Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sort, duplicate removal - Query Post 302181685 by ShawnMilo on Thursday 3rd of April 2008 03:42:54 PM
Old 04-03-2008
Please post a sample of the file if this doesn't work:

Look into the -k option to sort. It will allow you to sort by specified fields.

However, I have never tried this together with the -u flag, so I'm curious as to whether it will not only sort on the -k fields, but also uniq on them...

ShawnMilo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to remove duplicate records with out sort

Can any one give me command How to delete duplicate records with out sort. Suppose if the records like below: 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 234,abc,456 712,bcd,789 out tput should be 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 Key for the records is 2nd and 3rd fields.fields are seperated by colon(,). (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove duplicate records with out sort

Can any one give me command How to delete duplicate records with out sort. Suppose if the records like below: 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 234,abc,456 712,bcd,789 out tput should be 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 Key for the records is 2nd and 3rd fields.fields are seperated by colon(,). (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of Duplicate Entries from the file

I have a file which consists of 1000 entries. Out of 1000 entries i have 500 Duplicate Entires. I want to remove the first Duplicate Entry (i,e entire Line) in the File. The example of the File is shown below: 8244100010143276|MARISOL CARO||MORALES|HSD768|CARR 430 KM 1.7 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi_rn
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort and semi-duplicate row - keep latest only

I have a pipe delimited file. Key is field 2, date is field 5 (as example, my real file is more complicated of course, but the KEY and DATE are accurate) There can be duplicate rows for a key with different dates. I need to keep only rows with latest date in this case. Example data: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort and Remove Duplicate on file

How do we sort and remove duplicate on column 1,2 retaining the record with maximum date (in feild 3) for the file with following format. aaa|1234|2010-12-31 aaa|1234|2010-11-10 bbb|345|2011-01-01 ccc|346|2011-02-01 bbb|345|2011-03-10 aaa|1234|2010-01-01 Required Output ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mabarif16
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duplicate line removal matching some columns only

I'm looking to remove duplicate rows from a CSV file with a twist. The first row is a header. There are 31 columns. I want to remove duplicates when the first 29 rows are identical ignoring row 30 and 31 BUT the duplicate that is kept should have the shortest total character length in rows 30... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Duplicate removal

I have an input file of 5GB which contains duplicate records and have to remove duplicate records by retaing first instance of that record . Based on 5 fields the duplicates has to be removed . Kindly request to help me in writing a Unix Script. Thanks Asim (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: duplicate
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort and delete partical duplicate file

I want to delete partical duplicate file >gma-miR156d Gm01,PACID=26323927 150.00 -18.28 2 18 17 35 16 75.00% 81.25% >>gma-miR156d Gm01,PACID=26323927 150.00 -18.28 150.00 -18.28 1 21 119 17 I want to order by the second column and delete the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Honey, I broke awk! (duplicate line removal in 30M line 3.7GB csv file)

I have a script that builds a database ~30 million lines, ~3.7 GB .cvs file. After multiple optimzations It takes about 62 min to bring in and parse all the files and used to take 10 min to remove duplicates until I was requested to add another column. I am using the highly optimized awk code: awk... (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
34 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

