Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Want to mv files form one folder to another by date Post 302183646 by era on Wednesday 9th of April 2008 02:42:07 PM
Old 04-09-2008
But getting the list of files into a variable with an ls is not really the right way to do it.

Code:
for i in dd*.txt

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i delete files in folder by date?

Hi, I have some files on a folder and i want to delete all the files that were created on July. Thanks, Kobi. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobibn
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to list files with path & date in a folder

Hi, I need command to display files with full path and date of files where are generated at every 5hrs in a folder. eg: /u01/app/test/orjthsd_1_1 Sun May 10 19:03:26 2009 /u01/app/test/weoiusd_1_1 Sun May 10 21:00:26 2009 thanks saha (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saha
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer files with web based form by date

Not sure how I should approach this one. I have server X and Server Y. X is a collector. All files are seperated by hour. Y is used strictly for analysis. I do not always need all files from X. Sometimes other people use Y for analysis and do not always know how to transfer the files from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
3 Replies

4. Linux

rename files in a folder with date&time stamp

Hi, I want to rename all the files (more than 100 files) in a fodler to another folder with date&time stamp. foe eg, file1.dat file2.dat file3.dat .. to be renamed as file1100629_16_30_15.txt (yy-mon-dd_hh_mi_ss) file1100629_16_30_16.txt .. so on (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feroz
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh shell script to add date (YYYYMMDDHHMISS) to all .txt files in a folder

Everyday 15 files are written to a folder \app\where\thefiles\are\destined\CURRFOLDER Task1: I need to add date in YYYYMMDDHHMISS format to each of them. Example: File: ACCOUNT.txt Should be updated as: ACCOUNT_20101005175059.txt Task 2: After I update the files, they need to be ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duminix
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

How can I find the size of files added to a folder after a particular date

Hi, I want to find the size of the files added to a folder after a certain date(say 1st of october), I know we can list the files which were created after a certain date , but is there anyway to find the total size of those files ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alookachaloo
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select all files in a folder based on creation date (ls command)

Hi All, <Re-posting in Correct group> I'm trying to select all the files in a folder that starts with a particular name format and are created in a gven date range using 'ls' command...but i'm not successful.... Example : I'm trying to see all the text files in a folder who names start... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satya C1
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete oldest folder based on folder named as date

Hi, I have a script doing backup to synology server, the script create new folder each day with the date as being folder name i.e. 2018-07-30. Just before creating the new folder I want the script to find the oldest folder from the list and delete it including its content. for example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humble_learner
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to replace old date with current date dynamically in multiple files present in a folder

I am trying to work on a script where it is a *(star) delimited file has a multiple lines starts with RTG and 3rd column=TD8 I want to substring the date part and I want to replace with currentdate minus 15 days. Here is an example. iam using AIX server $ cat temp.txt RTG*888*TD8*20180201~... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shankar455
1 Replies
file-roller(1)							   User Commands						    file-roller(1)

NAME
file-roller - create, view, modify, or unpack an archive SYNOPSIS
file-roller [--add] [--add-to=archive] [--default-dir=folder] [--extract] [--extract-to=folder] [--force] [--help] [--usage] DESCRIPTION
The File Roller application enables you to create, view, modify, or unpack an archive. An archive is a file that acts as a container for other files. An archive can contain many files, folders, and subfolders, usually in compressed form. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --add Ask for the name of the archive, then add the files, then quit the application. You can also use -a to specify this option. --add-to=archive Add files to the specified archive, then quit the application. You can also use -d to specify this option. --default-dir=folder Specify the default folder for the--add and --extract options. --extract Ask for the name of the destination folder, then extract the files, then quit the application. You can also use -f to specify this option. --extract-to=folder Extract archives to the specified folder, then quit the application. You can also use -e to specify this option. --force Create the destination folder without asking for confirmation. --help Display help text. You can also use -? to specify this option. --usage Display brief usage text. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Unpacking an Archive example% file-roller --extract archive EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/file-roller Executable for File Roller application. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNW | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
File Roller Manual NOTES
Written by Laszlo Kovacs, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 29 Sep 2003 file-roller(1)