Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with my case statements Post 302186487 by Darklight on Thursday 17th of April 2008 10:45:35 AM
Old 04-17-2008
Thanks for that, it was the comments that were the problem.

Thanks also for the advice, im new to shell ill take all i can get.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

case statements

i need to use a case statement to do something when the user enters nothing at the prompt. i know about the if statement and that isnt' what i'm interested in using for this. i want to use case. heres the scenerio. a program asks a user for an input. i want to use a case statement to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Terrible
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to combine case statements

Hi, I need to change military time to regular time. I know to use case to indicate whether a.m. or p.m. as follows: case "$hour" in 0? | 1 ) echo a.m.;; 1 ) echo p.m.;; * ) echo p.m.;; esac My question is how do I add the hour and minute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karp3158
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to exit from case statements

Hi all, I wrote the following simple shell script to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. In the below program, i am not able to exit from the script Shell Script ----------- #!/bin/sh bgcal() { cal="" echo "Enter the Option Number: \c" read cal if then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxpassion
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with CASE statement

Guys, Here is the script syntax which is not accepting the parameters & not performing the said activity. $ ./routing.sh xyz123-ra str enable ********************************************************************** Preparing to service the request for Device xyz123-ra in Question... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
9 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Case statements and creating a file database

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The assignment is posted below: Maintain automobile records in a database Write a shell script to create,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Boltftw
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple If statements in bash problem

Hi everyone, May you help me with the correct syntax of the follow bash statements please X=10 if ]; then echo "The value is between 1 and 5" for ((i=1;i<=${X})); do echo $i done else if ]; then echo "The value is between 6 and 10" for ((i=1;i<=${X})); do ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with case

hello everyone.. i want to make a file which, when u run it, it asks for your name and how many times you want to see your name displayed.. the program ever 10 times it will ask you if you want to continue and u have to answer with Y or N. if you type Y it continues displaying your name from where... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Telis
8 Replies

8. Programming

Problem with IF ELSEIF and GOTO statements in FORTRAN

Hi I am reading a book about Fortran 90 and I write the following code, to test my understanding of the first chapter. I have a problem with the last section of the code with deals with an IF, ELSEIF, and GOTO statements. Here is my Code PROGRAM sim ! This code is used to solve two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert to case statements from if/elif

Hello, I wrote the case on code but it mistakes. I am not sure. If/elif code: #!/bin/ksh you=$LOGNAME hour=`date | awk '{print substr($4, 1, 2)}'` print "The time is: $(date)" if (( hour > 0 && $hour < 12 )) then print "Good morning, $you!" elif (( hour == 12 )) then (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Masterpoker
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for pattern in variable using case statements

i would like to search a variable for a pattern, without having make any calls to external tools. i have a code like this: COUNTPRO2="gine is very bad vine is pretty good" case "${COUNTPRO2}" in *vine*) factor=${COUNTPRO2} echo $factor ;; esac If the variable contains... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies
posix_fadvise(2)						System Calls Manual						  posix_fadvise(2)

NAME
posix_fadvise(), posix_fadvise64() - file advisory information SYNOPSIS
Parameters fd The open file descriptor to which the fadvise operation applies. offset The begining of the specified range as a positive, byte offset. len The length of the specified range in bytes. advice Specifies advice to be applied to range. DESCRIPTION
The function is used to advise the system about the expected behavior of the application with respect to the data in the file associated with the open file descriptor, fd, starting at offset and continuing for len bytes. The specified range need not currently exist in the file. If len is zero, all data following offset is specified. It should be noted that the effect of all hints is cumulative for a given file object. All hints will be removed on processing the last close of the file object. The function may be used for large file access by a 32-bit application built with set to 64. The advice parameter is used to convey the hint to be applied to the data and may be one of the following values: Specifies that the application has no advice to give on its behavior with respect to the specified data. It is the default characteristic if no advice is given for an open file. Specifies that the application expects to access the specified range of data sequentially from the lower offsets to higher offsets. Specifies that the application will expect to access the specified specified range of data in a random order. Specifies that the application will expect to access the specified range of data in the near future. Specifies that the application will expect that it will not access the specified range of data in the near future. Specifies that the application will expect to access the specified range of data once and then not reuse it thereafter. These values will be defined in RETURN VALUE
Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the service fails, is set to one of the following values: The fd argument is not a valid file descriptor. The fd argument is associated with a pipe or FIFO. The posix_fadvise operation is not supported by the underlying file system. The value of advice or one of the other input values has been found to be invalid. A designated hint is not supported by the underlying file object. EXAMPLES
AUTHOR
was derived by HP from the IEEE POSIX 1003.1-2001 Standard. SEE ALSO
fadvise(2), fcntl(2), fadvise(5), fcntl(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
posix_fadvise(2)