Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting question Post 302183136 by mrhenry on Tuesday 8th of April 2008 11:13:48 AM
Old 04-08-2008
question

how do i write a script that'll open what i entered and scan it for a certain line of text.

for example, i enter a filename (that exists) and in that file i want to scan a certain word that'll show how much of that word appears throughout the file.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Yet Another Question

Now that I have getch() to work, I have yet another problem. BTW, thank you for answering these questions, I do ask a lot, only because I am eager to know, what is a board used for anyways :) Ok, he's the problem... #include iostream.h #include conio.h int main() { char movement; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbolthouse
2 Replies

2. Solaris

vi question

Im trying to edit a 113 meg file in VI and i get the error TMP FILE TOO LARGE. Does someone know how to get around this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mv question

Hello if I like to move file from defined directories system to new directory that not contained any directories system structure . But I like to create the same file system structure as source directory for example : I have 2 directories: foo1 and foo2 foo1 have directories and foo2 have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question

hallo, ik heb hier een vraagje. hoeveel gebruikers kunnen er op 1 unix systeem. hopelijk antwoorden golle nu want ik moet da vinde voor school en die leerkracht zaagt. :p groetjes eu wacht wa was mijne nick ah ja vraagje groetjes vraagje ik kan geen engels dus antwoord liever in het... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vraagje
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about wc

Hey my friend was asking me if i knew a way to cout how many different words in a file. I told him no not off hand, but i was thinking about it, and i started to wonder also. I imagine this is probably pretty simple im just missing something, I keep confusing my self with how you would compair and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: yodadbl07
16 Replies

6. Hardware

question

How to add 3 moniters to a pc set up? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clicstic
2 Replies

7. AIX

df question

Hi, Can anyone please explain a little about df command. I have following question: Following example is showing % used as 4 where as total free blocks are 15.46 out of 16.00 MB blocks. df -m /test Filesystem MBblocks Free %Used Iused %Iused ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsabhi9
5 Replies
SCAN(1)                                                              [nmh-1.5]                                                             SCAN(1)

NAME
scan - produce a one line per message scan listing SYNOPSIS
scan [+folder] [msgs] [-clear | -noclear] [-form formatfile] [-format string] [-header | -noheader] [-width columns] [-reverse | -nore- verse] [-file filename] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Scan produces a one-line-per-message listing of the specified folder or messages. Each scan line contains the message number (name), the date, the "From:" field, the "Subject" field, and, if room allows, some of the body of the message. For example: 15+ 10/05 crocker nned <<Last week I asked some of 16- 10/05 crocker message id format <<I recommend 18 10/06 brien Re: Exit status from mkdir 19 10/07*brien "scan" listing format in nmh The `+' on message 15 indicates that it is the current message. The `-' on message 16 indicates that it has been replied to, as indicated by a "Replied:" component (produced by the -annotate switch to the repl command). The `*' on message 19 indicates that no "Date:" header was present. The time of last modification of the message is given instead. If there is sufficient room left on the scan line after the subject, the line will be filled with text from the body, preceded by "<<", and terminated by ">>" if the body is sufficiently short. Scan actually reads each of the specified messages and parses them to extract the desired fields. During parsing, appropriate error messages will be produced if there are format errors in any of the messages. By default, scan will decode RFC-2047 (MIME) encoding in these scan listings. Scan will only decode these fields if your terminal can natively display the character set used in the encoding. You should set the MM_CHARSET environment variable to your native character set, if it is not US-ASCII. See the mh-profile(5) man page for details about this environment variable. The switch -reverse, makes scan list the messages in reverse order. The -file filename switch allows the user to obtain a scan listing of a maildrop file as produced by packf. This listing includes every message in the file (you can't scan individual messages). The switch -reverse is ignored with this option. The switch -width columns may be used to specify the width of the scan line. The default is to use the width of the terminal. The -header switch produces a header line prior to the scan listing. Currently, the name of the folder and the current date and time are output (see the HISTORY section for more information). If the -clear switch is used and scan's output is directed to a terminal, then scan will consult the environment variables $TERM and $TERM- CAP to determine your terminal type in order to find out how to clear the screen prior to exiting. If the -clear switch is used and scan's output is not directed to a terminal (e.g., a pipe or a file), then scan will send a formfeed prior to exiting. For example, the command: (scan -clear -header; show all -show pr -f) | lpr produces a scan listing of the current folder, followed by a formfeed, followed by a formatted listing of all messages in the folder, one per page. Omitting "-show pr -f" will cause the messages to be concatenated, separated by a one-line header and two blank lines. To override the output format used by scan, the -format string or -form file switches are used. This permits individual fields of the scan listing to be extracted with ease. The string is simply a format string and the file is simply a format file. See mh-format(5) for the details. In addition to the standard mh-format(5) escapes, scan also recognizes the following additional component escapes: Escape Returns Description body string the (compressed) first part of the body dtimenow date the current date folder string the name of the current folder If no date header is present in the message, the function escapes which operate on {date} will return values for the date of last modifica- tion of the message file itself. This feature is handy for scanning a draft folder, as message drafts usually aren't allowed to have dates in them. scan will update the nmh context prior to starting the listing, so interrupting a long scan listing preserves the new context. nmh purists hate this idea. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Alternate-Mailboxes: To determine the user's mailboxes Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
inc(1), pick(1), show(1), mh-format(5) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to all `-format' defaulted as described above `-noheader' `-width' defaulted to the width of the terminal CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. HISTORY
Prior to using the format string mechanism, -header used to generate a heading saying what each column in the listing was. Format strings prevent this from happening. BUGS
The argument to the -format switch must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes scan. Therefore, one must usually place the argument to this switch inside quotes. The value of each component escape is set by scan to the contents of the first message header scan encounters with the corresponding compo- nent name; any following headers with the same component name are ignored. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 SCAN(1)