Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Using GDB to analyse different CORE dumps Post 302185782 by nsdeeps on Wednesday 16th of April 2008 12:10:42 AM
Old 04-16-2008
by different target i mean, different platforms. i.e, cores generated from VxWorks, Solaris, Linux, powerpc etc ..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

reading core dumps

Does anyone know how to read core dumps. Is gdb the only tool for it ? The OS is Solaris. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suntan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Generating core dumps

I have the following set up on a Sun server running solaris 5.8 for core dump generation coreadm global core file pattern: /var/core init core file pattern: /var/core global core dumps: enabled per-process core dumps: enabled global setid core dumps:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
4 Replies

3. Programming

strcmp core dumps

hi everyone, Right now when I do: strcmp(s1, s2); i get a core dump because at times s1 or s2 can be nothing so that makes strcmp() core dump. What is the solution, if at times I expect one of them (or both) to be NULL? I want to be able to compare that s1 is NULL and s2 is "blah" or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: annie
6 Replies

4. Programming

AIX core dumps

My program is not dumping core when hitting a segmentation violation inside a thread. However, it dumps core when the segv occurs within main. Any ideas on how to diagnose this? AIX 5.3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bean66
4 Replies

5. Solaris

core dumps

i had a situation where a process was defunct. preap would not reap the process and gcore would not work properly (not sure why). therefore, the suggestion was to force a panic and collect the core dump. obviously you could do a savecore -L and capture the dump without bringing down the system.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pupp
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

generating core dumps

Hi I have a Fedora installed and I try to generate my application's core dump file. My system has no coredump limit: $ ulimit core file size (blocks, -c) unlimited But when my application crashes no core dumps generated. I can generate dump file using gcore but it is not appropraite... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyzt
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

analyse core file using pmap and pstack

Dear All, I am new to this forum. This is my first. I am facing customer issue. Customer has got core file while running the server. He had sent core file and details from pstack, pmap and pldd commands. I have to debug this application, please help me to fix this issue. I am using sparc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranBangalore
1 Replies

8. Solaris

analyse core file using pmap and pstack

Dear All, I am new to this forum. This is my first. I am facing customer issue. Customer has got core file while running the server. He had sent core file and details from pstack, pmap and pldd commands. I have to debug this application, please help me to fix this issue. I am using sparc 10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranBangalore
4 Replies

9. Linux

unable to read core dumps on unix. Is there another way than using GDB?

hi all, I am having set of core dumps obtained from client server. Now i am trying to read them but unable to do so. I have few queries: 1. Core dumps were generated on some xyz server and copied to my unix virtual. Can I read them as text here? 2. I tried installing gdb-7.3 but when i fire... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suyogs
0 Replies

10. HP-UX

Generate core dumps

kill -SEGV <pid> gives me the core file for that process but also terminates the process. Can I not get the core dump without terminating the process ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
grub(5) 																   grub(5)

NAME
grub - GRand Unified Bootloader software on Solaris The current release of the Solaris operating system is shipped with the GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) software. GRUB is developed and supported by the Free Software Foundation. The overview for the GRUB Manual, accessible at www.gnu.org, describes GRUB: Briefly, a boot loader is the first software program that runs when a computer starts. It is responsible for loading and transfer- ring control to an operating system kernel software (such as Linux or GNU Mach). The kernel, in turn, initializes the rest of the operating system (for example, a GNU [Ed. note: or Solaris] system). GNU GRUB is a very powerful boot loader that can load a wide variety of free, as well as proprietary, operating systems, by means of chain-loading. GRUB is designed to address the complexity of booting a personal computer; both the program and this manual are tightly bound to that computer platform, although porting to other platforms may be addressed in the future. [Ed. note: Sun has ported GRUB to the Solaris operating system.] One of the important features in GRUB is flexibility; GRUB understands filesystems and kernel executable formats, so you can load an arbitrary operating system the way you like, without recording the physical position of your kernel on the disk. Thus you can load the kernel just by specifying its file name and the drive and partition where the kernel resides. Among Solaris machines, GRUB is supported on platforms. The GRUB software that is shipped with Solaris adds two utilities not present in the open-source distribution: bootadm(1M) Enables you to manage the boot archive and make changes to the GRUB menu. installgrub(1M) Loads the boot program from disk. Both of these utilities are described in Solaris man pages. Beyond these two Solaris-specific utilities, the GRUB software is described in the GRUB manual, a PDF version of which is available from the Sun web site. Available in the same location is the grub(8) open-source man page. This man page describes the GRUB shell. boot(1M), bootadm(1M), installgrub(1M) http://www.gnu.org/software/grub 21 Apr 2005 grub(5)