Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: explain plz
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting explain plz Post 302181562 by joeyg on Thursday 3rd of April 2008 10:30:25 AM
Old 04-03-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver Here is some of it anyway

# loop thru all zip file archives (files ending .tar.gz)
for I in *.tar.gz; do
# set var A to whatever is before the .tar.gz
A=`basename $I .tar.gz`
# make a directory for the var A
mkdir $A
# copy file marking-guide to __
cp marking-guide ${A}/$A
# change directory to A
cd $A
# unzip __
gunzip -c ../$I | tar xf -
# change directory to one back
cd..
# done with loop
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

plz Help How should I configure cc compiler output file plz help???

i.e configuration of C compiler :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can anyone explain plz

HI, Can anyone explain to me how does the following command work - > current_dir=`cd \`/usr/bin/dirname $0\` && pwd` Regards, Ranga (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_W213
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

explain command plz

echo -n "1. Updating Password Policy in OID..." | tee -a $logfile set ldap_v1 = `ldapsearch -b "" -h $oid_host -p $oid_port -D "cn=orcladmin" -w $admin_pwd -s sub "cn=PwdPolicyEntry" dn | head -1` echo "dn:$ldap_v1" > ldap1.out echo "changetype:modify" >> ldap1.out echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maoro
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl doubt plz explain....

hi all i wrote a shell script which uses perl script my code is : >cat filename | while read i >do >perl -e 'require "/home/scripts/abc.pl" ; abc("$i")' >done perl script used will simply check syntax of Cobol programs but it didn't work for me so i asked my colleague he suggested... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

5. AIX

can anyone explain this?

this is the mksys b script.... can anyone explain .. what # and 1 in if condition this is the first line of the script... it is not from middle of the script.... if then echo "Not enough parameters, need a client name for mksysb" Usage="Usage: $0 <client name>" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honeym210
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain this AWK script plz

Hi frnds, one my frnds has given resolution for my problem as below. it working great , but i couldnt understand somethings in the script. Why ++ operator after the function calling. how these each block working. will each run for each input line sequencially or one block for all the lines... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
9 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Could anyone help explain this?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have a retake assignment to complete for my computer networks and OS class. This isn't really my area, had I known last year I could have swapped it for a different module I would have done so. I'm determined to get through it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Squall Moogle
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

plz explain the execution flow

CODE file=/tmp/rap54ibs2sap.txt trap "rm $file; exit" 0 1 2 3 15 trap rm $file execution result trap -- 'rm /tmp/rap54ibs2sap.txt; exit' EXIT trap -- 'rm /tmp/rap54ibs2sap.txt; exit' SIGHUP trap -- 'rm /tmp/rap54ibs2sap.txt; exit' SIGINT trap -- 'rm /tmp/rap54ibs2sap.txt;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plz explain the process of this code....

Hi Unix Gurus, Please explain the processing done by the code mentioned below: for (i=1;i<=59;i++) { sub(/ *$/,"", $i) } newrec_key = $2 new_line = $0 if (empty_oldfile==1) { #newly added record ++num_add print "Added key: ", newrec_key > LogFile #print out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ustechie
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone explain this for me?

Can someone do me a favour and explain the following for me: ((r=$RANDOM%$n+1)) I know what $RANDOM does but what is % sign and what does it do with %$n+1? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashily
2 Replies
virt-tar-out(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-tar-out(1)

NAME
virt-tar-out - Pack a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-out -a disk.img /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir - | gzip --best > files.tar.gz DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-out" packs a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. The first parameter is the absolute path of the virtual machine directory. The second parameter is the tar file to write. Use "-" to write to standard output. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a guest: virt-tar-out -d MyGuest /home - | gzip --best > homes.tar.gz JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-out(1)