Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NIS+ problems
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users NIS+ problems Post 302183457 by wjones on Wednesday 9th of April 2008 05:30:53 AM
Old 04-09-2008
NIS+ problems

We are lumbered with using NIS+, and I have some questions regarding its use.

1 in a senario with 1 master 3 slaves, if the slaves all die the master will also fail ? There is some thing I read which states that NIS+ needs n/2 to function can anyone confirm / deny this ?

Also in the event that NIS+ fails, then surely the local /etc/password system would kick in, is that correct, what about other files under NIS+ control like /etc/hosts ?

Any thoughts are welcomed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris NIS+ and RedHat NIS+

Hello all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I would like to know if Redhat running NIS ( not NIS +) would have conflict with Solaris running NIS+. Currently I am running NIS+ on Solaris but will be adding RedHat to the network. I seem to be unable to find and information regarding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

differences nis nis+

Hello together. Is there someone who is able to explain me the differences between NIS and NIS+. thanks in advance joerg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help...Bad NIS problems

I changed the root password on the NIS master, now I cant login to any of the NIS clients. Or even the NIS master using normal logons, any ideas what might be wrong or how I can solve this? Im running solaris 2.6 btw. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blakmk
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS map mail.aliases specified, but NIS not running

Hi all, I just took over the admin role from someone and I wanna setup sendmail (just to send mail from the host) however, after I config all the resolv.conf, nssitch.conf, hosts file and when I try to send a mail out, after I punched ctl-D, it returned he following, "NIS map mail.aliases... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stancwong
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SUSE 9 and 10 NIS clients with RedHat 8.0 NIS server not working

We have a RedHat 8.0 NIS master, with a RedHat 8.0 NIS Slave. We also have a small number of SUSE 9.1 and SUSE 10 machines here for evaluation. However, no matter what i do, the SUSE machines will not talk to the NIS Servers. If i broadcast for NIS Servers for the specified NIS domain, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS master / slave problems

Our NIS master server went down. We have since fixed it and brought it back up. However all of are machines still point to the slave server when looking at it with ypwhich. My question is how do i point the servers back to the master. Frank (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

8. Solaris

NIS problems in Sun 5.10

Hi everyone! I have a problem with NIS and I'm hoping one of you experts can point me in the right direction :) I have setup 2 Solaris10 machines in VMWare and I was following this guide I found: Solaris: NIS installation and configuration - Basically Tech After following that guide, I was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating that the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled

I'm creating a scrip for auditing our AIX box's to ensure that they are built according to our system standards. I'm not sure on the logic for checking to see if the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled. any idea's? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Solved -- Problems with NIS Password Expiration...

HI. I was wondering if anyone can assist me in this. I have an HP-UX 11.31 server at work which keeps expiring my NIS password. I cannot log in unless I use root access. It worked before and I think some of the settings changed since then. My boss has told me that since we're taking some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
1 Replies
ypfiles(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							ypfiles(4)

NAME
ypfiles - Network Information Service (NIS) database and directory structure DESCRIPTION
The NIS database lookup service uses a database of dbm/ndbm, btree, or hash files in the /var/yp directory hierarchy. A dbm/ndbm database consists of two files created by calls to the dbminit(3) function. One has the filename extension .pag and the other has the filename extension .dir. For instance, the database named hosts.byname, is implemented by the pair of files hosts.byname.pag and hosts.byname.dir. A btree or hash database consists of a single file created by calls to the dbopen(3) function. A btree file has the filename extension .btree; a hash file has the extension .hash. A dbm/ndbm database served by NIS is called an NIS map. A NIS domain is a named set of NIS maps. Each NIS domain is implemented as a sub- directory of /var/yp containing the maps. The number of NIS domains that can exist is unlimited. Each domain can contain any number of maps. The NIS maps are not required by the NIS lookup service, although they may be required for the normal operation of other parts of the sys- tem. The NIS lookup service serves all maps. If the map exists in a given domain and a client asks about it, NIS will serve it. There is, however, a set of default maps that the NIS service serves. The files representing these maps are listed in this description under Files. For a map to be accessible consistently, it must exist on all NIS servers that serve the domain. To provide data consistency between the replicated maps, an entry to execute the ypxfr command periodically should be made in the /var/spool/cron/crontab/root file on each slave server. More information on this topic is in ypxfr(8). An entry in the /var/spool/cron/crontab/root file must not exist, either on a NIS master server or on a pure NIS client machine. The NIS maps should contain two distinguished key-value pairs. The first is the key YP_LAST_MODIFIED, whose value is a 10-character ASCII order number. The order number should be the UNIX time in seconds when the map was built. The second key is YP_MASTER_NAME, with the name of the NIS master server as a value. The makedbm(8) command generates both key-value pairs automatically. A map that does not contain both key-value pairs can be served by the NIS, but the ypserv process will not be able to return values for ``Get order number'' or ``Get master name'' requests. In addition, the values of these two keys are used by ypxfr(8) when it transfers a map from a master NIS server to a slave. Before they can be properly accessed, the NIS maps must be initially set up for both masters and slaves by using the ypsetup(8) function. Further, NIS maps must be generated and modified only at the master server location. Copies of the master server NIS maps can then be transferred to the slave servers using the ypxfr(8) function. If ypxfr is unable to determine a map's location, or if it is unable to determine whether the local copy is more recent than the master copy, extra command line switches must be set when it is executed. After the server databases are set up, the contents of some maps may change. In general, some ASCII source version of the database exists on the master. This version should be changed with a standard text editor. The update is incorporated into the NIS map and is propagated from the master to the slaves by running /var/yp/Makefile. All maps must have entries in /var/yp/Makefile. If an NIS map is added, the /var/yp/Makefile must be edited to support the new map. The makefile uses makedbm(8) to generate the NIS map on the master, and yppush(8) to propagate the changed map to the slaves. The yppush(8) command is a client of the map ypservers, which lists all of the NIS servers. FILES
/var/yp/src/passwd /var/yp/src/group /var/yp/src/hosts /var/yp/src/networks /var/yp/src/services /var/yp/src/protocols /var/yp/src/netgroup RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: makedbm(8), rpcinfo(8), ypmake(8), yppoll(8), yppush(8), ypserv(8), ypsetup(8), ypxfr(8). Functions: btree(3), dbm(3), hash(3), ndbm(3). delim off ypfiles(4)