Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris UNIX File removal without conformation Post 302185739 by reborg on Tuesday 15th of April 2008 06:51:15 PM
Old 04-15-2008
Code:
\rf -rf dir

Code:
unalias rm
rm -rf dir

Code:
/usr/bin/rm -rf dir

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of Duplicate Entries from the file

I have a file which consists of 1000 entries. Out of 1000 entries i have 500 Duplicate Entires. I want to remove the first Duplicate Entry (i,e entire Line) in the File. The example of the File is shown below: 8244100010143276|MARISOL CARO||MORALES|HSD768|CARR 430 KM 1.7 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi_rn
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of carriage returns from a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a file which is having some carriage return in one of the field for which single line is coming in multiple lines. I want to combine all those multiple lines of that field into one line. Eg: Input: Id, Name, Location, Comments, Dept 2, John, US, I am from US. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahish20
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of file extension question

All, I know that this will remove a file extension from a file name, but reading on the documentation on how it works confuses me. ${filename%.*}Can anyone explain what exactly is going on here? Filename is the pattern and % says to cut anything that starts with .? Also, can I run this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removal of blank spaces in a file

Hello.. I have a text file. I want to remove all the blank spaces(except tab) from the file.. I tried using sed command as shown below sed 's/ //g' file1 But the problem with the above command is that it also eliminates 'tab' which is between the columns.. For example if the contents... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removal of numericals in a file

I have a file from which I want to eliminate the numerical values.. The contents of the file are as shown below.. 1 a1,b,2 1,b,c 2 a2,4,b a,b,2 From the above file I want eliminate only the numberical values(except the line numbers which are at the beginning).. The file... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of HTML ASCII Codes from file

Hi all, I have a file with extended ASCII codes in the description which needs to be removed. List of extended ascii codes "Œ", "œ", "Š", "š", "Ÿ", "ƒ", "-", "-", "‘", "'", "‚", "“", "”", "„","†", "‡", "•", "...", "‰", "€", "™" Sample data: Test Details-HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: btt3165
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Removal of zip file permanently

Hi Everyone, I see some peculier thing happening on my server. I have one zipped file created long back as a normal user and trying to remove it now. When i tried to remove as that particular user, i was not able to do that. So i logged in as a root user and removed that successfully. But it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sricharan21
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String removal from file

Dear all From below mention input file I needed op file as show below. I am using below code but not worked. I/p file BSCBCH1 EXAL-1-4 WO* SMPS MAINS FAIL BSCBCH1 EXAL-1-5 WO* SMPS RECTIFIER FAIL BSCBCH1 EXAL-1-6 WO* SMPS MAJOR ALARM BSCBCH2 EXAL-1-10 WO* ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & send a mail conformation for any error

ENVIROMENT Linux: RHEL 6.4 Log Path: /usr/iplanet/servers/https-company/logs Log Format: user.log.03-15-2015 I have log4j log rotation enabled rotating files on a daily basis. The rotated logs are NOT compressed & are taking up too much space. I need a script that will run daily that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_job_admin
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing string from CSV file by provide removal string from other file

What I need is to remove the text from Location_file.txt from each line matching all entries from Remove_location.txt Location_file.txt FlowPrePaid, h3nmg1cm2,Jamaica_MTAImageFileFlowPrePaid,h0nmg1cm1, Flow_BeatTest,FlowRockTest FlowNewTest,FlowNewTest,h0nmg1cm1 PartiallySubscribed,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
3 Replies
whereis(1)						      General Commands Manual							whereis(1)

Name
       whereis - locate source, binary, and or manual for program

Syntax
       whereis [-sbm] [-u] [-SBM dir... -f] name...

Description
       The command locates source/binary and manuals sections for specified files.  The supplied names are first stripped of leading pathname com-
       ponents and any (single) trailing extension of the form ``.ext'', for example,``.c''.  Prefixes of ``s.'' resulting from use of source code
       control are also dealt with.  The command then attempts to locate the desired program in a list of standard places.

Options
       -S dir
	  Search for source files in specified directory.

-B dir
	  Search for binary files in given directory.

-M dir
	  Search for manual section files in given directory.

-b Searches only for binary files.

-f Terminates last directory list created from use of -S, -B or -M flags and signals the start of file names.

-m Searches only for manual section files.

-s Searches only for source files.

-u Searches for files that do not have one of binary, source or manual section files.  A file is said to be unusual if it does not have one
	  entry of each requested type.  Thus ``whereis -m -u *'' asks for those files in the current directory which have no documentation.

Examples
       The following finds all the files in which are not documented in with source in
       cd /usr/ucb
       whereis -u -M /usr/man/man1 -S /usr/src/cmd -f *

Restrictions
       Since the program uses to run faster, pathnames given with the -M -S and -B must be full.  That is, they must begin with a ``/''.

Files
       /usr/src/*
       /usr/{doc,man}/*
       /lib, /etc, /usr/{lib,bin,ucb,old,new,local}

whereis(1)