Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sum(col) finding from a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sum(col) finding from a file Post 302187890 by ksmbabu on Tuesday 22nd of April 2008 07:32:49 AM
Old 04-22-2008
Hi

I have an file it looks like

USSR|8650|262|Asia
Canada|3852|24|North America
China|3692|866|Asia
USA|3615|219|North America
Brazil|3286|116|South America
India|1269|637|Asia
Argentina|1072|26|South America
Sudan|968|19|Africa
Algeria|920|18|Africa

I have written a shell program which is not working. Pl help me where i am going wrong

FILE=/path/a.sh
area=0
total=0

for area in `grep a.sh | awk -F'|' '{print $2}'`
do
total=$(($total+$area))
done
echo $total

I tried with matrixmadhan and aigles, But it is not working.

Thanks
Babu

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Match col 1 of File 1 with col 1 File 2 and create a 3rd file

Hello, I have a 1.6 GB file that I would like to modify by matching some ids in col1 with the ids in col 1 of file2.txt and save the results into a 3rd file. For example: File 1 has 1411 rows, I ignore how many columns it has (thousands) File 2 has 311 rows, 1 column Would like to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sogi
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare - 1st col of file

Hi, I have two different files, one has two columns and other has only one column. I would like to compare the first column in the first file with the data in the second file and write a third file with the data that is not present is not common to them. First file:... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: swame_sp
26 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the sum of two numbers

cat *.out |grep "<some text>" | awk '{print $6}' For ex,This will reutrn me 11111 22222 is it possible to add these two numbers in the above given command itself?I can write this to a file and find the sum. But I prefer to this calculation in the above given line itself. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Sum of Occurrances

Hello friends, I have a database export and with this export i need to find some statistics which is required. I take the export of a table with only 3 columns like this: 2nd 3rd 12th 123 05.11.2010 09:27 0 124 05.11.2010 09:28 0 125 05.11.2010 09:34 1 126 05.11.2010 09:39 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add new col in a file

Hi, Experts, I have a requirement as following: my source file: a a a b b c c c c I need add one more colume as following: 1 a 2 a 3 a 1 b 2 b 1 c 2 c (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Print line based on highest value of col (B) and repetion of values in col (A)

Hello everyone, I am writing a script to process data from the ATP world tour. I have a file which contains: t=540 y=2011 r=1 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=2 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=3 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=4 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=1 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=2 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=3 p=N409 The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imahmoud
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing from col x to end of line, except last col

Hello, I have some tab delimited data and I need to move the last col. I could hard code it, awk '{ print $1,$NF,$2,$3,$4,etc }' infile > outfile but it would be nice to know the syntax to print a range cols. I know in cut you can do, cut -f 1,4-8,11- to print fields 1,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a program-print parameters to output file-replace op file contents with max 4th col

Hi Friends, This is the only solution to my task. So, any help is highly appreciated. I have a file cat input1.bed chr1 100 200 abc chr1 120 300 def chr1 145 226 ghi chr2 567 600 unix Now, I have another file by name input2.bed (This file is a binary file not readable by the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying col values based on another col

Hi, Please help with this. I have several excel files (with and .xlsx format) with 10-15 columns each. They all have the same type of data but the columns are not ordered in the same way. Here is a 3 column example. What I want to do add the alphabet from column 2 to column 3, provided... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in finding sum for values in 2 different fields

Hi there, I have 2 files in following format cat file_1 Storage Group Name: aaaa HBA UID SP Name SPPort ------- ------- ------ 0 21 Storage Group Name: bbbb HBA UID... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
2 Replies
IP::Authority(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  IP::Authority(3)

