pid 28737 received a SIGSEGV for stack growth failure. Possible causes: insufficient memory or swap space, or stack size exceeded maxssiz. The possible cause i found, was that the definition of a structure had... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikb23
0 Replies

6. Programming

c++ overflow problem

I have come accross a rather strange problem with two buffers that seem to be overriding each other. bool killSession(const Session &session){ //Get user FILE* fp = fopen("conf/sessions.current", "rt"); char line; char user; int x = 0; int leaseTime; printf("key: %s \n" ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mshindo
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perform stack overflow

Help! I have an AIX system that has a power outage. When I logged in as root and got the system up and running it all looked ok. But.....when a user tries to log in they receive the error: The perform stack has overflowed OP=2117 PC=2124 E=46 in emmcshflif icrun is finished How can I fix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dlegnar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

neighbor table overflow

hi folks, Do you have any idea why this error occurs ? My server is hp blade in c7000 frames running RHEL 4 update 4. # uname -a Linux xxx 3 2.6.9-55.0.12.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Oct 17 08:15:59 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Applications running are jboss or java applications: #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
4 Replies
clfsplit(1)							     logtools							       clfsplit(1)

NAME
clfsplit - split Common-Log Format web logs based on IP address SYNOPSIS
clfsplit [--help] [-i input] -d defaultfile -f file -s spec [-f file -s spec] DESCRIPTION
The clfsplit will split up large CLF format web logs based on IP address. This is for creating separate log analysis passes for internal and external users of web pages. OVERVIEW
The defaultfile parameter specifies where data goes if it doesn't match any of the IP ranges. This could be /dev/null depending on your aims. The -i input parameter gives the file to take input from (default standard input). The -f file parameter must be given before the list of IP addresses. The spec parameter is the IP addresses that go to the file in question. It is of the form start[-end][:start[-end]] where start and end specify the start and ends of ranges of IPs. Also the CIDR notation can be used or a single IP address. If there is a large number of IP ranges then a file name can be given which contains a set of IP ranges, one range per line. EXIT STATUS
0 No errors 1 Bad parameters 2 Can't open input 3 Can't open/write to output file 4 Can't open and read from spec file AUTHOR
This program, its manual page, and the Debian package were written by Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>. SEE ALSO
clfmerge(1),clfdomainsplit(1) Russell Coker <;russell@coker.com.au> 0.06 clfsplit(1)