Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX UPS options other than Powertrust for D380 Post 302184377 by vbe on Friday 11th of April 2008 09:36:15 AM
Old 04-11-2008
In the mid 90s I had (and still have at home) a HP 715 workstation.
after a heavy corruption due to power shortage I had a backups PSU to connect to (just for the AC) but no one would pay for more...
So I tried to figure out a workaround, after working out I had 10 minutes to shutdown the station, I came up writing a script for the cron which pinged my pc every 4 minutes and in case of a failure would do a shutdown... Not as elegant as a real software and port connection, but better than nothing...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie UPS help

I am a newbie and I just got a Sun Ultra 5, and want an UPS. I have been looking at the different models, but I do not know which brand has software that is compatable with Solaris 2.8 for automatic shutdown. I have looked at the power setup options in Solaris, but there doesn't seem to be any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeremiebarber
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UPS for HP-9000

Hello Everyone I run 4 HP 9000 servers with HP-UX 11.0 on all 4, with an Infomix Database. About 6 months ago one system starting acting real weird it will display the message that it lost power (which did not) and it would shutdown, Then roughly 30 seconds later it would then say power has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackieRyan26
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Suns and UPS tripplite

I'm having some trouble getting my ups to work on my Sun ultra enterprise servers. I have it hooked to serial port b and i have the tripplite power alert software installed and running, but it doesn't see the connection, is there something else i'm supposed to do to make it realize it is hooked to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
2 Replies

4. Solaris

UPS Installation

Dear All, I have installed package ups reillo in solaris but i could not use setup normaly, i could not connection with ttya , i need connect with ups for set system shutdown and another configuration. please i need help for solution thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: athurbayunata
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

any goof ups like this?

This thread reminded me of a couple of screwups made by an operator in my old job. The ops used to run OS backups through a script which asked for the path to the tape (/dev/rmt/whatnot). We (the sysadmins) would give these to the ops if a new server was added or the h/w path changed. One Sunday... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

[Solved] D380/2 hard drive

Hello everybody, I've received yesterday a very old HP server: HP9000, A3579A, D380/2 with two 180 MHz PA-RISC CPUs, 256 MB RAM. Actual firmware is 38.40. But no hard drives. I'm looking for 18 or 36 GB HD references. Is 11i v3 HP-UX working on it? Or, what is the latest version? Is 256 MB... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Citroen
4 Replies

7. Hardware

CyberPower UPS

Is anyone here using this brand, and if so, how satisfied are you with its 'PowerPanel for Linux' software? Any problems? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varsel
0 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

The green pop-ups...

Admins... I just lerve the pop-ups that appear whilst replying to someones post. It reminds me of "Paperclip" from my MS Windows days... ;oDD Love it, as it makes me smile, telling me I am creating a thread ATM... ;o) Neat little addition/feature guys... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies
mt(1)								   User Commands							     mt(1)

NAME
mt - magnetic tape control SYNOPSIS
mt [-f tapename] command... [count] DESCRIPTION
The mt utility sends commands to a magnetic tape drive. If -f tapename is not specified, the environment variable TAPE is used. If TAPE does not exist, mt uses the device /dev/rmt/0n. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -f tapename Specifies the raw tape device. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: count The number of times that the requested operation is to be performed. By default, mt performs command once. Multiple opera- tions of command may be performed by specifying count. command Available commands that can be sent to a magnetic tape drive. Only as many characters as are required to uniquely identify a command need be specified. eof Writes count EOF marks at the current position on the tape. weof fsf Forward spaces over count EOF marks. The tape is positioned on the first block of the file. fsr Forward spaces count records. bsf Back spaces over count EOF marks. The tape is positioned on the beginning-of-tape side of the EOF mark. bsr Back spaces count records. nbsf Back spaces count files. The tape is positioned on the first block of the file. This is equivalent to count+1 bsf's followed by one fsf. asf Specifies absolute space to count file number. This is equivalent to a rewind followed by a fsf count. If count is specified with any of the following commands, the count is ignored and the command is performed only once. eom Spaces to the end of recorded media on the tape. This is useful for appending files onto previously written tapes. rewind Rewinds the tape. offline Rewinds the tape and, if appropriate, takes the drive unit off-line by unloading the tape. rewoffl status Prints status information about the tape unit. retension Rewinds the cartridge tape completely, then winds it forward to the end of the reel and back to beginning- of-tape to smooth out tape tension. reserve Allows the tape drive to remain reserved after closing the device. The drive must then be explicitly released. release Re-establishes the default behavior of releasing at close. forcereserve Breaks the reservation of the tape drive held by another host and then reserves the tape drive. This com- mand can be executed only with super-user privileges. erase Erases the entire tape. Caution: Some tape drives have option settings where only portions of the tape may be erased. Be sure to select the correct setting to erase the whole tape. Erasing a tape may take a long time depending on the device and/or tape. Refer to the device specific manual for time details. config Reads the drives current configuration from the driver and displays it in st.conf format. See st(7D) for definition of fields and there meanings. EXIT STATUS
0 All operations were successful. 1 Command was unrecognized or mt was unable to open the specified tape drive. 2 An operation failed. FILES
/dev/rmt/* magnetic tape interface ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
tar(1), tcopy(1), ar.h(3HEAD), environ(4), attributes(5), mtio( 7I), st(7D) BUGS
Not all devices support all options. Some options are hardware-dependent. Refer to the corresponding device manual page. mt is architecture sensitive. Heterogeneous operation (that is, SPARC to x86 or the reverse) is not supported. SunOS 5.10 1 Sep 2004 mt(1)