Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to pin files to /tmp
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to pin files to /tmp Post 302183949 by era on Thursday 10th of April 2008 07:22:21 AM
Old 04-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by era
You could add a df /tmp to the script to see that there is enough space for your file. If it's a RAM disk then it's quite possible that you simply run out of space.

Do you have support for compressed file systems? On Linux there's squashfs and a few others but I don't know about Solaris.
Did you investigate those things already?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring /tmp and /var/tmp for suspicous activity

Hello, does anyone have a script that can check the contents of the /tmp directory and for example e-mail the directory content if anything other than session files are present? Maybe there are better ways to monitor suspicous /tmp and /var/tmp activity, if so I'm listening :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

K shell /tmp/sh$$.* files problem

Hi, I am encountring this problem from some time now... ksh creates temp files /tmp/sh$$.* . Sometimes if some of my shell script crashes or I kill it... these temp files remain in the /tmp directory. At some later time when some script gets the same PID it tries to create files in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitkr
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Auto delete files in /tmp dir ???

I have a Solris 9 box my problem is when I restart my box all my files and dirs in /tmp dir will be deleted exept 2 directories I found them since installation phase !!!! How to keep my files at that dir " /tmp " even after restarting ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DarkSoul
1 Replies

4. AIX

set permission to files in /tmp

Trying to setup user to have the ability to delete any files (regardless of owner) in /tmp. I've tried almost everything... the permission on the folder is drwxrwxrwt 10 bin bin, and at one point I give all the possible permission (short of root) I can give to the user, and he still can't delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchiang12
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to save files in /tmp????

Hi all, I would like to know how to save files in /tmp... I was interested in knowing this because when ever i booted into solaris there would already be a few files present in /tmp.however any file that is freshly stored in would be lost on reboot... can anyone answer this pls!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

6. AIX

what is creating the files in /tmp

How do I find what is creating these bunch of zero byte files under /tmp directory every few minutes. AIX - 5.3 TL05 # ls -l /tmp -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 0 Nov 05 16:54 n83n7a -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 0 Nov 05 16:54 ZO3S7a -rw-r--r-- 1 root system ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls or find files under /tmp/*

what is proper syntax to ls all files under /tmp/*, and wc -c ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
4 Replies

8. AIX

Unknown files in /tmp

I have a lot of files with the following names in /etc /tmp/<num>.mktcpip like /tmp/934030.mktcpip Anyone knows which process creates these files? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petervg
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting tmp files of SORT into different directory

Hey Guys, I am facing an annoying scenario, fewer times when I execute the sort command, it throws out on error saying that "No Space on available on /var/tmp/<temp file name>. May be it is set to /var/tmp directory. I was wondering, if I cant redirect the temporary file creation to any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Can all files under /tmp be safely removed

I wanted to know whether all files under /tmp can be safely removed. I guess that /tmp may also have temporary files for applications currently being worked on, so at the most those applications may just shut down. I hope that my question is clear whether all files under /tmp can be safely... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
5 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)