Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How can i replace a character with blank space? Post 302186289 by bakunin on Thursday 17th of April 2008 02:07:29 AM
Old 04-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollthecoin
The query should check for characters which is not present in the following
A to Z,
a to z ,
0 to 9
You have already solved the problem almost - all on your own. Just construct a simple regular expression from your goal:

Code:
[^A-Za-z0-9.,#&@]

will find any characters which are not small characters, capitalized characters, digits or some punctuation characters. Add in the brackets more punctuation characters to exclude them too from the found characters as per your request. Now put this mechanism to work with "sed" or whatever:

Code:
sed '/[^A-Za-z0-9.,#&@]//g' /path/to/sourcefile > /path/to/newfile

will delete all the characters not covered in the regexp and write the result to a file. Check this file and modify the regexp as necessary depending on the result.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace all entries of comma in text file by space or other character

Hi , How to replace all entries of comma in text file by space or other character. cat temp.txt A,B,C,D I want this file to be like A B C D Please help!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant43
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a blank space with string "\\ "

Hi, I have a requirement to replace a every blank space with char "\\ ". Like string "God Love" to "God\\ Love" and "God Love" as "God\\ \\ Love". and only in the sed. We have already a script but it is replaceing all continuous blank space with one "\\ ". which is as DIR=`sudo echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay4u
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace a character with blank in a file

hi, I have a doubt in replacing characters with blank. My requirement is that, i have one file and looks like below 4:ALTER SYSTEM DISCONNECT SESSION '193,191' IMMEDIATE; 6:ALTER SYSTEM DISCONNECT SESSION '205,7274' IMMEDIATE; 5:ALTER SYSTEM DISCONNECT SESSION '206,34158' IMMEDIATE;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace comma with a blank space using SED

Hello everyone, I want to replace all "," (commas) with a blank space My command thus far is: cat test.text | sed -e s/\`//g | awk '{print$1" "$2" "$3}' I'm sure you guys know this, but the SED command that I am using is to get rid of the "`" (tics). which gives me: name ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayT
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace colon with blank space

Dear Gurus, I have a unix file with multiple colons on each row, and I would like to replace each colon with a blank space using the awk command. For example, I have the following data: Data: --------- A~000000000000518000~SLP:~99991231~20090701~00102.00~USD:~CS:~... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chumsky
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace newline character between a double quotes to a space

Hi Guys, I have a file with content as below aj.txt "Iam allfine" abcdef abcd "all is not well" What I'm trying to say is my data has some new line characters in between quoted text. I must get ride of the newline character that comes in between the quoted text. output must be:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajahuja
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Romove columns and replace a space with a character

Hi, I have a file containing this: testvol1 unix enabled testvol2 unix enabled testvol3 unix enabled testvol3 qtree1 unix enabled testvol3 qtree2 unix enabled testvol4 unix enabled testvol4 qtree1 unix enabled And I want an output of this: testvol1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niap21
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace character by blank

Hi all, I have 89 columns,1200 rows in a flat file, some of the values are just '.' (the character dot). I want to replace them by nothing (blank), but when I do so, it affects the decimal numbers too. so 12.34 becomes 1234. How can I just replace values which are only '.' with 1 white... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank space and insert special character

Hi Folks, I have a huge data of the below format abc #apple 1200 06/23 ghj #orange 1500 06/27 uyt #banana 2300 05/13 efg #vegetable 0700 04/16 After first 3 letters, i have 9 spaces and after fruit there are no specific fixed space, but it varies... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
4 Replies

10. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies
String::Random(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       String::Random(3pm)

NAME
String::Random - Perl module to generate random strings based on a pattern SYNOPSIS
use String::Random; $foo = new String::Random; print $foo->randregex('ddd'); # Prints 3 random digits print $foo->randpattern("..."); # Prints 3 random printable characters or use String::Random qw(random_regex random_string); print random_regex('ddd'); # Also prints 3 random digits print random_string("..."); # Also prints 3 random printable characters DESCRIPTION
This module makes it trivial to generate random strings. As an example, let's say you are writing a script that needs to generate a random password for a user. The relevant code might look something like this: use String::Random; $pass = new String::Random; print "Your password is ", $pass->randpattern("CCcc!ccn"), " "; This would output something like this: Your password is UDwp$tj5 If you are more comfortable dealing with regular expressions, the following code would have a similar result: use String::Random; $pass = new String::Random; print "Your password is ", $pass->randregex('[A-Z]{2}[a-z]{2}.[a-z]{2}d'), " "; Patterns The pre-defined patterns (for use with "randpattern()" and "random_pattern()") are as follows: c Any lowercase character [a-z] C Any uppercase character [A-Z] n Any digit [0-9] ! A punctuation character [~`!@$%^&*()-_+={}[]|:;"'.<>?/#,] . Any of the above s A "salt" character [A-Za-z0-9./] b Any binary data These can be modified, but if you need a different pattern it is better to create another pattern, possibly using one of the pre-defined as a base. For example, if you wanted a pattern "A" that contained all upper and lower case letters ("[A-Za-z]"), the following would work: $foo = new String::Random; $foo->{'A'} = [ 'A'..'Z', 'a'..'z' ]; or $foo = new String::Random; $foo->{'A'} = [ @{$foo->{'C'}}, @{$foo->{'c'}} ]; The random_string function, described below, has an alternative interface for adding patterns. Methods new new max => number Create a new String::Random object. Optionally a parameter "max" can be included to specify the maximum number of characters to return for "*" and other regular expression patters that don't return a fixed number of characters. randpattern LIST The randpattern method returns a random string based on the concatenation of all the pattern strings in the list. It will return a list of random strings corresponding to the pattern strings when used in list context. randregex LIST The randregex method returns a random string that will match the regular expression passed in the list argument. Please note that the arguments to randregex are not real regular expressions. Only a small subset of regular expression syntax is actually supported. So far, the following regular expression elements are supported: w Alphanumeric + "_". d Digits. W Printable characters other than those in w. D Printable characters other than those in d. . Printable characters. [] Character classes. {} Repetition. * Same as {0,}. ? Same as {0,1}. + Same as {1,}. Regular expression support is still somewhat incomplete. Currently special characters inside [] are not supported (with the exception of "-" to denote ranges of characters). The parser doesn't care for spaces in the "regular expression" either. Functions random_string PATTERN,LIST random_string PATTERN When called with a single scalar argument, random_string returns a random string using that scalar as a pattern. Optionally, references to lists containing other patterns can be passed to the function. Those lists will be used for 0 through 9 in the pattern (meaning the maximum number of lists that can be passed is 10). For example, the following code: print random_string("0101", ["a", "b", "c"], ["d", "e", "f"]), " "; would print something like this: cebd BUGS
This is Bug Free(TM) code. (At least until somebody finds one...) AUTHOR
Steven Pritchard <steve@silug.org> SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.10.0 2009-06-11 String::Random(3pm)