Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed,nawk for inputfile and out put file same Post 302183462 by svenkatareddy on Wednesday 9th of April 2008 06:02:28 AM
Old 04-09-2008
Sed,nawk for inputfile and out put file same

Hi,

I am using sed and nawk command for replace/add/remove on file records.

But when I am using the inputfile name and directing output to the same inpu name file becomes empty.
I don't want to use to copy it to another file and move it back to original file.

Example:

sed 's/./,&/17' inputfile > inputfile--------->becomes inputfile empty

I want it to be work in a sigle comamnd can it be possible, please let me know.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inputfile for shell-script

I want to use an inputfile for a shell-script Inputfile consists 10 lines In the script variables have to be filled with these lines $1 must be line 1 $2 must be line 2 and so on How do I get this done ??? :confused: :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cns
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

put each word in new line - sed or tr

Hello ! I have a result of ls command in a file: file1 file2 file3.out file4.pdf file5 they all are separated by space. I need to put them on a separate line example: file1 file2 file3.out file4.pdf fil35 i tried sed 's/ /\n/g' inputfile > outputfile but did not help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk,nawk,sed, delimiter |~|

RECORD=NEW|~|VENDORN=LUCENT|~|VENDORM=CBX500_REAR|~|NETWORK=ATM|~|SUBNETWORK=N/A|~|SITE=CIL|~|REGION=KN|~|COUNTRY=PS|~|SWITCH=SWITCH1|~|E THERNET=N/A|~|LOOPBACK=N/A|~|SHELF=N/A|~|SLOT=14|~|SUBSLOT=N/A|~|STSCHAN=N/A|~|PORT=S14|~|DS1SLOT=N/A|~|LINE=N/A|~|LPORTID=N/A|~|CARDDESC=N/A|~|CARDTYPE=BAC2RT0... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: knijjar
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in sed or nawk replace RE

Dear Friends, I am trying to replace the following pattern , But I cant understand how to express the RE in this case . Please help me with a sed command to replace . (Address = 918h : Initial = 0000h : RD /WR (Address = 91Ah : Initial =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put for loop in nawk

Hello All, How i can put loop in nawk. what i want is that i define a variable which contain vlaues like var='1 2 3 4 5' and then define for loop which gives vlaue to nawk one by one to varilable inside nawk and then print it. cat /omp-data/logs/5etr/081121.APX | nawk -v CDNLIST='700 701' ' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wakhan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in parsing xml file (sed/nawk)

I have a large xml file as shown below: <input> <blah> <blah> <atr="blah blah value = ""> <blah> <blah> </input> ..2nd chunk... ..3rd chunk... ...4th chunk... All lines between <input> and </input> is one 'order' and this 'order' is repeated... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use grep sed or awk to extract string from log file and put into CSV

I'd like to copy strings from a log file and put them into a CSV. The strings could be on different line numbers, depending on size of log. Example Log File: File = foo.bat Date = 11/11/11 User = Foo Bar Size = 1024 ... CSV should look like: "foo.bat","11/11/11","Foo Bar","1024" (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipperuga
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/Nawk help

Hi all, I have the following piece of code which reformats a file but the part that isn't working converts a date from dd mmm ccyy format to 2 fields containing dd/mm/ccyy,ccyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.000000 This is for a DB2 load file. The problem I have is that the input dd values (the dd variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazedandconfuse
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help parsing data with sed and/or nawk

Good day all. I have the following entries of data in a file in a column, however, I need this data written on a single line with several parameters in a different order. Current format: Treatment ,parmeter1=value ,parmeter2=value ,parmeter3=value ,parmeter4=value... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BRH
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Variable instead inputfile

Hi , can I use var1 instead of inputfile (index.html) in AWK? var1='<script>text1 asd asd asd</script> text2 asd, asd text3 asd asd asd asd text4 asdasdasd asd asd' awk '/<script /{p=1} /<\/script>/{p=0; next}!p' index.html Thank you! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanantonio7777
7 Replies
pstopdf(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						pstopdf(1)

NAME
pstopdf -- convert PostScript input into a PDF document. SYNOPSIS
pstopdf [inputfile] [-o outname] [-l] [-p] DESCRIPTION
pstopdf is a tool to convert PostScript input data into a PDF document. The input data may come from a file or may be read from stdin. The PDF document is always written to a file. The name of the output PDF file is derived from the name of the input file or may be explicitly named using the -o option. Flags: -o outname The name of the output file to create. If an explicit file name is not supplied, the output file will be created in the current directory and named foo.pdf for an input file named foo.ps -l Specifies that any messages generated during file conversion be written to a log file. For an output file named foo.pdf the generated log file is foo.pdf.log rather than generated to stdout. If there are no messages, the log file is not generated. -p Generates a simple progress message to stdout at the end of each page. Because conversion of complex or lengthy PostScript input can take time, it is sometimes useful to see that progress is being made. Progress messages are always written to stdout even when the -l (log file) option is specified. EXAMPLES
pstopdf inputfile.ps Creates a PDF file named inputfile.pdf from the PostScript data in the input file inputfile.ps pstopdf -o outputfilename Creates a PDF file named outputfilename from the PostScript data read from stdin. Apple Computer, Inc. May 31, 2019 Apple Computer, Inc.