Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running UNIX Commands from C
Top Forums Programming Running UNIX Commands from C Post 302182928 by sad_angle on Monday 7th of April 2008 11:29:22 PM
Old 04-08-2008
Try this thread

how to get list of processes

Good luck

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running start up commands

Hi all How can I setup my shell so that I run a set of commmands or a script every time I login. I am using kshell. I tried putting a line in ./.bash_profile (does not work) Ex.: I want to use vi as the commandline editor so, I want to run the command: set -o vi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable running commands from vi

Hello, We have a requirement to disable running shell commands via vi using "!". Can anybody please suggest how to disable this option. The requirement arises because we open up a xterm window with a config file in vi mode for the customer to edit. After the customer edits the config... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Umesh_Sharoff
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem running plsql & unix commands in 1 script

Hi, I need help again. When I run this shell script, it only runs the unld_date.sql piece and exits. How can I structure this to run all the way to the end? When I don't have the unld_date.sql piece in here, everything runs fine from the date compare piece all the way to the end. Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siog
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running UNIX commands remotely in Windows box from Unix box – avoid entering password

I am able to run the UNIX commands in a Windows box from a UNIX box through "SSH" functionality. But whenever the SSH connection is established between UNIX and Windows, password for windows box is being asked. Is there a way to avoid asking password whenever the SSH connection is made? Can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: D.kalpana
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[PERL] Running unix commands within Perl Scripts

I understand that in order to run basic unix commands I would normally type at the prompt, I would have to use the following format system(ls -l); or exec(ls -l); But when I actually try to use the command, the script fails to compile and keeps telling me there is an error with this line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: userix
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running unix commands through perl

Hi all, In the directory '/temp/chris' the following files exist: chris.tar, chris.txt What i am trying to do is to assign the 'chris.tar' filename in an argument through perl, in order to do that i use the system command: $file=system("ls /temp/chris/*.tmp), but in the '$file' the exit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running sed commands

Hello I need to run some sed commands but it involves "/" in the substitute or delete, any ideas how I get round the problem. Example: cat file1.txt | sed -e '/</Header>/d' > file2.txt This errors due to the forward slash before the Header text. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running multiple unix commands in a single script

Hi, I would like to write a script with include more than 6 unix commands. my script like below: echo " script started" ls -ld bdf | grep "rama" tail -10 log.txt ... .. ... now, i want to run above unix commands one by one. example: first the ls -ld command will be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running unix commands in a perl script

Executing two unix commads via perl script one after another e.g: make clean bsub -i -q short make have tried using exec but the second command doesnt executes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajroshan
1 Replies

10. Programming

Running Multiple Unix commands in qx

Hi All, Is there anything wrong with below syntax? qx {perldoc -v ModuleName.pm | grep -i Description } BTW, this question is related to Perl. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jal_capri
3 Replies
IOSTAT(1M)																IOSTAT(1M)

NAME
iostat - report I/O statistics SYNOPSIS
iostat [ option ] ... [ interval [ count ] ] DESCRIPTION
Iostat delves into the system and reports certain statistics kept about input-output activity. Information is kept about up to three dif- ferent disks (RF, RK, RP) and about typewriters. For each disk, IO completions and number of words transferred are counted; for typewrit- ers collectively, the number of input and output characters are counted. Also, each sixtieth of a second, the state of each disk is exam- ined and a tally is made if the disk is active. The tally goes into one of four categories, depending on whether the system is executing in user mode, in `nice' (background) user mode, in system mode, or idle. From all these numbers and from the known transfer rates of the devices it is possible to determine information such as the degree of IO overlap and average seek times for each device. The optional interval argument causes iostat to report once each interval seconds. The first report is for all time since a reboot and each subsequent report is for the last interval only. The optional count argument restricts the number of reports. With no option argument iostat reports for each disk the number of transfers per minute, the milliseconds per average seek, and the mil- liseconds per data transfer exclusive of seek time. It also gives the percentage of time the system has spend in each of the four cate- gories mentioned above. The following options are available: -t Report the number of characters of terminal IO per second as well. -i Report the percentage of time spend in each of the four categories mentioned above, the percentage of time each disk was active (seeking or transferring), the percentage of time any disk was active, and the percentage of time spent in `IO wait:' idle, but with a disk active. -s Report the raw timing information: 32 numbers indicating the percentage of time spent in each of the possible configurations of 4 system states and 8 IO states (3 disks each active or not). -b Report on the usage of IO buffers. FILES
/dev/mem, /unix IOSTAT(1M)