Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change Account to not lock account if password expires Post 302181957 by stringzz on Friday 4th of April 2008 02:55:18 PM
Old 04-04-2008
Change Account to not lock account if password expires

I have access to 15+ UNIX boxes at work, and I do not consistently log onto all of them over time. When I do try to access one I havent been on in awhile, my account is locked as the password has expired.

I need to request to the UNIX SA's that the password expiration is 90 days and that if it expires, it prompts me to change my password, instead of locking the account. What is the technical commands of my request is my question so there is no mistaking my request.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ftp account change password

How can I change the password from an ftp user account on a ssh server? Please give me simple instructions for a users who hasn't a lot of experience. :D Just the words in form of a list thanks a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m.seidenberg
1 Replies

2. Solaris

how can I change user name and password , of account ?

passwd only changes the password but i need to change the user name tnx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change other account password from root access

Hi, I have forgotten my personal account password but I still have the root access to the box. Please tell me how can I change my other account password by logging as root. Thanks. Rakesh :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

lock an account

hi how can I Lock an account, by prepending ”*LK*” to the password field in /etc/shadow. I dont want to use passwd -l . Any idea? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
3 Replies

5. Solaris

How to lock the account after consecutive unsuccessful login

Dears, I want to lock the user's account after consecutive unsuccessful login attempts, how can I do this ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlsun
1 Replies

6. SuSE

How to lock the account after consecutive unsuccessful login in SUSE

Hi , Can anyone give ur answer for How to lock the account after consecutive unsuccessful login in SUSE Enterprise 10.2 Linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthik04
1 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

openssh_4.6 on Unixware 7.1.4 - ssh does not lock account after x attempts

Hi all, I am having some issues with openssh vers OpenSSH_4.6p1 on SCO unixware 7.1.4 when a user accesses the system via ssh and the password is incorrect and more attempts have been made that the lock out limit I find that although there are messages in the syslog the account does not lock... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create account that expires in 3 days

I was hoping that somebody could help me out with this. I just deployed a new FTP server and I have a script that creates the new account. How would I go about having it expire 3 days after after creation? useradd -s /bin/false -m -p $pass $username (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
7 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Restart old account, change email for account

Hi there, I may have had a typo in my email previously provided. I have doublechecked my email for Scott's reply but havent seen it, so I am creating a new post. My new email can be either one of these: <removed> or <removed> I beleive my old email was <removed by admin> thanks for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AKelam_MagnusA
1 Replies
lchage(1)						      General Commands Manual							 lchage(1)

NAME
lchage - Display or change user password policy SYNOPSIS
lchage [OPTION]... user DESCRIPTION
Displays or allows changing password policy of user. OPTIONS
-d, --date=days Set the date of last password change to days after Jan 1 1970. Set days to -1 to disable password expiration (i.e. to ignore --mindays, and --maxdays and related settings). Set days to 0 to enforce password change on next login. (This also disables password expiration until the password is changed.) -E, --expire=days Set the account expiration date to days after Jan 1 1970. Set days to -1 to disable account expiration. -i, --interactive Ask all questions when connecting to the user database, even if default answers are set up in libuser configuration. -I, --inactive=days Disable the account after days after password expires (after the user is required to change the password). Set days to -1 to keep the account enabled indefinitely after password expiration. -l, --list Only list current user's policy and make no changes. -m, --mindays=days Require at least days days between password changes. Set days to 0 or -1 to disable this requirement. If this value is larger than the value set by --maxdays, the user cannot change the pasword. -M, --maxdays=days Require changing the password after days since last password change. Set days to -1 to disable password expiration. -W, --warndays=days Start warning the user days before password expires (before the user is required to change the password). Set days to 0 or -1 to disable the warning. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 on success, nonzero on error. NOTES
Note that "account expiration" (set by --expire) is distinct from "password expiration" (set by --maxdays). Account expiration happens on a fixed date regardless of password changes. Password expiration is relative to the date of last password change. libuser Nov 8 2012 lchage(1)