Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [BASH - KSH] Passing array to a function Post 302186358 by ripat on Thursday 17th of April 2008 03:21:18 AM
Old 04-17-2008
Hi Perderabo,

With my GNU bash, version 3.2.25 it only returns the array name "colors" but not its contents. I have also tried this trick:

Code:
function print_array {
    array_name="$1[*]"
    echo ${!array_name}
}

It returns the array elements (on one line) but the local array doesn't exists as such as I can not access it by doing something like:

Code:
function print_array {
    array_name="$1"
    echo ${!array_name[1]}
}

This always return the first element "pink" [0]. Of course I could access the array elements by doing:
Code:
function print_array {
    array_name="$1[0]"
    echo ${!array_name}

array_name="$1[1]"
    echo ${!array_name}

array_name="$1[2]"
    echo ${!array_name}
}

Which is rather inelegant and clumsy. All I wanted is to create a *local* copy of the array whose name is passed to the function as positional parameter ($1 $2 ....). By the way, how can I copy an array without looping throught it and assigning values one by one. Of course, the following doesn't work:
Code:
colors=('Pink' 'Light Gray' 'Green')
echo ${colors[@]}

copy_colors=$colors
echo ${copy_colors[@]}

# returns:
# Pink Light Gray Green (3 elements)
# Pink

copy_colors=(${colors[*]})
echo ${copy_colors[*]}
echo ${copy_colors[1]}

# "Light Gray" is split:
# Pink Light Gray Green (4 elements!)
# Light

I think I start to understand why members of this forum perfer ksh :=)

Last edited by ripat; 04-17-2008 at 08:21 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Function Array Arguement Passing

Hi All, I have some questions regarding array arguements passing for Perl Function. If @array contains 2 items , arguements passing would be like Code_A. But what if @array needs to add in more items, the rest of the code like $_ will have to be modified as well (highlighted in red), which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing values to function in Ksh

Hi, I'm trying to work on the script given below #!/bin/ksh -x pfile() { echo "$1" } touch smp19 echo "Hi" > smp19 result=$(pfile $smp19) echo $result As highlighted , when i pass $smp19 as parameter ,it does not display the output.However when i try giving "Hi" instead... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheema
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] passing array to function

Hi, I'm trying to write a function that reassigns an array to another local array but the method used in reassigning the array reformats the contents of the array which is what I am trying to prevent. The method used to load a file into an array works as expected and the entire array is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing array to functions in ksh script

Let me know if there is a way to pass array to a funtion in ksh script. function isPresent { typeset member member=$1 dbList=$2 echo '$1:' $1 echo '$2' $dbList The array will be at the second position....something like this isPresent 12 <array> if then echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
3 Replies

5. Programming

Passing two dimensional array to a function

Hi. I have a problem with passing two dimensional array to a function. First, let me show my code to explain what i am going to do: I have function:void initialize_board(char board);which is supposed to modify content of passed array. I have read here: Question 6.18 how such arrays should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shang
3 Replies

6. Programming

[solved]help passing array of structs to function in c

this is my code to try and prinnt out a deck of cards. the print function worked when used inside main without being a function but now i cant get it to work as a function probably since i dont know how to pass a struct array in c. I gave it a shot but i keep getting an assortment of errors. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjhum33
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why double quotation marks doesn't work in ksh function parameters passing?

I'm working on AIX 6, ksh shell. The parameters are some strings quotated by double quotation marks which from a file. They are quotated because there may be spaces in them. Example: "015607" "10" " " "A"I want to pass these parameters to a shell function by writing the following command: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shimmey
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Passing An Array

Good grief so this should be easy. Passing an array as an argument to a function. Here is the sample code: #/bin/bash function foo { local p1=${1} local p2=(${2}) local p3=${3} echo p1 is $p1 echo p2 is $p2 echo p3 is $p3 } d1=data1 d2=data2 a=(bat bar baz) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing values from file into array in Bash

Hi, I'm trying to write a bash script that takes a file and passes each line from the file into an array with elements separated by column. For example: Sample file "file1.txt": 1 name1 a first 2 name2 b second 3 name3 c third and have arrays such as: line1 = ( "1" "name1" "a"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShiGua
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coredump when passing file name to ksh function

Hi, I'm playing with ksh. I'm trying to do a simple task: read file name from cli and call a function which calculated number of lines in file. I'm getting coredump every time when I try to read that file. Korn shell version $ print ${.sh.version} Version AJM 93u+ 2012-08-01 Main... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
5 Replies
LKSH(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   LKSH(1)

NAME
lksh -- Legacy Korn shell built on mksh SYNOPSIS
lksh [-+abCefhiklmnprUuvXx] [-+o opt] [-c string | -s | file [args ...]] DESCRIPTION
lksh is a command interpreter intended exclusive for running legacy shell scripts. It is built on mksh; refer to its manual page for details on the scripting language. LEGACY MODE
lksh has the following differences from mksh: o lksh is not suitable for use as /bin/sh. o There is no explicit support for interactive use, nor any command line editing code. Hence, lksh is not suitable as a user's login shell, either; use mksh instead. o The KSH_VERSION string identifies lksh as ``LEGACY KSH'' instead of ``MIRBSD KSH''. o Some mksh specific extensions are missing; specifically, the -T command-line option. o lksh always uses traditional mode for constructs like: $ set -- $(getopt ab:c "$@") $ echo $? POSIX mandates this to show 0, but traditional mode passes through the errorlevel from the getopt(1) command. o lksh, unlike AT&T UNIX ksh, does not keep file descriptors > 2 private. o lksh parses leading-zero numbers as octal (base 8). o Integers use the host C environment's long type, not int32_t. Unsigned arithmetic is done using unsigned long, not uint32_t. Neither value limits nor wraparound is guaranteed. Dividing the largest negative number by -1 is Undefined Behaviour (but might work on 32-bit and 64-bit long types). o lksh only offers the traditional ten file descriptors to scripts. SEE ALSO
mksh(1) https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm https://www.mirbsd.org/ksh-chan.htm CAVEATS
lksh tries to make a cross between a legacy bourne/posix compatibl-ish shell and a legacy pdksh-alike but ``legacy'' is not exactly speci- fied. Parsing numbers with leading zero digits or ``0x'' is relatively recent in all pdksh derivates, but supported here for completeness. It might make sense to make this a run-time option, but that might also be overkill. The set built-in command does not have all options one would expect from a full-blown mksh or pdksh. Talk to the MirOS development team using the mailing list at <miros-mksh@mirbsd.org> or the #!/bin/mksh (or #ksh) IRC channel at irc.freenode.net (Port 6697 SSL, 6667 unencrypted) if you need any further quirks or assistance, and consider migrating your legacy scripts to work with mksh instead of requiring lksh. MirBSD February 11, 2013 MirBSD