Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Locking issue
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Locking issue Post 302184407 by era on Friday 11th of April 2008 11:50:42 AM
Old 04-11-2008
Just to point out the obvious, you mean "rm -f $dir/lock" at the end.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Locking

Hi, Does anyone know what happens when two processes are simultaneously trying to write to a single file in UNIX (AIX)? Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penfold
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

locking problem

Hi... after unlock my computer from lock, all telnet windows which i opened previously are closing automaticaly... i hope u understand....plz give solution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatramana
1 Replies

3. Linux

Locking around kmem_cache_destroy

Hi There, I want to make sure that kmem_cache_alloc is not called concurrently with kmem_cache_destroy on module exit and I want be able to use GFP_KERNEL for the kmem_cache_alloc calls. Would a read/write lock be good fro this purpose or is there another method I should be using? Regards,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brendan Kennedy
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Keyboard keeps locking up

First off, let me start by saying that I am a total rookie when it comes to Unix so I will do my best to explain the situation. BACKGROUND:We are running AIX and using a third party Inventory Management software called Acclaim. My main interface terminal is just a "dummy" terminal hooked up to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sstaszak11
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

locking mechanism

I have a shell script. How can use some kind of locking mechanism to ensure that the script is not being executed by two people at the same time? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Locking a script

Hello everyone Im sure this has been asked lots of times before, but after endless searching i cant find what i need. How can i make a bash script unreadable to all, including root, but still executable, im not worried about editing it again etc... , is there a way to convert it or something, i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave123
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File locking

i am working on a device runnin on linux....i have configured the samba server in the device such that my windows PC can access a shared folder in the device. Also in the device i am runnin some programs which access the files in this shared folder. What i want to know is whether there is any way i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhinx
1 Replies

8. Programming

Locking issue with serial port

Hi, In my application,I need to monitor the devices connected through serial port in solaris sparc 9 OS.I used c and java code for it and I am able to do the same but the problem comes when I restart the system and the open my application and try to monitor it.but I m unable to monitor the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
2 Replies

9. Linux

filesystem locking issue on linux

hi, we are getting filesystem locking issue very frequently. we are using linux rhel 5.5. our filesystem type is gfs2 where we are facing locking issue and unix admin team reboots server to over come with this issue. suddenly we used to face slowness on server and server gets hung. after that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Locking Down SFTP

Hi List, I'm sure this has been done before and there must be several ways to skin the cat on this topic. What I am trying to achieve is set up user accounts for use with SFTP based on the standard OpenSSH protocol. And I want to be able to lock them down so that they cannot browse outside of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
2 Replies
LOCKS(3)						   libbash locks Library Manual 						  LOCKS(3)

NAME
locks -- libbash library that implements locking (directory based). This library is not throughoutly tested - use with caution! SYNOPSIS
dirInitLock <object> [<spin>] dirTryLock <object> dirLock <object> dirUnlock <object> dirDestroyLock <object> DESCRIPTION
General locks is a collection of functions that implement locking (mutex like) in bash scripting language. The whole idea is based on the fact that directory creation/removal is an atomic process. The creation of this library was inspired by studying CVS locks management. Same lock object can by used by several processes to serialize access to some shared resource. (Well, yeah, this what locks were invented for...) To actually do this, processes just need to access lock object by the same name. Functions list: dirInitLock Initialize a lock object for your proccess dirTryLock Try to lock the lock object - give up if its already locked dirLock Lock the lock object - will block until object is unlocked dirUnlock Unlock the lock object dirDestroyLock Destroy the lock object - free resources Detailed interface description follows. FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
dirInitLock <object> [<spin>] Initialize a lock object for your process. Only after a lock is initialized, your proccess will be able to use it. Notice: This action does not lock the object. The lock can be set on two types of objects. The first is an existing directory. In this case, Aq dir must be a path (relative or full). The path must contain a '/'. The second is an abstract object used as a lock. In this case, the name of the lock will not contain any '/'. This can be used to create locks without creating real directories for them. Notice: Do not call your lock object '.lock'. Parameters: <object> The name of the lock object (either existing directory or abstract name) <spin> The time (in seconds) that the funtion dirLock will wait between two runs of dirTryLock. This parameter is optional, and its value gen- erally should be less then 1. If ommited, a default value (0.01) is set. Return Value: One of the following: 0 The action finished successfully. 1 The action failed. You do not have permissions to preform it. 3 The directory path could not be resolved. Possibly parameter does contain '/', but refers to directory that does not exist. dirTryLock <object> Try to lock the lock object. The function always returns immediately. Parameters: <object> The object that the lock is set on. Return Value: One of the following: 0 The action finished successfully. 1 The action failed. The object is already locked. 2 The action failed. Your proccess did not initialize a lock for the object. 3 The directory path could not be resolved. dirLock <object> Lock given lock object. If the object is already locked - the function will block untill the object is unlocked. After each try (dirTry- Lock) the function will sleep for spin seconds (spin is defined using dirInitLock ). Parameters: <object> The directory that the lock is set on. Return Value: One of the following: 0 The action finished successfully. 2 The action failed. Your proccess did not initialize a lock for the directory. 3 The directory path could not be resolved. dirUnlock <dir> Unlock the lock object. Parameters: <object> The object that the lock is set on. Return Value: One of the following: 0 The action finished successfully. 2 The action failed. Your proccess did not initialize the lock. 3 The directory path could not be resolved. dirDestroyLock <object> Destroys the lock object. After this action the proccess will no longer be able to use the lock object. To use the object after this action is done, one must initialize the lock, using dirInitLock. Parameters: <object> The directory that the lock is set on. Return Value: One of the following: 0 The action finished successfully. 1 The action failed. The directory is locked by your own proccess. Unlock it first. 2 The action failed. Your proccess did not initialize the lock. 3 The directory path could not be resolved. EXAMPLES
Creating an abstract lock named mylock, with 0.1 second spintime: $ dirInitLock mylock 0.1 # $?=0 Locking it: $ dirLock mylock # $?=0 Trying once to lock it again: $ dirTryLock mylock # $?=1 Trying to lock it again: $ dirLock mylock # Will wait forever Unlocking: $ dirUnlock mylock # $?=0 Destroying the lock: $ dirDestroyLock mylock # $?=0 Trying to lock again: $ dirLock mylock # $?=2 Creating a lock on the directory ./mydir, with default spin time: $ dirInitLock ./mydir # $?=0 AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux