Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to automate check outs from version control? Post 302184228 by era on Friday 11th of April 2008 02:39:11 AM
Old 04-11-2008
You certainly can use RCS locally if Source Depot will allow that. You don't even have to have the ,v files in the same directory or a subdirectory, although I'm not sure this is documented anywhere -- I saw a colleague use that and vaguely recall having read about it somewhere, but I could not find it in the documentation when I wanted to read about it.

(This is from memory, I don't have RCS here.)

Code:
co file /path/to/file,v

Similarly for ci, rlog, etc.

If the conflicts are complex, you still end up with a mess. I hear Mercurial (or was it Monotone?) is supposed to bring some relief to resolving conflicts. Also, have you tried xxdiff, emerge (if you use Emacs) or some other dedicated diff merge tool?

Of course, according to theory, you should talk to your colleagues so you can avoid conflicts, not just struggle with a merge tool in your cubicle.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Version Control

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post my question on Version Control. Anyway, here it is! I use CVS for source code maintainence in my Solaris box. Is there any command where I can find out in CVS, if any check-in/check-out was done in the last 24 hours? I need a listing of all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you automate an hourly file check?

Hi, New to the forum, Great site, I can learn a lot from here!! :cool: I would like to know how to automate a command that checks the Sybase database's are "alive" on an hourly basis, and mails outlook if they are not (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mals
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Maintaining different version Control account

How can I maintain different version control account(any common unix based version control like CVS,RCS,SCCS..) from a single UNIX Login Account. Many programmers share a common UNIX user/login account.How do they maintain separate Version Control Account. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnbach
1 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Automate restart Grid control

Hi all, I'm trying to write a batch program to automate restart of grid control. oraclehomes\db10g\bin\lsnrctl status >> %filename% oraclehomes\oms10g\bin\emctl status oms >> %filename% (This is just for testing.) However, i cannot seem to let both of the line to execute as the batch... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Version Control Through the Shell Script

Version Control Through the Shell Script Hi Guys, Apologize for the big request, please take some time and read it completely... This is Very important for me, and ur help is Very much Appriciated. I want to maintain the Version control to all my scripts running in Production server, I am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anji
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple version control script for text files

HI guys, Could you help me writing a simple version control script for a text files. the format could be ./version_control <file(s)> (I want it to be able to work with more than 1 file at the same time) commands are add and get, add means you add new file(s) to the archive, get means you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3270226
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a File for Version Control

Hi , I have to create a file with 3 columns A,B,C. I have to read the column A,B values from a text pad. Where as Column a contains approximately 10 values and column B has 1 value which is constant. Column C is a version control column ,initially the value would be 1. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Inform123
1 Replies

8. Programming

Version control for audit

Hi.I am running some scripts from a "scripts" directory for my job (I am working in Financial industry).For compliance purposes I need to use a "release" directory when running them using some sort of version control(CVS,SVN or GIT) in case the program is audited.Basically I have to maintain a dev... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolleikid
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SunOS - version upgrade - Control Characters

Hi, We have a scenario of OS upgrade and in a simialr upgrade last time, we noticed a few stray bytes appearing and it resulted in application programs failing..... Could you please share your expertise in removing such control characters in input/output files, to keep the ball rolling in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
1 Replies
MERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MERGE(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
merge [ options ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
merge incorporates all changes that lead from file2 to file3 into file1. The result ordinarily goes into file1. merge is useful for com- bining separate changes to an original. Suppose file2 is the original, and both file1 and file3 are modifications of file2. Then merge combines both changes. A conflict occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in a common segment of lines. If a conflict is found, merge normally outputs a warning and brackets the conflict with <<<<<<< and >>>>>>> lines. A typical conflict will look like this: <<<<<<< file A lines in file A ======= lines in file B >>>>>>> file B If there are conflicts, the user should edit the result and delete one of the alternatives. OPTIONS
-A Output conflicts using the -A style of diff3(1), if supported by diff3. This merges all changes leading from file2 to file3 into file1, and generates the most verbose output. -E, -e These options specify conflict styles that generate less information than -A. See diff3(1) for details. The default is -E. With -e, merge does not warn about conflicts. -L label This option may be given up to three times, and specifies labels to be used in place of the corresponding file names in conflict reports. That is, merge -L x -L y -L z a b c generates output that looks like it came from files x, y and z instead of from files a, b and c. -p Send results to standard output instead of overwriting file1. -q Quiet; do not warn about conflicts. -V Print RCS's version number. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no conflicts, 1 for some conflicts, 2 for trouble. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: 5.8.1; Release Date: 2012-06-06. Copyright (C) 2010-2012 Thien-Thi Nguyen. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Paul Eggert. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). BUGS
It normally does not make sense to merge binary files as if they were text, but merge tries to do it anyway. GNU RCS 5.8.1 2012-06-06 MERGE(1)