Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find command in while loop - how to get control when no files found? Post 302181532 by drl on Thursday 3rd of April 2008 08:52:10 AM
Old 04-03-2008
Hi.

One could also break the pipeline into pieces, using scratch files to communicate, so that one could test the exit status of each part.

A more complex solution involves using another process for each piece, as explained in ``Answers to Unix'' Column: No. 003 -- quite inventive I think.

Some shells may offer pipefail -- bash and ksh, for example:
Quote:
If pipefail is enabled, the
pipeline's return status is the value of the last (rightmost) command
to exit with a non-zero status, or zero if all commands exit success-
fully.
-- excerpt from man bash
... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring a directory for new files with .xx and executing command if found

Hi Guys. I am a complete shell scripting newbie with some syntax and commands understanding. I'm more of a win admin. With that said: I need to write a shell script to monitor a directory '/Mon_Dir' for new occurrences of files with .xx extension. Once a new file is detected in the directory, a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krkan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with find command and list in a long format each found file

The purpose of those comands are to find the newest file in a directory acvrdind to system date, and it has to be recursively found in each directory. The problem is that i want to list in a long format every found file, but the commands i use produce unexpected results ,so the output lists in a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print as well as count the files found by find command

I want the output of the find command to be printed and also the total files found by it. Can someone help in this. Obviously $ find . -type f | wc -l will not output the files found but only the count. I want both. There can be millions and trillions of files so dont want the output of find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicon007
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through found files

Hi I am trying to write a script which will loop through all files that end in ".txt" and ask user if they want to delete the file or not #this print out all files dir=/root/etc/ find $dir -name "*.txt" output: 1.txt 2.txt etc but what i really want is 1.txt delete(Y/N): 2.txt ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calypso
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming of files with different extensions on the same path to .found with the help of loop

hi , I have certain files at the same path with differeent extensions like .dat , .txt etc ...........i need to rename them with extension .found at the same path with the help of loop.... also the files names will be like this ; abc_2010_c1.dat abc_2010_c2.dat xyz_2010_c1.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpta
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find with xargs to rm found files

I believe what is happening is rm is executing in the script on every directory and on failure of the first it stops although returns status 0. find $HOME -name /directory/filename | xargs -l rm This is the code I use but file remains. I am using sun solaris system which has way limited... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ebodee
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command in for loop

i have executed the following command in terminal find /Users/vasu -name "*.txt" -print and i am getting the result /Users/vasu/file1.txt /Users/vasu/file2.txt /Users/vasu/file3.txtbut while i was trying to execute the same in the script it is not working,I tried with below logic in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vmachava
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop error. (command not found)

can any1 please tell me what is problem with following code: i=1; cat test| while read CMD; do Var$i=$CMD; or Var$i=$(echo $CMD) ; let i++ doneI keep getting error : line 4: Var1=sometext: command not found (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Command not found" doing a while loop in bash/shell

i=0 numberofproducts=${#urls} #gets number of entries in array called "urls" numberofproductsminusone=`expr $numberofproducts - 1` #-subtract by one while do wget ${urls} i=$(( $i + 1 )) sleep 10 done I'm getting an error ./scrape: line 22: [0: command not found that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance with my Find command to identify last part of a file name and report the name found

Hello Forum, We have two bootstraps of Chef in our environment which are identified by colour: /var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_green and /var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_red I'm attempting to identify which version is installed based on the name... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
11 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)