Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to create a process
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to create a process Post 302185795 by chanikya on Wednesday 16th of April 2008 01:36:36 AM
Old 04-16-2008
CPU & Memory how to create a process

Hell Sir,
This is chanikya
Is there any System call which behaves just like fork but i dont want to return back two times to the calling func.
In the following ex iam creating a child process in the called func but the ex prints two times IN MAIN.

ex :-
Code:
calling()
{
fork();

}

main()
{
calling();
printf("IN MAIN\n");
}

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 04-16-2008 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to create constantly running process

Ther are two process in my program and i want both to constantly running. So i have written the following code. But one of this process which is calling function wsJobCheck() is getting terminated with giving message : Program exited normally. Can any one suggest why this is happing. Code : ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhakti
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a dummy process of a process already running?

Hi Everybody, I want to create a shell script named as say "jip" and it is runned. And i want that when i do ps + grep for the process than this jip should be shown as process. Infact there might be process with name jip which is already running. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shambhu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you create a zombie process?

I'm very new to UNIX, so I need some help please. How do I create a zombie process with just basic UNIX commands (no script, C, PERL, etc)? Please give an example. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: teiji
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a html file if a process is running??

Hi All, I need to check for a process, if the process is running then I have to create an HTML file, say A.HTML. If the process is not running then I have to rename the existing html, say A.HTML to B.HTML so that the process which looks for the file A.HTML does not find it? How do I do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Cannot create slave process

Hi I have solaris 10 system. I try get backup of one mount point to LTO2 tape drive which is attached to another machine but backup aborted.(restoring files to another mount point at same time) . can anybody help me DUMP: Mapping (Pass I) DUMP: Mapping (Pass II) DUMP: Writing 63... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lskod
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Direction to create website to process grep and SED requests

hi I am seeking to create a cgi-bin type creation that will allow users browsing the site to be able to run searches that would be a grep command or SED in the backround. I am not sure how to go about this, if you would give me a pointer or direction about what technology i could inform myself... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdc01
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process text file to create CSV

I am working on a text file where I have to get data from a text file and convert it into either CSV format or Column format as shown below. OUTPUT Expected GRP Name Pair Size DName DNumber PName PNumber adm_grp Pair1 150.00KG Pair_0ABC_1 0396 Pair_0267_s 1292 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunya
6 Replies

9. Programming

Create a group of process

Hi all ! :) What I want? 1. All child process must be in the same group of process. Parent is a leader of the group. How to do this? I would be greatfull of some example of code, I read about setsid but I can't even start... My code so far: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattdj
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to create variables to pass into a bash loop to create a download link

I have created one file that contains all the necessary info in it to create a download link. In each of the lines /results/analysis/output/Home/Auto_user_S5-00580-6-Medexome_67_032/plugin_out/FileExporter_out.67... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
CPU_LWP_FORK(9) 					   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					   CPU_LWP_FORK(9)

NAME
cpu_lwp_fork, child_return, proc_trampoline -- finish a fork operation SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/proc.h> void cpu_lwp_fork(struct lwp *l1, struct lwp *l2, void *stack, size_t stacksize, void (*func)(void *), void *arg); void child_return(void *arg); DESCRIPTION
cpu_lwp_fork() is the machine-dependent portion of fork1() which finishes a fork operation, with child lwp l2 nearly set up. It copies and updates the PCB and trap frame from the parent l1, making the child ready to run. cpu_lwp_fork() rigs the child's kernel stack so that it will start in proc_trampoline(). proc_trampoline() does not have a normal calling sequence and is entered by cpu_switch(). If an alternate user-level stack is requested (with non-zero values in both the stack and stacksize arguments), the user stack pointer is set up accordingly. After being entered by cpu_switch() and while running in user context (within the kernel) proc_trampoline() will invoke the function func with the argument arg. If a kernel thread is being created, the return path and argument are specified with func and arg. If a user process is being created, fork1() will pass child_return() and l2 to cpu_lwp_fork() as func and arg respectively. This causes the newly-created child process to go directly to user level with an apparent return value of 0 from fork(2), while the parent process returns normally. SEE ALSO
fork(2), cpu_switchto(9), fork1(9) BSD
April 13, 2010 BSD