Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to listout the files based on group by the date...? Post 302187501 by psiva_arul on Monday 21st of April 2008 09:03:02 AM
Old 04-21-2008
list out the file group by date wise

Hi Krishnamath,

Thanks for your response, your command has retruning correct values but it retruend wrong output for some dates which is in single value date(Dec 5)

i have checked with some ordinary command

ls -rtl | grep "Dec 5" -- it won;t work why because we need to give 5 blank space in between month and date if the value of the date is single digit
instead of that we can use ls -rtl | grep "Dec 5" (its working)

how can we avoid the problem.

we should have to use the double blank spaces if the date of value is single digit.

Thanks and Regards,
Siva.P
Bangalore

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove files based on date

I am trying to write a shell script that will remove files in a directory based on the date. For instance, remove all files older than yesterday. Any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count of files based on date?

Hi Friends, Can anyone help me with this: To get the count of files that are existing in a directory created on a perticular date like in the example (01/08) .(having same pattern for the filename) ex: FileName Creted Date FILE001 01/08/2007 FILE005 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the newest files based on date

Hello friends, I'm learning to script, and I need help. How can I get the latest/newest files based on date? the format is as following: Feb 07 19:25 TESTPWD_file_1vk6pn40_19519_1 Feb 07 19:46 TESTPWD_file_1uk6pn40_19518_2 Feb 07 19:47 TESTPWD_file_20k6pn40_19520_2 Feb 07 19:56... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files based on date

Hi all i am having so many files in my directory.Is there any option to copy files based on date. example i am having file this -rw-rw-r-- 1 ram user 1 Feb 2 17:12 abc -rw-rw-r-- 1 ram user 1 Feb 2 17:12 bnw -rwxrwxr-x 1 ram user 21122 Feb 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the files based on the date's

I have to write one script which will delete the files in the below passion. If today is 17-Feb-2010 then the script delete only 17-JAN-2010 files from the directory. Could you please help me, How will I delete the files when the year is leap year, if today is 30th Mar 2010 then how will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kandi.reddy
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove files based on date

Hello team, I have a number of files in a folder which are dated yesterday and today.Can i remove all the files which i created today based on date?? is there any syntax for this ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanakaraju
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the files based on date..

Hi to every one , i had ascenario like this.. i had path like export/home/pmutv/test/ in this i will recive 43 files daily with each file having that days date i.e like product.sh.20110512 like this i will 43 files every day i had to find the files. if files are avaliable i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apple2685
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading 2 CSV files and filtering data based on group

I have two CSV files in the following format: First file: GroupID, PID:TID, IP, Port Sample data: 0,1000:11,127.0.0.1,445 0,-1:-1,127.0.0.1,800 1,1000:11,127.0.0.1,445 1,-1:-1,127.0.0.1,900 2,1000:11,127.0.0.1,445 2,-1:-1,180.0.0.3,900 Second file: IP,Port,PID Sample data... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_arxmind
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines based on a condition for a group of files

hi i have a set of similar files. i want to delete lines until certain pattern appears in those files. for a single file the following command can be used but i want to do it for all the files at a time since the number is in thousands. awk '/PATTERN/{i++}i' file (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find the count of files by last created date based on the given date range

My unix version is IBM AIX Version 6.1 I tried google my requirement and found the below answer, find . -newermt “2012-06-15 08:13" ! -newermt “2012-06-15 18:20" But newer command is not working in AIX version 6.1 unix I have given my requirement below: Input: atr files: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yuvaa27
1 Replies
date(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   date(1)

Name
       date - print date and time

Syntax
       date [-c | -u] [ +format ] [[yy[mm[dd]]]hhmm[.ss][-[-]tttt][z]]

Description
       If no argument is given, or if the argument begins with +, the current date and time are printed.  Otherwise, the current date is set.  The
       first mm is the month number; dd is the day number in the month; hh is the hour number (24 hour clock); the second mm is the minute number;
       .ss  the second; -[-]tttt is the minutes west of Greenwich; a positive number means your time zone is west of Greenwich (for example, North
       and South America) and a negative number means it is east of Greenwich (for example Europe); z is a one letter code indicating the dst cor-
       rection mode (n=none, u=usa, a=australian, w=western europe, m=middle europe, e=eastern europe); yy is the last 2 digits of the year number
       and is optional.  The following example sets the date to Oct 8, 12:45 AM:
       date 10080045
       The current year is the default if no year is mentioned.  The system operates in GMT.  The takes care of the conversion to and  from  local
       standard and daylight time.

If  the	argument begins with +, the output of is under the control of the user.  The format for the output is similar to that of the first
       argument to All output fields are of fixed size (zero padded if necessary).  Each field descriptor is preceded by % and is replaced in  the
       output by its corresponding value.  A single % is encoded by %%.  All other characters are copied to the output without change.	The string
       is always terminated with a new-line character.

Options
       -c     Perform operations using Coordinated Universal Time (UCT) instead of the default local time. The UCT does not use  leap  seconds	so
	      UCT is the same as GMT.

-u     Perform operations using Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) instead of the default local time.

+ format
	      The following is a list of field Descriptors that can be used in the format (Note: date exits after processing format information) :

%a   Locale's abbreviated weekday name

%A   Locale's full weekday name

%b   Locale's abbreviated month name

%B   Locale's full month name

%c   Locale's date and time representation

%d   Day of month as a decimal number (01-31)

%D   Date (%m/%d/%y)

%h   Locale's abbreviated month name

%H   Hour as a decimal number (00-23)

%I   Hour as a decimal number (01-12)

%j   Day of year (001-366)

%m   Number of month (01-12)

%M   Minute number (00-59)

%n   Newline character

%p   Locale's equivalent to AM or PM

%r   Time in AM/PM notation

%S   Second number (00-59)

%t   Tab character

%T   Time (%H/%M/%S)

%U   Week number (00-53), Sunday as first day of week

%w   Weekday number (0[Sunday]-6)

%W   Week number (00-53), Monday as first day of week

%x   Locale's date representation

%X   Locale's time representation

%y   Year without century (00-99)

%Y   Year with century

%Z   Timezone name, no characters if no timezone

%%   %

Examples
       The following command line
       date +%m/%d/%y
       generates the following output
       04/02/89
       The following command line
       date +"DATE: %m/%d/%y%nTIME: %H:%M:%S"
       generates the following output
       DATE: 04/02/89
       TIME: 14:45:05
       The quotes (") are necessary because the format contains blank characters. Use single quotes (') to prevent interpretation by the shell.

Diagnostics
       Failed to set date: Not owner
	    You are not the super-user and you tryed to change the date.  Do not change the date while the system is running in multiuser mode.

Restrictions
       An attempt to set a date to before 1/1/1970 will result in the date being set to 1/1/1970.

Files
       /dev/kmem

date(1)