Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I feed numbers from awk(1) to tail(1)? Post 302181794 by ropers on Friday 4th of April 2008 06:50:44 AM
Old 04-04-2008
I think I've sort of cracked it. I've understood the gist of unilover's solution, and I've managed to incorporate part of his approach into my initial attempted solution. Now I've got a working solution that's based on what I tried initially and on unilover's solution. And look mom, no error messages! Smilie

Here it is:
Code:
grep -n begin /tmp/tmp.mail | awk -F : '{print $1}' | sed 's:\(.*\):tail -n +\1 /tmp/tmp.mail | uudecode:' | sh -

So first grep lists all the lines in /tmp/tmp.mail that contain "begin", and it prefixes the lines it prints with their respecive line numbers in /tmp/tmp.mail (that's what -n does).

Then awk throws away everything except the line numbers.

Then sed replaces each line number with "tail -n +\1 /tmp/tmp.mail | uudecode", where "\1" is substituted with the respective line numbers. Because this string contains slashes ("/"), we're not using the / as a separation character in the subsititute command, we're using an arbitrary other character instead (":" in our case). We could also escape them like so
Code:
sed 's/\(.*\)/tail -n +\1 \/tmp\/tmp.mail | uudecode/'

, but we're too lazy for that.

Then each of the "tail -n +\1 /tmp/tmp.mail | uudecode" strings are passed to sh, so they can be executed instead of being just standard output.

The tail and uuencode commands work as I described in my earlier post.

I guess that leaves me to try and crack Franklin52's solution next. SmilieSmilie

Last edited by ropers; 04-06-2008 at 09:33 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail -f, awk and redirection

I want to run tail -f to continuously monitor a log file, outputing a specific field to a second log file. I can get the first portion to work with the following command: tail -f log | awk '{if ($1 == "Rough") print $5}' also: awk '{if ($1 == "Rough") print $5}' <(tail -f log) The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfajer
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace last form feed with line feed

Hi I have a file with lots of line feeds and form feeds (page break). Need to replace last occurrence of form feed (created by - echo "\f" ) in the file with line feed. Please advise how can i achieve this. TIA Prvn (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract URL from RSS Feed in AWK

Hi, I have following data file; <outline title="Matt Cutts" type="rss" version="RSS" xmlUrl="http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/feed/" htmlUrl="http://www.mattcutts.com/blog"/> <outline title="Stone" text="Stone" type="rss" version="RSS" xmlUrl="http://feeds.feedburner.com/STC-Art"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fahdmirza
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK / tail Issue

Hello, I am using a tail command to fetch the line before last in a log file. the two last lines are as followed: 11-01-16 11:55:45.174 | CClientObject::InitTraceLevelInCache Starting CClientObject::InitTraceLevelInCache End I am doing a awk statement to gather only the numeric... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk remove line feed

Hi, I've this file: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, I need to remove the line feed LF every 3 row. 1,2,3, 4,5,6, Thanks in advance, Alfredo (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfreale
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix, awk to read .ksh feed

I need some advice, I have live feed containing xml messages which means there is new messages every minute. I need a script that will run every 2 hours using the current time minus 2 hours ( which I able to do) However I have problem with the date formatting i.e. One date is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: INHF
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for replacing line feed

Hello all, I have data like "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" "2"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" "3"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|" "|My_other" "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" Need output like "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokaish23
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk issue splitting a fixed-width file containing line feed in data

Hi Forum. I have the following script that splits a large fixed-width file into smaller multiple fixed-width files based on input segment type. The main command in the script is: awk -v search_col_pos=$search_col_pos -v search_str_len=$search_str_len -v segment_type="$segment_type"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Command to add Carriage Return and Line Feed

Hello, Can someone please share a Simple AWK command to append Carriage Return & Line Feed to the end of the file, If the Carriage Return & Line Feed does not exist ! Thanks (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to tail a file with unknown numbers

Hello, I would like to write script to tail a file for different environment But the number of lines are keep changing How can I write a script For example: env could : A, B or C and log files could be a.log, b.log and c.log with the number of lines can change say sometimes it 100 last... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypt_decrypt
9 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)