Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to write script in compress format Post 302186415 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 17th of April 2008 07:18:45 AM
Old 04-17-2008
What you qare asking does not make a lot of sense - this will make a tiny tatball out of a shell script:
Code:
tar cvf myscript.tar myscript.sh
gzip myscript.tar

The output is myscript.tar.gz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compress script

Hi, How wud I script a particular log file to be compressed at a particular time and to be uncompressed after say 2 hours ? Im on a aix 3.2 box . file to be compressed --- > # pwd # /zssps/sps06/slogfile Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

write data into a text file in bold format

Hi, can anyone help to write data into a text file in bold format and rollback to actual format. Thanks, Regards, Milton Y. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miltony
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script needed for compress

i hav 200 logs files in a folder i want compress only the files having size more than 10 mb . please provide a script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingkhankk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script in saved in compress format

hi please help me i have scripts saved in compress format in sever Cherrs naveen.g (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveeng.81
1 Replies

5. Programming

how to write a file to binary format in C ?

I'm in the Solaris environment. I want to write data to a file, but I don't want it to be easily read from the C shell. For example, here's my code: main () { FILE *fo; fo = fopen ("filename", "w"); fprintf (fo, "This is a test.\n"); fclose (fo); } Anyone can open up... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: serendipity1276
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

write a perl script or kornshell reading a two files and outputting to comma format

Hello Can someone help me to write a perl script or kornshell reading a two files and outputting to comma format. Here is the two files listofdisks.txt id, diskname, diskgroup, diskisze(GB), FC 1, CN34, GRP1, 30, FC_CN34 2, CN67, GRP5, 19, 4, VD1, GRP4, 23, FC_VD1 6, CF_D1, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deiow
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

write in ebcdic format

Hi - Is there a way to write the data in the ebcdic format. I mean I already have one file in the ebcdic format and I have to add a couple of rows to it in the ebcdic format. could any one please let me know how can I do that. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write shell script for input file name format checking?

Hello, I had written a shell script that accepts input file as cmd line argument and process this file. if ; then if ; then . $1 LOGFILE="$LOG_FILE/MIG_BIOS.log"; get_input_file else ERROR_CODE=MSCRM0005_003 error "$ERROR_CODE : Input file $1 is not available"; exit... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poonamol
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to compress the file for yesterday.

Hi, I want to write script for the last 5 files to compress. #!/bin/sh a= ls -ltr | awk '{print $9}' | head -5 | tail -3 echo `compress $a` exit 0 but this was telling "not found" please modify the script if i am wrong. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
5 Replies
virt-tar-out(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-tar-out(1)

NAME
virt-tar-out - Pack a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-out -a disk.img /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir - | gzip --best > files.tar.gz DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-out" packs a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. The first parameter is the absolute path of the virtual machine directory. The second parameter is the tar file to write. Use "-" to write to standard output. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a guest: virt-tar-out -d MyGuest /home - | gzip --best > homes.tar.gz JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-out(1)