Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stuck on a matching, copying type problem Post 302182089 by era on Saturday 5th of April 2008 10:50:56 AM
Old 04-05-2008
The join command is a completely generic solution to this type of problem. However, it requires input files to be sorted. You could create awk scripts which read in one file in the BEGIN part and then processes the other as its regular input. Perl or Python might suit themselves better to this type of problem, though. Learning the basics of Perl is not particularly challenging if you are already familiar with sed and awk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying all files of type "pdf"

Hi, Within a shell script I'm trying to copy all the files in a directory structure to another folder but only the files of type "pdf" I have made a start but I can't work out how to finish it. find $ATEBUILD/doc/user -name "*.pdf" | xargs cp THEN WHAT? I hope this makes sense! Rob (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: milage
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variable type

Dear All, I am trying to write an script to calculate geometric centre of selected residues of a protein structure. Say I have a PDB file (a text containing the x, y, and z coordinates of atoms of a protein). I want to extract the X coordinates of the atoms belonging to the interested residues... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siavoush
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

terminal type problem with cygwin on aix

hey, I use cygwin to connect to AIX 5.2 but when I open vi I get an error saying: ex: 0602-108 cygwin is not a recognized terminal type how can I fix that? I thought cygwin was tty vt100? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rein
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem in copying files!!

I have requirement of one directory in /tmp area on Sun server. The area contains following files : brdcems# /tmp/.tivoli >>ls -lt total 0 srwxrwxrwx 1 root other 0 Nov 16 13:41 a9c30c14-80bf256e-94 srwxrwxrwx 1 root other 0 Nov 12 12:28 a9c30cc8-80bf256e-94 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk
4 Replies

5. SCO

Sco 6 copying problem

We are using GTAR for daily copies of our database using Travan cartridges (Tapestor drive)and are having intermittent problems. Some days it does not copy and we can't figure out why. Sometimes it seems to be hanging and a tape status command doesn't return anything. Other times it doesn't copy... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yrr88
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stuck with a simple find problem

Hi, Need some simple find help. I need to search for all .so files within sol directory. My directory tree has mix of directories and i want to search only inside sol directory. I could get this done combining find with for, any option to do this with find alone. for a in `find .... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find problem listing directories even -type f

Hi All, #!/bin/ksh find /home/other -ls -type f -xdev | sort -nrk7 | head -2 >bigfile.txt The above is my script, which writes the large file into a file called bigfile.txt. My script contains only the above two lines. after execution i am getting the output like find: cannot chdir to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with type-casting in awk

Hi I'm trying to write a script which takes an integer as input and checks for files with size > input and displays it on screen. The code I've tried : echo 'Enter the min file size expected' read filesize du -ah <folder name> | awk -F: '$1>int(filesize) {print $1,$2)' is always... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.bharadwaj
28 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell display lenght problem!!! i got stuck on this

Using the KSH, write a shell script called display_by_length, which takes an absolute pathname to a directory and displays all ordinary files in the directory ordered by their length; for each file listed, display the name of the file and its length - nothing else. Extend this script to take an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babuda0059
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Type casting problem

hi guys, i m new to shell script.. i dont know how to type cast string into integers and i mention my problem below.. date="21091988" month=$((${date:2:2})) # extract the month from previous date variable temp=$(($month*23)) when i am trying to calculate the temp value i got the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raadhaakrishnan
5 Replies
ARITHMETIC(6)							   Games Manual 						     ARITHMETIC(6)

NAME
arithmetic - provide drill in number facts SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/arithmetic [ +-x/ ] [ range ] DESCRIPTION
Arithmetic types out simple arithmetic problems, and waits for an answer to be typed in. If the answer is correct, it types back "Right!", and a new problem. If the answer is wrong, it replies "What?", and waits for another answer. Every twenty problems, it publishes statis- tics on correctness and the time required to answer. To quit the program, type an interrupt (delete). The first optional argument determines the kind of problem to be generated; +-x/ respectively cause addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division problems to be generated. One or more characters can be given; if more than one is given, the different types of problems will be mixed in random order; default is +- Range is a decimal number; all addends, subtrahends, differences, multiplicands, divisors, and quotients will be less than or equal to the value of range. Default range is 10. At the start, all numbers less than or equal to range are equally likely to appear. If the respondent makes a mistake, the numbers in the problem which was missed become more likely to reappear. As a matter of educational philosophy, the program will not give correct answers, since the learner should, in principle, be able to calcu- late them. Thus the program is intended to provide drill for someone just past the first learning stage, not to teach number facts de novo. For almost all users, the relevant statistic should be time per problem, not percent correct. ARITHMETIC(6)