Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sum(col) finding from a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sum(col) finding from a file Post 302187890 by ksmbabu on Tuesday 22nd of April 2008 07:32:49 AM
Old 04-22-2008
Hi

I have an file it looks like

USSR|8650|262|Asia
Canada|3852|24|North America
China|3692|866|Asia
USA|3615|219|North America
Brazil|3286|116|South America
India|1269|637|Asia
Argentina|1072|26|South America
Sudan|968|19|Africa
Algeria|920|18|Africa

I have written a shell program which is not working. Pl help me where i am going wrong

FILE=/path/a.sh
area=0
total=0

for area in `grep a.sh | awk -F'|' '{print $2}'`
do
total=$(($total+$area))
done
echo $total

I tried with matrixmadhan and aigles, But it is not working.

Thanks
Babu

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Match col 1 of File 1 with col 1 File 2 and create a 3rd file

Hello, I have a 1.6 GB file that I would like to modify by matching some ids in col1 with the ids in col 1 of file2.txt and save the results into a 3rd file. For example: File 1 has 1411 rows, I ignore how many columns it has (thousands) File 2 has 311 rows, 1 column Would like to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sogi
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare - 1st col of file

Hi, I have two different files, one has two columns and other has only one column. I would like to compare the first column in the first file with the data in the second file and write a third file with the data that is not present is not common to them. First file:... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: swame_sp
26 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the sum of two numbers

cat *.out |grep "<some text>" | awk '{print $6}' For ex,This will reutrn me 11111 22222 is it possible to add these two numbers in the above given command itself?I can write this to a file and find the sum. But I prefer to this calculation in the above given line itself. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Sum of Occurrances

Hello friends, I have a database export and with this export i need to find some statistics which is required. I take the export of a table with only 3 columns like this: 2nd 3rd 12th 123 05.11.2010 09:27 0 124 05.11.2010 09:28 0 125 05.11.2010 09:34 1 126 05.11.2010 09:39 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add new col in a file

Hi, Experts, I have a requirement as following: my source file: a a a b b c c c c I need add one more colume as following: 1 a 2 a 3 a 1 b 2 b 1 c 2 c (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Print line based on highest value of col (B) and repetion of values in col (A)

Hello everyone, I am writing a script to process data from the ATP world tour. I have a file which contains: t=540 y=2011 r=1 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=2 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=3 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=4 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=1 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=2 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=3 p=N409 The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imahmoud
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing from col x to end of line, except last col

Hello, I have some tab delimited data and I need to move the last col. I could hard code it, awk '{ print $1,$NF,$2,$3,$4,etc }' infile > outfile but it would be nice to know the syntax to print a range cols. I know in cut you can do, cut -f 1,4-8,11- to print fields 1,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a program-print parameters to output file-replace op file contents with max 4th col

Hi Friends, This is the only solution to my task. So, any help is highly appreciated. I have a file cat input1.bed chr1 100 200 abc chr1 120 300 def chr1 145 226 ghi chr2 567 600 unix Now, I have another file by name input2.bed (This file is a binary file not readable by the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying col values based on another col

Hi, Please help with this. I have several excel files (with and .xlsx format) with 10-15 columns each. They all have the same type of data but the columns are not ordered in the same way. Here is a 3 column example. What I want to do add the alphabet from column 2 to column 3, provided... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in finding sum for values in 2 different fields

Hi there, I have 2 files in following format cat file_1 Storage Group Name: aaaa HBA UID SP Name SPPort ------- ------- ------ 0 21 Storage Group Name: bbbb HBA UID... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
2 Replies
GEOIP_TIME_ZONE_BY_COUNTRY_AND_REGION(3)				 1				  GEOIP_TIME_ZONE_BY_COUNTRY_AND_REGION(3)

geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region - Returns the time zone for some country and region code combo

SYNOPSIS
string geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region (string $country_code, [string $region_code]) DESCRIPTION
The geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region(3) function will return the time zone corresponding to a country and region code combo. In the United States, the region code corresponds to the two-letter abbreviation of each state. In Canada, the region code corresponds to the two-letter province or territory code as attributed by Canada Post. For the rest of the world, GeoIP uses FIPS 10-4 codes to represent regions. You can check http://www.maxmind.com/app/fips10_4 for a detailed list of FIPS 10-4 codes. This function is always available if using GeoIP Library version 1.4.1 or newer. The data is taken directly from the GeoIP Library and not from any database. PARAMETERS
o $country_code - The two-letter country code (see geoip_country_code_by_name(3)) o $region_code - The two-letter (or digit) region code (see geoip_region_by_name(3)) RETURN VALUES
Returns the time zone on success, or FALSE if the country and region code combo cannot be found. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region(3) example using region code for US/Canada This will print the time zone for country CA (Canada), region QC (Quebec). <?php $timezone = geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region('CA', 'QC'); if ($timezone) { echo 'Time zone for CA/QC is: ' . $timezone; } ?> The above example will output: Time zone for CA/QC is: America/Montreal Example #2 A geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region(3) example using FIPS codes This will print the time zone for country JP (Japan), region 01 (Aichi). <?php $timezone = geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region('JP', '01'); if ($timezone) { echo 'Time zone for JP/01 is: ' . $timezone; } ?> The above example will output: Time zone for JP/01 is: Asia/Tokyo PHP Documentation Group GEOIP_TIME_ZONE_BY_COUNTRY_AND_REGION(3)