Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: for loop syntax trouble
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting for loop syntax trouble Post 302184674 by visitorQ on Saturday 12th of April 2008 12:13:13 PM
Old 04-12-2008
thank you so much for the quick reply buddy! i ended up doing this which worked just fine:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

for i in `seq 1 ${1}`
do
    echo "Welcome ${i} times";
done

but your code seems to be cleaner and make more sense, so i'll adopt that method instead.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start more than one database - trouble with for loop

I have seen this done before - and maybe there is a better way too. I want to be abe to use a for loop (or other better method) to loop through the database instance names that are part of the script - not an external file where a read might be ok. Here is what I have and I know won't work -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave-mentor
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop Trouble

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my code here? I'm experiencing weird behavior... I am using 'j' to go down a list filenames saved in a .txt file and prompting the user whether or not she would like to delete each one. This works all well and fine the first run through, but then instead of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSymphony
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with a file path as awk output in for loop

When I run the following command in the shell it works fine. It prints a city name and then a path for a file. ~$ for i in `awk -F':' '{print $0}' /home/knoppix/Desktop/data/subs | grep -m 1 $ city | sed "s/:/ /"` >do >echo $i >done Now, when I place it in this shell script (sh) it prints... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: afroCluster
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop syntax

hi, I have to use for loop in my script. The below code is providing an output, 1,2,3,4,5..n. But i need to display the values one by one eg: it has to display the first value then exit from the loop and display the second value then exit till n(last value). for i in 1,2,3,4,5..n do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreelu
2 Replies

5. Programming

trouble with loop counting

HI there, I am trying to count manually what this code does but I am stuck and I don't learly see the result. The code works and it compiles and runs but I just don't follow the value of var. #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<sys/types.h> #include<unistd.h> #include<wait.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluetxxth
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

for-loop syntax

%%%%% (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble displaying parameters passed into a for loop

#!/bin/bash function check_num_args() { if ; then echo "Please provide a file name" else treat_as_file $* fi } function treat_as_file() { numFiles=$# for((i=1;i<=$numFiles;i++));do echo $i ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikilahooch
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble understand and using for loop

Good evening all I have what might be a simple problem to solve but I do not know how to solve it myself. I am writing a bash script and my code looks something like this: mp3=`ls | grep \.mp3` for f in $mp3 do echo $f done Basically what I want to do is look through the current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistsong1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Considerable trouble with for loop in combination with awk

I have the text file where each line has the format: chr10 101418889 101418904 0.816327 Right now the interval between column 2 and 3 is 15. I only want the two consecutive positions starting at position 1, write it to a file, then move up one position write to file etc. So that: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfern
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What does xx mean in this while loop syntax?

I have a shell script which has this while loop line "while read tblName xx; do..." I understand how while loop works but don't know what does this xx stands for? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: later_troy
1 Replies
EVAL(3) 								 1								   EVAL(3)

eval - Evaluate a string as PHP code

SYNOPSIS
mixed eval (string $code) DESCRIPTION
Evaluates the given $code as PHP. Caution The eval(3) language construct is very dangerous because it allows execution of arbitrary PHP code. Its use thus is discouraged. If you have carefully verified that there is no other option than to use this construct, pay special attention not to pass any user provided data into it without properly validating it beforehand. PARAMETERS
o $code - Valid PHP code to be evaluated. The code mustn't be wrapped in opening and closing PHP tags, i.e. 'echo "Hi!";' must be passed instead of '<? echo "Hi!"; >'. It is still possible to leave and reenter PHP mode though using the appropriate PHP tags, e.g. 'echo "In PHP mode!"; ?>In HTML mode!<? echo "Back in PHP mode!";'. Apart from that the passed code must be valid PHP. This includes that all statements must be properly terminated using a semicolon. 'echo "Hi!"' for example will cause a parse error, whereas 'echo "Hi!";' will work. A return statement will immediately terminate the evaluation of the code. The code will be exe- cuted in the scope of the code calling eval(3). Thus any variables defined or changed in the eval(3) call will remain visible after it terminates. RETURN VALUES
eval(3) returns NULL unless return is called in the evaluated code, in which case the value passed to return is returned. If there is a parse error in the evaluated code, eval(3) returns FALSE and execution of the following code continues normally. It is not possible to catch a parse error in eval(3) using set_error_handler(3). EXAMPLES
Example #1 eval(3) example - simple text merge <?php $string = 'cup'; $name = 'coffee'; $str = 'This is a $string with my $name in it.'; echo $str. " "; eval("$str = "$str";"); echo $str. " "; ?> The above example will output: This is a $string with my $name in it. This is a cup with my coffee in it. NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. Tip As with anything that outputs its result directly to the browser, the output-control functions can be used to capture the output of this function, and save it in a string (for example). Note In case of a fatal error in the evaluated code, the whole script exits. SEE ALSO
call_user_func(3). PHP Documentation Group EVAL(3)