Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search, replace string in file1 with string from (lookup table) file2? Post 302184488 by gstuart on Friday 11th of April 2008 02:32:28 PM
Old 04-11-2008
This is absolutely wonderful! ... :-)

Here is my understanding of Franklin52's code:

Unix Manuals - AWK Reference

# == is “is equal”

tolower(string): Return the string with all upper case characters replaced with their lower case equivalents.

toupper(string): Return the string with all lower case characters replaced with their upper case equivalents.

FNR: Record number in input file.

NR: Number of records processed.

Thus, the above script translates (? - please correct me if I am mistaken) as

awk'
FNR==NR{a[tolower($1)]=$2;next}

while the record number (line) equals the total number of records (is true), do all of the following:
get $1 (the common gene name - converted to LOWERcase - required since the corresponding field in File_1 is lowercase; otherwise, it will fail to “match” - linux is case-sensitive) in the lookup file (File_2), set (change it) to the (already uppercase) systematic gene name ($2) in the same lookup table, then read the next record number (line);

tolower($1) in a{print "1 " a[tolower($1)] " tf " toupper($2)}

now, for each $1 in File_2 (now set to uppercase $2, from the lookup table), in the second file (File_1, the one to be converted), print
“1”, $2 from File_2; “tf”, $2 from File_1 (returned as uppercase, to convert the trailing lowercase c, w, -a, etc.)

' "File_2" "File_1"

File_1 = file to be processed (converted)
File_2 = “lookup file” ("common_to_systematic.tab)

?!

This works brilliantly!! Thank you so much, Franklin52!!

Have a super weekend! ... Greg :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string replacement using a lookup table

Dear all thanks for helping in advance.. Know this should be fairly simple but I failed in searching for an answer. I have a file (replacement table) containing two columns, e.g.: ACICJ ACIDIPHILIUM ACIF2 ACIDITHIOBACILLUS ACIF5 ACIDITHIOBACILLUS ACIC5 ACIDOBACTERIUM ACIC1 ACIDOTHERMUS... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: roussine
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & replace fields from file1 to file2

hi, I have two xml files with the name source.xml and tobe_replaced.xml. Sample data: source.xml contains: <?xml version="1.0"?> <product description="prod1" product_info="some/info"> <product description="prod2" product_info="xyz/allinfo"> <product description="abc/partialinfo"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find string from file1 in file2

hi; i am looking for simple search script that find string from file1 in file 2 file 1 contain a loot of string like: 204080111111111 204080222222222 204080333333333 in each row and i would like to take the first row for example 204080111111111 from file1 and find it in file2 when it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpinto
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search from file1 and replace into file2

I have 2 files: file1.txt: 1|15|XXXXXX||9630716||0096000||30/04/2012|E|O|X||||20120525135617-30.04.2012|PAT66OLM|STA||||00001|STA_0096000_YYYPPPXTMEX00_20120525135617_02_P.pdf|... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pparthiv
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retrieve a number or string from file1 and redirect into file2 in perl script?

hello forum members, I am siva ,As i am new to perl scripting i looking help from forum members. i need a sample program are command for pattern matching. I have file name infile1 which some data, I need to search the particular number are string in the file which repeats n number of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: workforsiva
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if matching strings in file1 and file2, add column from file1 to file2

I have very limited coding skills but I'm wondering if someone could help me with this. There are many threads about matching strings in two files, but I have no idea how to add a column from one file to another based on a matching string. I'm looking to match column1 in file1 to the number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match part of string in file2 based on column in file1

I have a file containing texts and indexes. I need the text between (and including ) INDEX and number "1" alone in line. I have managed this: awk '/INDEX/,/1$/{if (!/1$/)print}' file1.txt It works for all indexes. And then I have second file with years and indexes per year, one per line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoebus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search field2 in file2 using range of fields file1 and using match to another field in file1

I am trying to use awk to find all the $2 values in file2 which is ~30MB and tab-delimited, that are between $2 and $3 in file1 which is ~2GB and tab-delimited. I have just found out that I need to use $1 and $2 and $3 from file1 and $1 and $2of file2 must match $1 of file1 and be in the range... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lookup value of file1 in file2 using a key

Trying to use awk to match each line in file1 with line in file2 using $1 and $2 and print. File2 is tab-delimeted as is the output and if there is no match then it is skipped. The awk below executes but the output is empty. I think file1 is being split on the : and being saved in array c which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search partial string in a file and replace the string - UNIX

I have the below string which i need to compare with a file and replace this string in the file which matches closely. Can anyone help me on this. string(Scenario 1)- user::r--,user::ourfrd:r-- String(Scenario 2)- user::r-- File **** # file: /local/Desktop/myfile # owner: me # group:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
6 Replies
CTYPE(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  CTYPE(3)

NAME
isalpha, isupper, islower, isdigit, isxdigit, isalnum, isspace, ispunct, isprint, isgraph, iscntrl, isascii, toupper, tolower, toascii - character classification macros SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> isalpha(c) . . . DESCRIPTION
These macros classify ASCII-coded integer values by table lookup. Each is a predicate returning nonzero for true, zero for false. Isascii and toascii are defined on all integer values; the rest are defined only where isascii is true and on the single non-ASCII value EOF (see stdio(3S)). isalpha c is a letter isupper c is an upper case letter islower c is a lower case letter isdigit c is a digit isxdigit c is a hex digit isalnum c is an alphanumeric character isspace c is a space, tab, carriage return, newline, vertical tab, or formfeed ispunct c is a punctuation character (neither control nor alphanumeric) isprint c is a printing character, code 040(8) (space) through 0176 (tilde) isgraph c is a printing character, similar to isprint except false for space. iscntrl c is a delete character(0177) or ordinary control character (less than 040). isascii c is an ASCII character, code less than 0200 tolower c is converted to lower case. Return value is undefined if not isupper(c). toupper c is converted to upper case. Return value is undefined if not islower(c). toascii c is converted to be a valid ascii character. SEE ALSO
ascii(7) 7th Edition May 12, 1986 CTYPE(3)