Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Which Notebook to buy
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Which Notebook to buy Post 302184829 by zazzybob on Sunday 13th of April 2008 07:42:16 AM
Old 04-13-2008
I use an old PowerBook G4 and find that a UNIX based OS makes System Administration very efficient. And Mac OS X is pretty Smilie Seriously though, it performs well for a PPC and my experience with the dual-core Intel machines (I have a Mac Mini) has proved them to be more than capable of running VMware Fusion for virtualisation.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Linux Notebook for $500

Balance 14.1" Notebook Computer with CD-ROM Drive (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to find a notebook or desktop with....

a preloaded version of linux/unix on it for a realtively low price. I am looking to spend anywhere from Free-$800. I want to make sure its upgradeable so after i learn linux/unix/scripting and one of the programming languages i can update things and make them better. Assembly is not a problem i can... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Notebook UNIX systems

Hy folks, I was wondering what is best unix system for notebook (laptop) computers. Older or newer, faster or slower? What is you opinion and experiance with unix on notebook?v (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: R@LE
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which linux for older notebook PC?

Hey forum, Although I've been involved with IT for decades, as an old person I'm just getting my feet wet with Linux. I have an older IBM ThinkPad - 128MB, 20GB drive - and I want to delve into Linux on this machine. What distribution would you reccomend for this older machine? It'll be used... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrkrieger
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Choosing a distribution for old 128MB Notebook

Well, the title says most of it - I have an old IBM Thinkpad 600X with 128MB ram and want to use it mostly as a netbook - web browsing, lite text editing and the like. I've tried a few distributions, but they all seem to choke on my limited memory. Before I download and burn another bunch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkrieger
2 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

compaq presario v3000 Notebook PC not booting

Hi all, Laptop compaq presario v3000 is not booting! It just gives 3 beeps and there is no display. All the green LEDs are glowing! I have "performed a hard reset" as per HP site Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot Compaq Presario V3115AU... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
7 Replies

7. Programming

Ipython notebook and python virtualenv, permission

Hello, I was playing with ipython-notebook and python virtualenv. I met a "permission denied Error" when I tried to run ipython notebook. ~/test $ ipython Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/bin/ipython", line 5, in <module> from pkg_resources import load_entry_point ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yifangt
1 Replies

8. Hardware

HP notebook PC wifi card whitelist problem

I have hp dv6 and dv7 notebook pcs on which I want to upgrade the wifi cards but when I install the new cards and boot them, the they won't even boot to the bios and they both give me the same error: "104-Unsupported wireless network device detected. System Halted. Remove device and restart." When... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milhan
1 Replies
SW_VERS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						SW_VERS(1)

NAME
sw_vers -- print Mac OS X operating system version information SYNOPSIS
sw_vers sw_vers -productName sw_vers -productVersion sw_vers -buildVersion DESCRIPTION
sw_vers prints version information about the Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server operating system running on the local machine. When executed with no options sw_vers prints a short list of version properties: % sw_vers ProductName: Mac OS X ProductVersion: 10.3 BuildVersion: 7A100 The ProductName property provides the name of the operating system release (typically either "Mac OS X" or "Mac OS X Server"). The ProductVersion property defines the version of the operating system release (for example, "10.2.4" or "10.3"). The BuildVersion property provides the specific revision of the operating system as generated by the Mac OS X build system. OPTIONS
The output of sw_vers can be refined by the following options. -productName Print just the value of the ProductName property. -productVersion Print just the value of the ProductVersion property. -buildVersion Print just the value of the BuildVersion property. EXAMPLES
% sw_vers -productName Mac OS X % sw_vers -productVersion 10.3 % sw_vers -buildVersion 7A100 FILES
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist Mac OS X March 10, 2003 Mac OS X