Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Spawning multiple threads in Unix Post 302186541 by neeto on Thursday 17th of April 2008 01:10:05 PM
Old 04-17-2008
Spawning multiple threads in Unix

Hi,
I need to spawn mutilpe threads , each invoking a different set of shell scripts, in parallel.
What would be the best way to do that.
Any sample script would greatly help. I am a novice at Unix so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to use pipe() in multiple threads?

Hi, I have a program that runs two threads in stead of two processes. I want to use pipe to redirect the output of the first thread to the input of the second thread. One thread is continuously writing to a pipe, and the other thread will read from the pipe. How do I do that? Is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wminghao
2 Replies

2. Programming

synchronizing multiple threads in unix

hi all! I wanted to know how to synchronize multiple threads in unix It would be better if someone give some code samples Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bankpro
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

How to choose Multiple process or Multiple threads?

Hi All, Please explain me when i have to use multiple process and when I have to use Multiple threads? Please give me an example.It will be very helpful for me. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashleykumar
0 Replies

4. Programming

spawning multiple processes spread across two files

I want to spawn n child processes but have two different classes..with the foremost one forking/spawning the child process and the latter performing a function w/ the spawned processes. I can do this in one class with an if statement and the simple if((pid=fork())==0) //child process { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: StrengthThaDon
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crontab spawning multiple at processes

Hi - I need help. My user crontab is spawning multiple at processes (and multiple mencoder program starts, that exit, then restart, repeatedly), locking up my system. For example I have this entry in my crontab: $ sudo crontab -u victoria -e * * * * * ~/recordings/pvr1 * * * * *... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gstuart
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! imapd is spawning multiple processes, all of a sudden, for no reason!

Hi All, I need some assistance, if possible... Our IMAP server has recently (as of 10:30 GMT today) started spawning multiple processes for no reason! This is causing the mail server's load average to increase continually until the whole machine grinds to a halt. Here is a typical... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make this run in multiple threads

Hi, I have a list of URLs in a csv file which I'm checking for page status. It just prints the URL and the status as output. This works perfectly fine. I'm looking to run this in multiple threads to make this process faster. I'm pretty new to Perl and I managed to complete this. It would be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzenthil
9 Replies

8. AIX

Multiple pconsole processes spawning indefinetly

Good night everyone, I've been trying to make AD authentication work with RBAC and I think I messed my test LPAR up. I've manually modified the /etc/security/user.roles file, adding a role to one of my AD users (who is not defined locally) and then runned setkst. It worked fine, but now I found... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Janpol
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start multiple threads in Solaris?

Hello, In a unix Solaris environment, (for simulation) how to start multiple threads (as Light Weight Process, not background process)? thanks, J. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: seafan
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to create multiple threads

Hi , i need to run multiple scripts parallely ,on my server....i have 8 cpus . planning to run minimum of 6 scripts paralley ....could you please suggest someone . thanks in advance , (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huvan
3 Replies
INITSCRIPT(5)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     INITSCRIPT(5)

NAME
initscript - script that executes inittab commands. SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh /etc/initscript id runlevels action process DESCRIPTION
When the shell script /etc/initscript is present, init will use it to execute the commands from inittab. This script can be used to set things like ulimit and umask default values for every process. EXAMPLES
This is a sample initscript, which might be installed on your system as /etc/initscript.sample. # # initscript Executed by init(8) for every program it # wants to spawn like this: # # /bin/sh /etc/initscript <id> <level> <action> <process> # # Set umask to safe level, and enable core dumps. umask 022 ulimit -c 2097151 PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin export PATH # Increase the hard filedescriptor limit for all processes # to 8192. The soft limit is still 1024, but any unpriviliged # process can increase it's soft limit up to the hardlimit # with "ulimit -Sn xxx" (needs a 2.2.13 or later Linux kernel). ulimit -Hn 8192 # Execute the program. eval exec "$4" FILES
/etc/inittab, /etc/initscript. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg ,<miquels@cistron.nl> SEE ALSO
init(8), inittab(5). December 24, 1999 INITSCRIPT(5)