Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Trap key press in a script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trap key press in a script Post 302182163 by Perderabo on Saturday 5th of April 2008 04:56:02 PM
Old 04-05-2008
I agree with era. That was a very neat trick. For a more advanced use of it see: https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...character.html

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read line with a single key press...

I would really like to have a script that will accept the key press from the user with out having to press the enter key afterwards. i.e. echo "Press Y to print \c" read YesNo At this point the user has to press the enter key to continue. Is there a way to accept the key press from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capture an empty key press...

I am trying to test input from the user, if they press enter with out an Y or N. I have the characheter thing sorted but when it comes to a blank or empty key press I am having trouble. if ; then clear echo "Sorry, that is an invalid choice!" exit fi I am using a KSH script in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

trap signal for enter key

hi , What is the trap signal for "ENTER key"? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith_VK
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to 'trap' the 'control+z' key

hello, I wanted to trap the signals in my shell script.We generally write it as:- By doing this I am able to trap ctrl+c.But when I hit "ctrl+z", then my shell is terminating....can you please tell me how to trap this signal.I wanna know the number corresponding to it !!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -n1 -r -p "Press..." key / produces error in bash shell script

Hello! Sorry, for my not so perfect english! I want to stop bash shell script execution until any key is pressed. This line in a bash shell script read -n1 -r -p "Press any key to continue..." key produces this error When I run this from the command line usera@lynx:~$ read... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxinho
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any key press causing logout from shell

Hi all! I have written a shell script which will invoke perl script infinitly in the background in a loop. Code will do as:Within while loop, perl script will be run in background, get the pid and notify pid in though mail. then wait for pid to be completed before going for next iteration. I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jramesh1
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Press Any Key script sequence using bash - HELP

hi to all. im a newbie in unix shell scripts. i want to make a simple unix shell script using the bash shell that asks a user to press any key after a series of commands, or an x if he wishes to exit. here's a sample script that i made: #!/usr/bin/bash pause(){ /usr/bin/echo "\t\t Press... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: booghaw
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect key press in cgi shell script?

I want to detect key pressed in my .cgi web page, but it does not work even I found the code in other web site. My code is : #!/bin/sh #================================================= # PATH defination # ================================================... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shuinvy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a command for specific amount of time with an auto key press

Hi, I have been trying to do a small fun project for myself. I want to run a command for 45 seconds. And to get the final output of this command, the script requires I push the "q" key on my keyboard and then the final output file becomes available. I tried the following script. But it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
12 Replies
trap(1) 							   User Commands							   trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)