Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting facing problem in starting a process in background using shell script. Post 302185455 by dtomar on Tuesday 15th of April 2008 03:40:56 AM
Old 04-15-2008
but the processes which i m trying to run by shell script doesnt require any input and still that processes are not going into background.

one more thing i want to say is that, these all processes are going into background successfully when i ran that processes at command prompt directly. the problem in coming when i m trying to run that processes through script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include RETURN KEY with Background process "&" in Shell Script

Hello All, I am a newbie in Shell script programming, and maybe you can help me with my query. I need to write a shell script (mntServer.ksh) that will start a background process and also to be able to run another script. The mntServer.ksh script contains: #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racbern
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Process Shell Scripting

I have a following program: echofunc() { filename=$1 echo "reading $filename" while read line do echo $line; sleep 6; done < $filename } split -5 new.dat ls x* > input.dat while read file do echofun $file & done < input.dat (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhieraj
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem starting a process on solaris from other user

Hi Gurus, I have a server that has to users. 1) root 2)net1 there are several processes running on my server one of the process is CMIS_STACK process which is a compiled C code when this process goes missing then i restart this process manually in the following manner ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating background process for my shell

I actually posted this problem on a different forum, but figured this would be a more appropriate place to post it. OK so I've created my own shell, but I can't get the background process function to run properly! What I want to do is to run a process in the background, and also print when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansel13
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem facing command using shell

Dear Brothers! Need your help for the case where I am running one command on prompt and its giving us the correct output, but when i use the same command from shell its directs no output.:wall: the command on command prompt is ls -ltrh * | nawk '{if ($5~ '/$'M'/') print $9}' | grep -v... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jojo123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Shell Script in the cron, background process

Hi, i was looking for an answer for some trouble im having runing a script in the cron, thing is, that when i run it manually it works just fine. But when cron runs it, it just doenst work. I saw a reply on a similar subject, suggesting that the . .profile worked for you, but im kind of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing problem in the sqlldr & shell script

Guys i am facing two problems : (1) when i create the sql loader file the date format i m getting is this 28-DEC-11 12.03.14.107137 AM; for this i m using this script but unable to load the files trailing nullcols ( SERIALNO, AMOUNT, CLASS, MDN, VDATE "to_date(:TIMESTAMP, 'DD-MON-YY... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xal_kaushi
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing problem with Alias created through script.

Hi Guru's, I am creating alias for db instance running on a server through script, am able to create them based on /etc/oratab entries and can use successfully with the below script. #!/bin/bash SCRIPT_PATH=${HOME}/scripts/db/script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky.b5
3 Replies
serialize(1)						      General Commands Manual						      serialize(1)

NAME
serialize - force target process to run serially with other processes SYNOPSIS
command [command_args] pid] DESCRIPTION
The command is used to force the target process to run serially with other processes also marked by this command. The target process can be referred to by pid value, or it can be invoked directly on the command. Once a process has been marked by the process stays marked until process completion unless is reissued on the serialized process with the option. The option causes the pid specified with the option to return to normal timeshare scheduling algorithms. This call is used to improve process throughput, since process throughput usually increases for large processes when they are executed serially instead of allowing each program to run for only a short period of time. By running large processes one at a time, the system makes more efficient use of the CPU as well as system memory, since each process does not end up constantly faulting in its working set, to only have the pages stolen when another process starts running. As long as there is enough memory in the system, processes marked by behave no differently from other processes in the system. However, once memory becomes tight, processes marked by are run one at a time with the highest priority processes being run first. Each process will run for a finite interval of time before another serialized process is allowed to run. Options supports the following options: Indicates the process specified by pid should be returned to timeshare scheduling. Indicates the pid of the target process. If neither option is specified, is invoked on the command line passed in. RETURN VALUE
returns the following value: Successful completion. Invalid pid specification, nonnumeric entry, or pid specification is that of a special system process. Could not execute the specified command. No such process. Must be root or a member of a group having the privilege to execute ERRORS
fails under the following condition and sets (see errno(2)) to the following value: The pid passed in does not exist. EXAMPLES
Use to force a database application to run serially with other processes marked for serialization: Force a currently running process with a pid value of 215 to run serially with other processes marked for serialization: Return a process previously marked for serialization to normal timeshare scheduling. The pid of the target process for this example is WARNINGS
The user has no way of forcing an execution order on serialized processes. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
setprivgrp(1M), getprivgrp(2), serialize(2). serialize(1)