Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting print all even lines of a txt file Post 302186696 by ajp7701 on Thursday 17th of April 2008 11:15:06 PM
Old 04-18-2008
print all even lines of a txt file

In other news, I have a colors text file with hundreds of lines, and I want to print only the even numbered lines. for example I have this file looks something like this:
ALLCOLORS.TXT
red red green red
blue red red red
green red red blue
green green green
blue blue blue
red blue blue blue

and I want a command that outputs something like this:
ALLEVEN.TXT
blue red red red
green green green
red blue blue blue

Another way of asking this is how do I delete all of the ODD numbered lines out of a file?? Thanks again!!! I love this place!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I filter double lines from a txt file

Hi, I have a file with the following: access-list.txt router1 access-list 1 permit any any access-list 1 deny any any router2 access-list 2 permit any any access-list 2 deny any any router3 access-list 3 permit any any access-list 3 deny any any I want to hava an output that... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Urgent]how to print the file names into a txt file???

HI, I have a folder with some 120 files...i just want to print all the file filenames(not the content or anything else) onto a file say .txt. please help me with this command Thanks a lot. (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script to print a value from txt file

Hello guys, I would appreciate if someone can help me to write a shell script using sed. From a larget text file I need to print a fixed value of a word. In another words whenever it finds that word, it needs to grab the other line containing "dn" and prints its value. For example: dn:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving lines within a txt file

A newbie to shell scripting..... I need some assistance in doing the following: I have a system generated text file(a makefile basically). Before I can execute the make command, I need to modify one section of this generated file. The generated section is as follows: # INCLUDE macro... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: innocentspirit
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to cp lines x->y from 1.txt into lines a->b in file2.txt

I have one base file, and multiple target files-- each have uniform line structure so no need to use grep to find things-- can just define sections by line number. My question is quite simple-- can I use sed to copy a defined block of lines (say lines 5-10) from filename1.txt to overwrite an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: czar21
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging two .txt files by alternating x lines from file 1 and y lines from file2

Hi everyone, I have two files (A and B) and want to combine them to one by always taking 10 rows from file A and subsequently 6 lines from file B. This process shall be repeated 40 times (file A = 400 lines; file B = 240 lines). Does anybody have an idea how to do that using perl, awk or sed?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ink_LE
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find lines in file1.txt not found in file2.txt memory problem

I have a diff command that does what I want but when comparing large text/log files, it uses up all the memory I have (sometimes over 8gig of memory) diff file1.txt file2.txt | grep '^<'| awk '{$1="";print $0}' | sed 's/^ *//' Is there a better more efficient way to find the lines in one file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print value from txt file to csv

Hi, I want to print two columns from a .txt file to a .csv file using awk. data in text file: Application -------------------------------------------------- ----------- OS Related Issues 1 EMEA Solutions ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashu_g
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting lines from .txt file

Hi I have a file with contents: NAMES John carrey williams How can I get all the names and store them in seperate variables(or arrays) please keep in mind that the no. of such names is not known.Three here is a bogus value ~thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: leghorn
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join Lines every paragraph in a file.txt

Hi all, Is there any idea on how to automate convert the paragraph in one line in a file, this will happen after OCR the documents, OCR split every paragraph. I need to join all the paragraph in one line. #cat file.txtThe Commission on Higher Education (CHED) was created through Republic Act... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
7 Replies
ppmdither(1)						      General Commands Manual						      ppmdither(1)

NAME
ppmdither - ordered dither for color images SYNOPSIS
ppmdither [-dim power] [-red shades] [-green shades] [-blue shades] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input, and applies dithering to it to reduce the number of colors used down to the specified number of shades for each primary. The default number of shades is red=5, green=9, blue=5, for a total of 225 colors. To convert the image to a binary rgb format suitable for color printers, use -red 2 -green 2 -blue 2. OPTIONS
-dim power The size of the dithering matrix. The dithering matrix is a square whose dimension is a power of 2. power is that power of 2. The default is 4, for a 16 by 16 matrix. -red shades The number of red shades to be used, including black; minimum of 2. -green shades The number of green shades to be used, including black; minimum of 2. -blue shades The number of blue shades to be used, including black; minimum of 2. SEE ALSO
pnmdepth(1), ppmquant(1), ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Christos Zoulas. 14 July 1991 ppmdither(1)