Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading a mailbox and sending new messages to a text file Post 302186507 by rsw626 on Thursday 17th of April 2008 11:40:40 AM
Old 04-17-2008
Reading a mailbox and sending new messages to a text file

I'm new to scripting and have been tasked with creating a script that will read a mailbox, such as /var/mail/user1, scan it for new messages, then send those new messages to another file.

It also has to be looped to run almost continuously.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text from a file

Guys, I am trying to read text from a file, into arrays. The format of the file is: @DATABASE femotest @PACKAGE_SPECS /usr/home/oracle92/sosa/scripts/test.pks /usr/home/oracle92/sosa/scripts/rep.pks @PACKAGE_BODIES ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiquidChild
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Attaching file and sending text in body using sendmail command!!

Hello, I need to send with text in the body and 2 files as attachments using sendmail command. i can send only one at a time either attachment or text in body of email. Can any one please help me how to get that? I will be great for any help. Thanks, Sparan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sparan_peddu
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting files with find command before sending to text file

i need help with my script.... i am suppose to grab files within a certain date range now i have done that already using the touch and find command (found them in other threads) touch -d "$date_start" ./tmp1 touch -d "$date_end" ./tmp2 find "$data_location" -maxdepth 1 -newer ./tmp1 !... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deking
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reading a file and sending mail based on content of the file

Hi Gurus, I am having an requirement. i have to read a list file which contains file names and send mail to different users based on the files in the list file. eg. if file a.txt exists then send a mail to a@a.com simillary for b.txt,c.txt etc. Thanks for your help, Nimu (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimu1979
6 Replies

5. Programming

reading a text file in c++

hello all , im trying to read a text file and display its contents. While i got the code running and the output was displayed perfectly for sometime , i started getting Abort(core dump) error . Am i missing something here ? im using HP-UX. #include <iostream.h> #include <fstream.h> #include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishy_85
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with sending email(to include contents of text file)

Hello, I was using a shell script for sending contents of a text file(email.report) to different users. I was using the below command in my script to send email... cat email.report | /usr/bin/mailx -s $REQ_SUBJECT -h 5 abc@xyz.com It was working fine all these days but now all of a sudden it... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file and sending mail by shell scripting?

hi I need help urgently...i need to write a shell script which can solve the following problem....its urgent plz help me out coz m totally newbie in shell scripting.... the problem is: Suppose I have a folder called logs. whenever some error occurs some correspondence error file is generated. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird ? symbol coming through-sending text file

Hi All, When I am trying to send a text file through Unix,I get a weird symbol in the .txt file. The symbol is ? in a box (square)....which is making the file unloadable. Please help me with the solution. Thanks in advance Gopi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gopi.palleti
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail to multiple recipient added in a text file

I am trying to find a code that can help me mail to a list of recipients which are in a text file. Sample code $cat recipient.txt me@test.com me1@test.com me2@test.com I want a mailx step that can read contents of recipient.txt and mail to all the users. I don't want to use mails... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gurkamal83
1 Replies

10. Programming

How to write in other language in text/xml file by reading english text/xml file using C++?

Hello Team, I have 2 files.one contains english text and another contains Japanese. so i have to read english text and replace the text with Japanesh text in third file. Basically, I need a help to write japanese language in text/xml file.I heard wstring does this.Not sure how do i write... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies
readmail(1)						      General Commands Manual						       readmail(1)

NAME
readmail - read mail from a mail folder or incoming mailbox SYNOPSIS
folder] [number-list|pattern] DESCRIPTION
The program displays messages from your incoming mailbox or a specified mail folder. Within the mail system (see elm(1) with no operands and optionally the or option, displays the appropriate headers and the body of the cur- rent message. With the number-list operand and no options, displays the corresponding messages and a summary of the headers from your incoming mailbox. With the pattern operand and no options, displays the first message that matches the pattern and a summary of the headers from your incom- ing mailbox. Options supports the following options. Print all messages that match pattern. If no pattern was specified, this option is ignored. Use file folder for the operations instead of the incoming mailbox. Include the entire header of the matched message or messages when displaying their text. The default is to display the and lines only. Exclude all headers. Put form feeds ( between message headers. This is useful when printing sets of messages. Operands supports the following operands. number-list A blank-separated list of the ordinal locations of messages in the mail file (i.e., their "message numbers"), up to 25 at a time. The character means the last message in the mail file. Similarly, represents every message in the file (i.e., The message numbers are sorted into ascending order. Thus, produces the same output as pattern A string that is present in one of the messages. This pattern can be typed in directly (no quotes) if the words are separated by a single space in the actual message. The pattern matching is case sensitive, so and are not equiva- lent. Leading digits (on the first word) are not permitted; however, you can precede them with a space and quote the entire string, if the space occurs in the message, as in . EXAMPLES
If you are using to reply to a message from within the mail system, you can insert the text of the current message with the command: If you define an alias similar to: you can use it with a program such to peruse mail as it arrives, without needing to start a mail system (see newmail(1)). AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
Incoming mailbox Temporary file for SEE ALSO
elm(1), newmail(1), vi(1). readmail(1)