Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ksh How to test if variable is numeric?? Post 302183666 by developncode on Wednesday 9th of April 2008 04:07:51 PM
Old 04-09-2008
I was able to get it to work...sorry it had one leading whitespace that was keeping it from recognizing that the variable was numeric and not a string. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to set a variable to accept alpha-numeric characters?

I am working on a shell program that needs to accept alpha-numeric input (i.e., P00375); when I use a simple 'read' statement to read in the input (i.e., read LOG), I receive the message "p00375: bad number". How must I adjust my input statement to accept alpha-numerics? Thanks! Brent (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcaunt
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - test if string contains alphanumeric...

Okay I will let users input spaces as well :) I am having a mental block. I have done a couple of searches but havent found anything that I understand (the likes of :alpha: and awk). Basically I want to give the user an option to enter some text which will go down as a field within a flat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tugger
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to check variable if its non numeric

if test $b -ne then echo "\n\n\n\tPassword reset has been done successfully" else echo "\n\n\n\tAn error occurred" fi i want to check whether $b is non-numeric so how to do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable length numeric string

I have a customer who logged some cc and bank account numbers in their apache logs. I got the cc numbers x'd out with sed -e 's/args=\{16\}/args=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/g' -e 's/cardnum=\{16\}/cardnum=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/g'but that wasn't too difficult due to the value being 16 digits. The bank account... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk4mzid
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove non numeric values from a variable

Hello all, I am working on a basic script but need a little help. Issue: I am running a SQL Query using sqlplus and a shell script. I have the output of the statement stored as variable $A. $A is set to "other text here 45678754 other text here". I need to strip all text except that numeric... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ownedthawte
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Test telnet and exit

Hi, I need to do a test Telnet in KSH and if the connection is good then disconnect the telnet session with out logging in and without exiting the shell script. Example output of a good connection: $telnet xxx.xx.xx.xxx xxxx Trying xxx.xx.xx.xxx... Connected to xxx.xx.xx.xxx. Escape... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: calex
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String variable to numeric conversion in perl

Hi guys I am having this strange issue.Well my requirement is like below Compare two values between flat file and oracle DB Via perl script I am easily getting the rowcount Now I connect sql plus via perl and the column value that returns is string my $sqlplus_settings = ''; my... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning numeric values to variable

I have a code like this v_num=9 comp_num=39 if then echo "pass" fi echo "end" I am getting an error ksh: v_num=99 comp_num=39 if then echo "pass" fi echo "end" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a numeric value from Oracle to UNIX variable without spaces?

Hi, I am using the below code to get a numeric value from oracle to unix variable: BD_RC_CNT=`sqlplus -s ${WMD_DM_CONNECT} <<EOF set heading off set pagesize 0 Select count(*) from wmd_bad_data where proc_id = ${PROC_ID} and file_id = ${FILE_ID} and file_dt =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking numeric expression in .ksh script

Gurus, Please need your help. I'm saving a filetimestamp into $filetimestamp and say....echo $filetimestamp gives 2015021612 I'm saving a cutoff_time into $cutoff_time say....echo $cutoff_time gives 2015021514 now my requirement is to check if $filetimestamp is greater than... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thummi9090
4 Replies
Regexp::Common::whitespace(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Regexp::Common::whitespace(3)

NAME
Regexp::Common::whitespace -- provides a regex for leading or trailing whitescape SYNOPSIS
use Regexp::Common qw /whitespace/; while (<>) { s/$RE{ws}{crop}//g; # Delete surrounding whitespace } DESCRIPTION
Please consult the manual of Regexp::Common for a general description of the works of this interface. Do not use this module directly, but load it via Regexp::Common. $RE{ws}{crop} Returns a pattern that identifies leading or trailing whitespace. For example: $str =~ s/$RE{ws}{crop}//g; # Delete surrounding whitespace The call: $RE{ws}{crop}->subs($str); is optimized (but probably still slower than doing the s///g explicitly). This pattern does not capture under "-keep". SEE ALSO
Regexp::Common for a general description of how to use this interface. AUTHOR
Damian Conway (damian@conway.org) MAINTAINANCE
This package is maintained by Abigail (regexp-common@abigail.be). BUGS AND IRRITATIONS
Bound to be plenty. For a start, there are many common regexes missing. Send them in to regexp-common@abigail.be. LICENSE and COPYRIGHT This software is Copyright (c) 2001 - 2009, Damian Conway and Abigail. This module is free software, and maybe used under any of the following licenses: 1) The Perl Artistic License. See the file COPYRIGHT.AL. 2) The Perl Artistic License 2.0. See the file COPYRIGHT.AL2. 3) The BSD Licence. See the file COPYRIGHT.BSD. 4) The MIT Licence. See the file COPYRIGHT.MIT. perl v5.18.2 2013-03-08 Regexp::Common::whitespace(3)