Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: list files commands
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting list files commands Post 302185907 by lweegp on Wednesday 16th of April 2008 05:15:54 AM
Old 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by era
If there are files from 2005 and 2006 which coincidentally contain 200401 in their file name then you need to make the regular expression more exact. If the date is always just before a final .txt extension then grep 2004....\.txt$ might work better. (Just a dot means "any character" in a regular expression.)
hi era,

thanks for the guide. tried the command but getting this result:

spids111% ls -ltr |grep *2004....\.txt$* | more
No match
spids111%

somewhere gone wrong in my command line? Smilie

thanks again! Smilie

wee

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List of Commands for Unix Please

Hello, I have recentlly been given access to a Unix based server in order to learn how to operate a Unix machine.. i have never used Unix before and am in need of a list of commands and there functions.. if you have one available please send it to me in .txt or wordpad document form.. thank you in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShdwMaster
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Thorough List of FreeBSD commands?!?

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a site that covered all or many of FreeBSD's built in commands. I would also like to know what FreeBSD automatically logs, and where it logs it. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kyser_Soze
1 Replies

3. Solaris

List of Commands

Dear All, I am a new Administrator of Solaris in the company , I need a list of the commands pls ... Regards Adel (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArabOracle.com
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Comparison List of commands

Hi, I would like to have a list of commands in a table, see below example Command description HPUNIX SUN UNIX IBM AIX all above i need comparison list of commands ASAP please.......... B.R (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: f_amshan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command for maintaining the list of commands used

Hi, There is a command by which you can maintain a list of commands previously typed. By this you dont have to type in the same command again and can use the up-down arrows to scroll through the list. Which is this command, i am not able to recall. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: appledrive
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

List of internal commands ??

Dear Sir/Mam, Can you tell me list of internal commands which are easy to implements...??? Means sir I am a beginner in unix shell programming. So, I just wanted to know that which internal commands are easy to implements in C language. thanks.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranusahu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know the list of all commands supported by unix ?

how to know the list of all commands supported by unix. how to know the list of functions supported by unix. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo commands list

Hi, Can you please give me a list of commands executed through 'sudo' command, thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dev_Dev
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to save and run a list of commands?

Dear every one, I am working with the data of my lab program and I have to do many times by the same list of some commands (grep, then save to file, then use awk to delete odd lines, save to file, use awk to delete even lines, save to file...). Is there any way to save a list of command which I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamnu
4 Replies
grep(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   grep(1)

Name
       grep, egrep, fgrep - search file for regular expression

Syntax
       grep [option...] expression [file...]

egrep [option...] [expression] [file...]

fgrep [option...] [strings] [file]

Description
       Commands  of  the family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern.  Normally, each line found is copied
       to the standard output.

The command patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of which uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm.  The command patterns
       are  full  regular  expressions.  The command uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.  The command pat-
       terns are fixed strings.  The command is fast and compact.

In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file.  Take care when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and   in  the
       expression because they are also meaningful to the Shell.  It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '.

The command searches for lines that contain one of the (new line-separated) strings.

The command accepts extended regular expressions.  In the following description `character' excludes new line:

A  followed by a single character other than new line matches that character.

The character ^ matches the beginning of a line.

The character $ matches the end of a line.

A .  (dot) matches any character.

A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character.

A  string  enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string.	Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated
	      as in `a-z0-9'.  A ] may occur only as the first character of the string.  A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken	as
	      a range indicator.

A  regular  expression  followed	by  an	* (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular
	      expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular expression  followed
	      by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression.

Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second.

Two regular expressions separated by | or new line match either a match for the first or a match for the second.

A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression.

The  order  of  precedence  of  operators at the same parenthesis level is the following:  [], then *+?, then concatenation, then | and new
       line.

Options
       -b	   Precedes each output line with its block number.  This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by context.

-c	   Produces count of matching lines only.

-e expression
		   Uses next argument as expression that begins with a minus (-).

-f file	   Takes regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) from file.

-i	   Considers upper and lowercase letter identical in making comparisons and only).

-l	   Lists files with matching lines only once, separated by a new line.

-n	   Precedes each matching line with its line number.

-s	   Silent mode and nothing is printed (except error messages).	This is useful for checking the error status (see DIAGNOSTICS).

-v	   Displays all lines that do not match specified expression.

-w	   Searches for an expression as for a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>').  For further information, see only.

-x	   Prints exact lines matched in their entirety only).

Restrictions
       Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated.

Diagnostics
       Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files.

See Also
       ex(1), sed(1), sh(1)

grep(1)