NAME
IP::Authority - fast lookup of authority by IP address SYNOPSIS
use IP::Authority; my $reg = IP::Authority->new(); print $reg->inet_atoauth('212.67.197.128') ." "; print $reg->inet_atoauth('www.slashdot.org') ." "; DESCRIPTION
Historically, the former InterNIC managed (under the auspices of IANA) the allocation of IP numbers to ISPs and other organizations. This changed somewhat when the Regional Internet Registry system was started, with the creation of three (and later, four) Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) around the world, each managing the allocation of IP addresses to organizations within differing physical areas (see also RFC2050). This means that there is no central whois database for IP numbers. This module allows the user to lookup the RIR who has authority for a particular IP address. After finding out the authority for an IP address, it is possible to use the authority's whois server to lookup the netblock owner. CONSTRUCTOR
The constructor takes no arguments. use IP::Authority; my $reg = IP::Authority->new(); OBJECT METHODS
All object methods are designed to be used in an object-oriented fashion. $result = $object->foo_method($bar,$baz); Using the module in a procedural fashion (without the arrow syntax) won't work. $auth = $reg->inet_atoauth(HOSTNAME) Takes a string giving the name of a host, and translates that to an two-letter string representing the regional Internet registry that has authority of that IP address: AR = ARIN (North America) RI = RIPE (Europe) LA = LACNIC (Latin America) AP = APNIC (Asia-Pacific) AF = AFRINIC (Africa and Indian Ocean) IA = IANA (see RFC3330) Takes arguments of both the 'rtfm.mit.edu' type and '18.181.0.24'. If the host name cannot be resolved, returns undef. If the resolved IP address is not contained within the database, returns undef. For multi-homed hosts (hosts with more than one address), the first address found is returned. $auth = $reg->inet_ntoauth(IP_ADDRESS) Takes a string (an opaque string as returned by Socket::inet_aton()) and translates it into a two-letter string representing the regional Internet registry that has authority of that IP address: AR = ARIN (North America) RI = RIPE (Europe) LA = LACNIC (Latin America) AP = APNIC (Asia-Pacific) AF = AFRINIC (Africa and Indian Ocean) IA = IANA (see RFC3330) If the IP address is not contained within the database, returns undef. $t = $reg->db_time() Returns the creation date of the database, measured as number of seconds since the Unix epoch (00:00:00 GMT, January 1, 1970). Suitable for feeding to "gmtime" and "localtime". BUGS
/LIMITATIONS Only works with IPv4 addresses and ASCII hostnames. SEE ALSO
IP::Country - fast lookup of country codes from IP address. <http://www.apnic.net> - Asia-Pacific <http://www.ripe.net> - Europe <http://www.arin.net> - North America <http://www.lacnic.net> - Latin America <http://www.afrinic.net> - Africa and Indian Ocean COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Nigel Wetters Gourlay. All Rights Reserved. NO WARRANTY. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Some parts of this software distribution are derived from the APNIC, LACNIC, ARIN, AFRINIC and RIPE databases (copyright details below). I am not a lawyer, so please direct questions about the RIR's licenses to them, not me. APNIC conditions of use The files are freely available for download and use on the condition that APNIC will not be held responsible for any loss or damage arising from the application of the information contained in these reports. APNIC endeavours to the best of its ability to ensure the accuracy of these reports; however, APNIC makes no guarantee in this regard. In particular, it should be noted that these reports seek to indicate the country where resources were first allocated or assigned. It is not intended that these reports be considered as an authoritative statement of the location in which any specific resource may currently be in use. ARIN database copyright Copyright (c) American Registry for Internet Numbers. All rights reserved. The ARIN WHOIS data is for Internet operational or technical research purposes pertaining to Internet operations only. It may not be used for advertising, direct marketing, marketing research, or similar purposes. Use of the ARIN WHOIS data for these activities is explicitly forbidden. ARIN requests to be notified of any such activities or suspicions thereof. RIPE database copyright The information in the RIPE Database is available to the public for agreed Internet operation purposes, but is under copyright. The copyright statement is: "Except for agreed Internet operational purposes, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, recording, or otherwise, without prior permission of the RIPE NCC on behalf of the copyright holders. Any use of this material to target advertising or similar activities is explicitly forbidden and may be prosecuted. The RIPE NCC requests to be notified of any such activities or suspicions thereof." LACNIC database copyright Copyright (c) Latin American and Caribbean IP address Regional Registry. All rights reserved. AFRINIC copyright Seems to be the RIPE copyright. I'm sure they'll correct this in due course. perl v5.18.2 2013-05-15 IP::Authority(3)