Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users is there a way to find out the tty from which the process is launched Post 302182607 by sleepy_11 on Monday 7th of April 2008 05:01:04 AM
Old 04-07-2008
Question is there a way to find out the tty from which the process is launched

Hi all,
There is an application which can be launched once on our box and there are several suspected users telnet into the system with the same login ID.
Is there a way that i can find out from which tty the application is launched? If so, i can get the user name from the "finger" command.

Thanks in adv.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Controlling Tty For A Process

I have developed a Code to find out number and name of processes currently running in SunOS Release 5.8 Server. I have used 'prpsinfo' structure to retrieve process details. But however I am unable to decompose the controlling terminal for the processes. The member variable pr_lttydev holds... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S.P.Prasad
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the chid process id from given parent process id

how to find the chid process id from given parent process id.... (the chid process doesnot have sub processes inturn) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guhas
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process launched by user who logs out, continue running ?

Lets say a user starts a process (either a shell script or a Perl script) and before that process finishes, he logs out (either intentionaly or network problems or ...), does the process continu running ? Default shell is Korn. This is because at my job (being trained), there are tasks to run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lastlog and launched process

Hello there, I "discovered" an interesting command lastlog, but I couldn't find, until now:cool:, if it's possible to get a list of the launched process by users and root during a certain of time... ...any idea would be really appreciated!!! Thanks in advance. Giordano Bruno (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find shell process pid launched throug `at`.

Hi. I was testing some staff and wrote simple script, which only writes date to log every 15 seconds. Like that #1.sh while true;do echo `date` >> 1.log sleep 15 done And than i ran this process with `at -s -f 1.sh now`. And now it is running and i don't know how to catch it. I tryed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kukuruku
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/tty find last modified time

what can I use to find the last modified time of a /dev/tty ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Different ways in which applications are Launched.

How does X windows system launch a program? Does X give init a command (fork) or does x give BASH a command? Can/does X interact with init directly or does everything go through BASH? :wall: Thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Process dies when launched in system startup script

Good morning! I'm trying to add Maven to the system boot by the moment without success. Testing the operation of the script I realize that the process isn't persistent when the program is launched with the start option. ---- #Startup Script ---- #! /bin/sh # chkconfig: 345 99 1 #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: carpannav
5 Replies

9. Programming

Find parent process (not process ID)

Hi: I have a program written in FORTRAN running on AIX platform. It is because missing of documentation and without root password, therefore we want to modify the program so that we can find out which script/program that call this FORTRAN program. I have google for few days, all of them are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstsang
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
cconsole(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      cconsole(1M)

NAME
cconsole , crlogin, cssh, ctelnet - multi window, multi machine, remote console, login, ssh, and telnet commands SYNOPSIS
$CLUSTER_HOME/bin/cconsole [-s] [ -l username] [clustername... | nodename...] $CLUSTER_HOME/bin/crlogin [-l username] [clustername... | nodename...] $CLUSTER_HOME/bin/cssh [-l username] [-p ssh-port] [clustername... | nodename...] $CLUSTER_HOME/bin/ctelnet [clustername... | nodename...] DESCRIPTION
These utilities initiate a multiple window connection to a set of specified hosts. There are three variations: one that is specifically intended for remote console access while the others provide remote logins using rlogin, ssh, or telnet. Each utility starts a host window for each of the specified hosts, as well as a common window. Input directed into the common window is sent to each of these host windows. This tool is useful for system administration tasks that require similar things to be done on each of several hosts. For tasks that are identical on all hosts, typing in the common window sends the characters to all of the hosts. However, the host windows are normal terminal windows so they can also be used one at a time (by moving the mouse into one of them and typing directly into it) to perform host specific tasks. The common window also allows the user to select which hosts receive the characters typed in the common window, so only the specified hosts will receive input. These utilities use entries in two different databases, /etc/clusters and /etc/serialports. cconsole The cconsole command provides remote console access through the telnet command. All normal telnet escape characters are available to the user. See the telnet(1) man page for a complete listing of telnet escape characters. Because there are a few telnet escapes that are com- monly used, they are provided here as well. The escape character is Control-], specified below as ^]. ^] quit Quit the session. Analogous to ~. in tip and rlogin. ^] send brk Send a break signal to the remote system. This is what is needed to halt the Sun CPU. The normal key board sequence is "L1-A." crlogin The crlogin utility provides remote login through the rlogin command to multiple cluster nodes. cssh The cssh utility establishes Secure Shell connections directly to the cluster nodes through the ssh command. ctelnet The ctelnet utility is similar to cconsole except that the connection is directly over the Internet. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -l username Specifies the user name for the ssh connection. This option is passed to the cconsole, crlogin, or cssh utility when the utility is launched from the CCP. The ctelnet utility ignores this option. If the -l option is not specified, the user name that launched the CCP is effective. -p ssh-port Specifies the Secure Shell port number to use. This option is passed to the cssh utility when the utility is launched from the CCP. The cconsole, crlogin, and ctelnet utilities ignore this option, If the -p option is not specified, the default port number 22 is used for secure connections. -s Specifies using Secure Shell connections to node consoles instead of telnet connections. This option is passed to the cconsole utility when the utility is launched from the CCP. The crlogin, cssh, and ctelnet utilities ignore this option. If the -s option is not specified, the cconsole utility uses telnet connections to the consoles. To override the -s option, deselect the Use SSH checkbox in the Options menu of the cconsole graphical user interface (GUI). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of these utilities: CLUSTER_HOME Location of Sun Cluster System tools. Defaults to /opt/SUNWcluster. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWccon | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
rlogin(1), ssh(1), telnet(1), tip(1), ccp(1M), chosts(1M), cports(1M), clusters(4), serialports(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The standard set of X Window System command line arguments are accepted. Sun Cluster 3.2 8 Sep 2007 cconsole(1M)