DB2 Query modification to remove duplicate values using LISTAGG function

I am using DB2 v9 and trying to get country values in comma seperated format using below query SELECT distinct LISTAGG(COUNTRIES, ',') WITHIN GROUP(ORDER BY EMPLOYEE) FROM LOCATION ; Output Achieved MEXICO,UNITED STATES,INDIA,JAPAN,UNITED KINGDOM,MEXICO,UNITED STATES The table... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
4 Replies
lsort(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  lsort(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
lsort - Sort the elements of a list SYNOPSIS
lsort ?options? list _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command sorts the elements of list, returning a new list in sorted order. The implementation of the lsort command uses the merge-sort algorithm which is a stable sort that has O(n log n) performance characteristics. By default ASCII sorting is used with the result returned in increasing order. However, any of the following options may be specified before list to control the sorting process (unique abbreviations are accepted): -ascii Use string comparison with Unicode code-point collation order (the name is for backward-compatibility reasons.) This is the default. -dictionary Use dictionary-style comparison. This is the same as -ascii except (a) case is ignored except as a tie-breaker and (b) if two strings contain embedded numbers, the numbers compare as integers, not characters. For example, in -dictionary mode, bigBoy sorts between bigbang and bigboy, and x10y sorts between x9y and x11y. -integer Convert list elements to integers and use integer comparison. -real Convert list elements to floating-point values and use floating comparison. -command command Use command as a comparison command. To compare two elements, evaluate a Tcl script consisting of command with the two elements appended as additional arguments. The script should return an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if the first element is to be considered less than, equal to, or greater than the second, respectively. -increasing Sort the list in increasing order ("smallest"items first). This is the default. -decreasing Sort the list in decreasing order ("largest"items first). -indices Return a list of indices into list in sorted order instead of the values themselves. | -index indexList If this option is specified, each of the elements of list must itself be a proper Tcl sublist. Instead of sorting based on whole sublists, lsort will extract the indexList'th element from each sublist (as if the overall element and | the indexList were passed to lindex) and sort based on the given element. For example, lsort -integer -index 1 {{First 24} {Second 18} {Third 30}} returns {Second 18} {First 24} {Third 30}, and lsort -index end-1 {{a 1 e i} {b 2 3 f g} {c 4 5 6 d h}} returns {c 4 5 6 d h} {a 1 e i} {b 2 3 f g}, and | lsort -index {0 1} { | {{b i g} 12345} | {{d e m o} 34512} | {{c o d e} 54321} | } | returns {{d e m o} 34512} {{b i g} 12345} {{c o d e} 54321} (because e sorts before i which sorts before o.) This option is much more efficient than using -command to achieve the same effect. -nocase | Causes comparisons to be handled in a case-insensitive manner. Has no effect if combined with the -dictionary, -inte- | ger, or -real options. -unique If this option is specified, then only the last set of duplicate elements found in the list will be retained. Note that duplicates are determined relative to the comparison used in the sort. Thus if -index 0 is used, {1 a} and {1 b} would be considered duplicates and only the second element, {1 b}, would be retained. NOTES
The options to lsort only control what sort of comparison is used, and do not necessarily constrain what the values themselves actually are. This distinction is only noticeable when the list to be sorted has fewer than two elements. The lsort command is reentrant, meaning it is safe to use as part of the implementation of a command used in the -command option. EXAMPLES
Sorting a list using ASCII sorting: % lsort {a10 B2 b1 a1 a2} B2 a1 a10 a2 b1 Sorting a list using Dictionary sorting: % lsort -dictionary {a10 B2 b1 a1 a2} a1 a2 a10 b1 B2 Sorting lists of integers: % lsort -integer {5 3 1 2 11 4} 1 2 3 4 5 11 % lsort -integer {1 2 0x5 7 0 4 -1} -1 0 1 2 4 0x5 7 Sorting lists of floating-point numbers: % lsort -real {5 3 1 2 11 4} 1 2 3 4 5 11 % lsort -real {.5 0.07e1 0.4 6e-1} 0.4 .5 6e-1 0.07e1 Sorting using indices: % # Note the space character before the c % lsort {{a 5} { c 3} {b 4} {e 1} {d 2}} { c 3} {a 5} {b 4} {d 2} {e 1} % lsort -index 0 {{a 5} { c 3} {b 4} {e 1} {d 2}} {a 5} {b 4} { c 3} {d 2} {e 1} % lsort -index 1 {{a 5} { c 3} {b 4} {e 1} {d 2}} {e 1} {d 2} { c 3} {b 4} {a 5} Stripping duplicate values using sorting: % lsort -unique {a b c a b c a b c} a b c More complex sorting using a comparison function: % proc compare {a b} { set a0 [lindex $a 0] set b0 [lindex $b 0] if {$a0 < $b0} { return -1 } elseif {$a0 > $b0} { return 1 } return [string compare [lindex $a 1] [lindex $b 1]] } % lsort -command compare {{3 apple} {0x2 carrot} {1 dingo} {2 banana}} {1 dingo} {2 banana} {0x2 carrot} {3 apple} SEE ALSO
list(n), lappend(n), lindex(n), linsert(n), llength(n), lsearch(n), lset(n), lrange(n), lreplace(n) KEYWORDS
element, list, order, sort Tcl 8.5 lsort(n)