Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running UNIX Commands from C
Top Forums Programming Running UNIX Commands from C Post 302185365 by zainab on Monday 14th of April 2008 11:35:30 PM
Old 04-15-2008
MySQL thank you

I use popen() function and it works ...
Thank you soo much ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running start up commands

Hi all How can I setup my shell so that I run a set of commmands or a script every time I login. I am using kshell. I tried putting a line in ./.bash_profile (does not work) Ex.: I want to use vi as the commandline editor so, I want to run the command: set -o vi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable running commands from vi

Hello, We have a requirement to disable running shell commands via vi using "!". Can anybody please suggest how to disable this option. The requirement arises because we open up a xterm window with a config file in vi mode for the customer to edit. After the customer edits the config... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Umesh_Sharoff
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem running plsql & unix commands in 1 script

Hi, I need help again. When I run this shell script, it only runs the unld_date.sql piece and exits. How can I structure this to run all the way to the end? When I don't have the unld_date.sql piece in here, everything runs fine from the date compare piece all the way to the end. Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siog
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running UNIX commands remotely in Windows box from Unix box – avoid entering password

I am able to run the UNIX commands in a Windows box from a UNIX box through "SSH" functionality. But whenever the SSH connection is established between UNIX and Windows, password for windows box is being asked. Is there a way to avoid asking password whenever the SSH connection is made? Can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: D.kalpana
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[PERL] Running unix commands within Perl Scripts

I understand that in order to run basic unix commands I would normally type at the prompt, I would have to use the following format system(ls -l); or exec(ls -l); But when I actually try to use the command, the script fails to compile and keeps telling me there is an error with this line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: userix
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running unix commands through perl

Hi all, In the directory '/temp/chris' the following files exist: chris.tar, chris.txt What i am trying to do is to assign the 'chris.tar' filename in an argument through perl, in order to do that i use the system command: $file=system("ls /temp/chris/*.tmp), but in the '$file' the exit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running sed commands

Hello I need to run some sed commands but it involves "/" in the substitute or delete, any ideas how I get round the problem. Example: cat file1.txt | sed -e '/</Header>/d' > file2.txt This errors due to the forward slash before the Header text. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running multiple unix commands in a single script

Hi, I would like to write a script with include more than 6 unix commands. my script like below: echo " script started" ls -ld bdf | grep "rama" tail -10 log.txt ... .. ... now, i want to run above unix commands one by one. example: first the ls -ld command will be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running unix commands in a perl script

Executing two unix commads via perl script one after another e.g: make clean bsub -i -q short make have tried using exec but the second command doesnt executes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajroshan
1 Replies

10. Programming

Running Multiple Unix commands in qx

Hi All, Is there anything wrong with below syntax? qx {perldoc -v ModuleName.pm | grep -i Description } BTW, this question is related to Perl. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jal_capri
3 Replies
POPEN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  POPEN(3)

NAME
popen, pclose -- process I/O LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> FILE * popen(const char *command, const char *type); int pclose(FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
The popen() function ``opens'' a process by creating an IPC connection, forking, and invoking the shell. Historically, popen was implemented with a unidirectional pipe; hence many implementations of popen only allow the type argument to specify reading or writing, not both. Since popen is now implemented using sockets, the type may request a bidirectional data flow. The type argument is a pointer to a null-terminated string which must be 'r' for reading, 'w' for writing, or 'r+' for reading and writing. In addition if the character 'e' is present in the type string, the file descriptor used internally is set to be closed on exec(3). The command argument is a pointer to a null-terminated string containing a shell command line. This command is passed to /bin/sh using the -c flag; interpretation, if any, is performed by the shell. The return value from popen() is a normal standard I/O stream in all respects save that it must be closed with pclose() rather than fclose(). Writing to such a stream writes to the standard input of the command; the command's standard output is the same as that of the process that called popen(), unless this is altered by the command itself. Conversely, reading from a ``popened'' stream reads the command's standard output, and the command's standard input is the same as that of the process that called popen(). Note that output popen() streams are fully buffered by default. The pclose() function waits for the associated process to terminate and returns the exit status of the command as returned by wait4(). RETURN VALUES
The popen() function returns NULL if the fork(2), pipe(2), or socketpair(2) calls fail, or if it cannot allocate memory. The pclose() function returns -1 if stream is not associated with a ``popened'' command, if stream has already been ``pclosed'', or if wait4(2) returns an error. ERRORS
The popen() function does not reliably set errno. SEE ALSO
sh(1), fork(2), pipe(2), socketpair(2), wait4(2), fclose(3), fflush(3), fopen(3), shquote(3), stdio(3), system(3) STANDARDS
The popen() and pclose() functions conform to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A popen() and a pclose() function appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
Since the standard input of a command opened for reading shares its seek offset with the process that called popen(), if the original process has done a buffered read, the command's input position may not be as expected. Similarly, the output from a command opened for writing may become intermingled with that of the original process. The latter can be avoided by calling fflush(3) before popen(). Failure to execute the shell is indistinguishable from the shell's failure to execute command, or an immediate exit of the command. The only hint is an exit status of 127. The popen() argument always calls sh(1), never calls csh(1). BSD
June 24, 2011 BSD