Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting finding difference between 2 directory recursively Post 302183526 by yayati on Wednesday 9th of April 2008 08:44:08 AM
Old 04-09-2008
finding difference between 2 directory recursively

Hi,
i'm trying to compare two directories in Unix.
I need a recursive search ie my shell script should also compare common files in those two directory and so on...
any clues.. ??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively copy only specific files from a directory tree

Hi I am a shell-script newbie and am looking to synchronize certain files in two directory structures. Both these directory-trees are in CVS and so I dont want the CVS directory to be copied over. I want only .sh and .pl files in each subdirectory under these directory trees to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharpsharkrocks
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files older than 5 minutes in directory (recursively)

sorry guys can some please give me a hint how to achieve this in a slick oneliner? delete files older than 5 minutes in specified directory (recursively) peace (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfake
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files recursively in the specified directory

I have to write a shell script which can delete all the files and directories recursively inside the specified directory but should not delete the specified directory. Please some body help me in writing the script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepthi.s
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding called functions recursively

I want to write a shell script which traverses a cpp file. Suppose there is function fncn_name6 .. which is called by fncn_name5 which in turn called by fncn_name4 and so on .. in a single cpp class. ie fncn_name1 { fncn_name2 { fncn_name3 } { fncn_name4 } } so fncn_name1 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
2 Replies

5. Solaris

grep recursively in a directory

Hi, how to grep recursively in a directory on Solaris OS. grep -r throws an error that -r is an invalid option. Please tell me if you have any solution. Regards, Jeevan. ps. I searched this forum for solution, but could not find anything useful. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find recursively all shell script in the /xyz directory

Pls. advise how to find or used grep recursively all shell script files. Some files doesnt have a .sh or .ksh extension name. find / -name "*" |xargs grep bin |grep sh ?? TIA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: budz26
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory To look something like below, for example /var 35 /var/tmp 56 /var/adm 46 Any ideas how can we do this? :wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jakerock
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recursively search for a list of keywords in a given directory?

Hi all, how to recursively search for a list of keywords in a given directory?? for example: suppose i have kept all the keywords in a file called "procnamelist" (in separate line) and i have to search recursively in a directory called "target/dir" if i am not doing recursive search then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recursively copy directory only for recent files?

I love the -newerct flag for the Cygwin find command on windows. Can I use "/usr/bin/find . -newerct '3 hours ago'" to conditionally copy a directory tree so that only the files in the directory tree that are younger than 3 hours are copied to my destination directory such that the directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files recursively to one single directory

I need to copy a complete directory structure into a new location. But I want to have all files copied into one directory and leave out the directory structure. So all files must be placed in one directory. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReneVL
4 Replies
DirCompare(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   DirCompare(3pm)

NAME
File::DirCompare - Perl module to compare two directories using callbacks. SYNOPSIS
use File::DirCompare; # Simple diff -r --brief replacement use File::Basename; File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, sub { my ($a, $b) = @_; if (! $b) { printf "Only in %s: %s ", dirname($a), basename($a); } elsif (! $a) { printf "Only in %s: %s ", dirname($b), basename($b); } else { print "Files $a and $b differ "; } }); # Version-control like Deleted/Added/Modified listing my (@listing, @modified); # use closure to collect results File::DirCompare->compare('old_tree', 'new_tree', sub { my ($a, $b) = @_; if (! $b) { push @listing, "D $a"; } elsif (! $a) { push @listing, "A $b"; } else { if (-f $a && -f $b) { push @listing, "M $b"; push @modified, $b; } else { # One file, one directory - treat as delete + add push @listing, "D $a"; push @listing, "A $b"; } } }); DESCRIPTION
File::DirCompare is a perl module to compare two directories using a callback, invoked for all files that are 'different' between the two directories, and for any files that exist only in one or other directory ('unique' files). File::DirCompare has a single public compare() method, with the following signature: File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, $opts); The first three arguments are required - $dir1 and $dir2 are paths to the two directories to be compared, and $sub is the subroutine reference called for all unique or different files. $opts is an optional hashref of options - see OPTIONS below. The provided subroutine is called for all unique files, and for every pair of 'different' files encountered, with the following signature: $sub->($file1, $file2) where $file1 and $file2 are the paths to the two files. For 'unique' files i.e. where a file exists in only one directory, the subroutine is called with the other argument 'undef' i.e. for: $sub->($file1, undef) $sub->(undef, $file2) the first indicates $file1 exists only in the first directory given ($dir1), and the second indicates $file2 exists only in the second directory given ($dir2). OPTIONS The following optional arguments are supported, passed in using a hash reference after the three required arguments to compare() e.g. File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { cmp => $cmp_sub, ignore_unique => 1, }); cmp By default, two files are regarded as different if their contents do not match (tested with File::Compare::compare). That default behaviour can be overridden by providing a 'cmp' subroutine to do the file comparison, returning zero if the two files are equal, and non-zero if not. E.g. to compare using modification times instead of file contents: File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { cmp => sub { -M $_[0] <=> -M $_[1] }, }); ignore_cmp If you want to see all corresponding files, not just 'different' ones, set the 'ignore_cmp' flag to tell File::DirCompare to skip its file comparison checks i.e. File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { ignore_cmp => 1 }); ignore_unique If you want to ignore files that only exist in one of the two directories, set the 'ignore_unique' flag i.e. File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { ignore_unique => 1 }); SEE ALSO
File::Dircmp, which provides similar functionality (and whose directory walking code I've adapted for this module), but a simpler reporting-only interface, something like the first example in the SYNOPSIS above. AUTHOR AND CREDITS
Gavin Carr <gavin@openfusion.com.au> Thanks to Robin Barker for a bug report and fix for glob problems with whitespace. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2006-2007 by Gavin Carr. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-03-02 DirCompare(3pm)