Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: basic question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting basic question Post 302186468 by namishtiwari on Thursday 17th of April 2008 10:18:30 AM
Old 04-17-2008
basic question

hi,

I have a basic question,,

i am in a directory called
/intas/OCU_3.9.1/sbin

ocuut1@france>mv itsa_tcs itsa_tcs_old
mv: itsa_tcs_old: rename: Permission denied

i am logging as the owner of the file.

when i am doing this i am getting the above error of permission denied.
I know there is some permission prblem but how can i check that,then i use the chmod command and give the permission to the directory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

I have some basic doubts. Can someone clarify in this forum? 1)if then eval ' tset -s -Q -m ':?hp' ' else eval ' tset -s -Q ' what does it exactly mean in .profile? 2) what are 'nobody' and 'noaccess' usernames in /etc/passwd file. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

hey...when i type who...what does "pts" field mean??? eg pts 0 etc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urwannabefriend
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very Basic Question

How to know if my AIX 5.2 is running at 64bits? THANKS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GermanSkull
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Really basic question....

Hello all. Let me start off by saying I know a little more then it seems by me asking this question... here goes I have an old 486 box and I want to start messing around with unix. I've been taking classes for 3 or 4 years in c programming in unix, so I am used to the commands and such, but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robherms
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Basic OS question

Could someone tell me the command to find out the OS version which will give 12 character not the 9 characters(which is usually machine id). uname -i gives machine id and uname -a is more comprehensive way to look. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic nc question

i'm doing this in one terminal: nc -lu 7402 and it appears to start listening properly, then in another i do this: echo "hello" | nc -u localhost 7402 and nothing happens on the listening terminal - what am i doing wrong? thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterworth
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

really basic for loop question

sorry for being dumb here, but is there a way my for loop can take an entire line of a file into consideration instead of each word in a line... ill explain if i have a file like this # cat list serial: 23124 hostname: server1 and a script that does this # cat list.sh #!/bin/sh ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

8. Solaris

patchadd -p ,, basic question

greetings, I am new to solaris, have a basic question. I have to check for patch 137111-04 (as prerequisite) for installing Oracle. # patchadd -p | grep 137111-04 # patchadd -p | grep 137111 Patch: 137137-09 Obsoletes: 120741-01 120986-12 120992-02 121008-02 121274-01 121414-01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mubeenmd
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic sed question

Please have a look at below examples. Why do these 3 sed commands deliver the same result? Especially, why are there 4 "x" in the result instead of 3? 1. echo "abc" | sed 's/d*/x/g' xaxbxcx 2. echo "abc" | sed 's/d*/&x/g' xaxbxcx 3. echo "abc" | sed 's/d*/x&/g' xaxbxcx Thanks for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Werner Gross
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic IF Command Question

Hi, I have a months worth of data that I need to separate into weekly files. There is a date column with dates in the following format: YYYYMMDD. I'm thinking I can create the weekly files by using a grep command combined with an IF command and specify each day of the specific week I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cwl
1 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)